Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Computer Question?

Computer Question?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:24 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice
Question Computer Question?

Hi all,

On my PC here in the UK I just have the mocrosoft works word processor. I have tried sending my resume to Canada but no one can open my docs as I seem to be the only one who just uses microsoft works!

Can anyone tell me where on the net I can find a microsoft word type download program so that I can at least convert my resume to word and send it out to employers?

I should be off to Canada within about 4 to 6 weeks so I dont really want to have to go out and buy microsoft word if there is another way to do it and I dont have to.

I know the basics put I am not a superstar when it comes to computers so please explain as simply as poss!!

Thanks a lot.

KJT
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer Question?

As discussed recently, .pdf is maybe the most transferable format for resumes etc.

This can be done online if you want at minimal expense (you get five free goes, but I'm not sure if its only available in the US and Canada), Try this

If you cant do it online you can download a trial version of acrobat (115Mb!!!!) from the UK site here

Remember, No A4 paper here, so format everything to look right on letter size (8.5 x 11in) paper.

You may have to save the works file as a rich text file first (.rtf) If all else fails then try sending the .rtf file instead.

From memory doesnt works save it as a .doc? that should open in word anyway. You might want to try posting something here and well see if we can open it? Its not just a problem with the A4 to letter size formatting is it?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 29th 2005 at 6:53 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:03 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
As discussed recently, .pdf is maybe the most transferable format for resumes etc.

This can be done online if you want at minimal expense (you get five free goes, but I'm not sure if its only available in the US and Canada), Try this

Remember, No A4 paper here, so format everything to look right on letter size (8.5 x 11in) paper.

You may have to save the works file as a rich text file first (.rtf) If all else fails then try sending the .rtf file instead.

From memory doesnt works save it as a .doc? that should open in word anyway. You might want to try posting something here and well see if we can open it? Its not just a problem with the A4 to letter size formatting is it?

Thanks Mate,

When I save something it defaults to a .wps type of file.
But I see that it also gives loads of other (.doc) options for saving as well including:

wordperfect 5.0 (*.doc)
wordperfect 5.x for windows (*.doc)
word 6.0/95 (*.doc)
word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc)

So if I saved as one of the above instead of the usual .wps file would ms word users be able to open my attachments and I wouldnt need to download anything else????

KJT
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:10 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

OK I have tried to save a test file as a

word 6.0/95 *.doc

instead of a wps file

Can someone let me know if it works on ms word???

Thankyou!

KJT
Attached Files
File Type: doc
just a little test.doc (11.0 KB, 105 views)
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJT
Thanks Mate,

When I save something it defaults to a .wps type of file.
But I see that it also gives loads of other (.doc) options for saving as well including:

wordperfect 5.0 (*.doc)
wordperfect 5.x for windows (*.doc)
word 6.0/95 (*.doc)
word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc)

So if I saved as one of the above instead of the usual .wps file would ms word users be able to open my attachments and I wouldnt need to download anything else????

KJT
I guess so. 97-2000 .doc is probably the way to go. Sometimes things like bullet points etc get a bit screwed up depending on what fonts people have available...thats the beauty of pdf, what you send is whey they see.

I can open the test document...but its in A4 paper format, so will print funny.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 29th 2005 at 7:13 pm.
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJT
Hi all,

I should be off to Canada within about 4 to 6 weeks so I dont really want to have to go out and buy microsoft word if there is another way to do it and I dont have to.
Here is a free program that creates PDF documents. You are not limited as to the number of times you can use it.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

Once you have installed the PDF Writer on your computer from the above mentioned web site, your computer will recognise it as a printer. To create a PDF version of a document, you open the desired document and use the Print command. When the dialogue box asks you to which printer you want to send the document, you select Cute PDF Writer.

What PDF Writer does is take a snapshot of your document. The resulting PDF document is like a photograph of your document. So, instead of having a physical print of it, which a printer would have created, you have an electronic "print" of it, which the PDF Writer created.

I'm not a computer guru either. That is my layperson's way of explaining the process, as I understand it.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Here is a free program that creates PDF documents. You are not limited as to the number of times you can use it.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

Once you have installed the PDF Writer on your computer from the above mentioned web site, your computer will recognise it as a printer. To create a PDF version of a document, you open the desired document and use the Print command. When the dialogue box asks you to which printer you want to send the document, you select Cute PDF Writer.

What PDF Writer does is take a snapshot of your document. The resulting PDF document is like a photograph of your document. So, instead of having a physical print of it, which a printer would have created, you have an electronic "print" of it, which the PDF Writer created.

I'm not a computer guru either. That is my layperson's way of explaining the process, as I understand it.

Hope that helps.
Cool! Ideal for those who dont have acrobat. EXCEPT I CANT GET IT TO WORK!!!! Just stalls on my work PC...perhaps Im not priviledged enough to install it correctly.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 29th 2005 at 8:10 pm. Reason: frustration
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Cool! Ideal for those who dont have acrobat.

Or anyone who had any sensibility at all, would switch over to a Mac.....
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh...of course. I wonder if that was part of my problem with yours? Would explain the orphaned dates and so on.

Are keys different too? I don't mean keys, I mean symbol thingies...you know what I mean. I hope Like if I type shift-three I get a pound sign but you will get a hash sign. Maybe that's why I saw your bullets as little ant thingies?

It's all becoming clear!

Biiiiink
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:46 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Like if I type shift-three I get a pound sign but you will get a hash sign.
To confuse things further the "#" sign over here is called a pound sign.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Or anyone who had any sensibility at all, would switch over to a Mac.....
Shhh...they'll all want one
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Iginla
Oh yes! Another weird one for the list. I've only just got my head around the fact that Canada Post delivers the mail, whilst Royal Mail delivers the post
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:03 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Like if I type shift-three I get a pound sign but you will get a hash sign.
Originally Posted by Iginla
More confusion; shift a few £ and buy a pound of hash.

Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:10 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
More confusion; shift a few £ and buy a pound of hash.

Wouldn't know about that not being from BC!

Maybe Willmore can update us on how many hashs for a hash of pounds?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:17 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

Ian and Judy!

Thanks for all you help on this thread.

I downloaded the cutepdf link and it works a treat!!!

What would I do without you?

(The resume is looking great Judy! Thanks again for your help over the easter weekend, what a star!)

KJT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.