Reload this Page >

competitive exam

competitive exam

Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:13 am
Just Joined

p177772005 is on a distinguished road
Default competitive exam

Hi there,
I'd like to know if there are any competitive exams in Canada to get jobs? For example, we have exams for jobs in banks, civil services, etc. Applicants clear the exam and if they pass the interview, they get the job. This is in India.

My aunt went to USA in 1992. She gave an exam there for the postal department and passed it. She got the job straight away with 17$ an hour starting pay.

My partner, who is a Canadian, don't seem to understand what I am talking about though. So, if you know anything of that sort, please share.

Thanks a lot
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:32 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: competitive exam

Originally Posted by p177772005
Hi there,
I'd like to know if there are any competitive exams in Canada to get jobs? For example, we have exams for jobs in banks, civil services, etc. Applicants clear the exam and if they pass the interview, they get the job. This is in India.

My aunt went to USA in 1992. She gave an exam there for the postal department and passed it. She got the job straight away with 17$ an hour starting pay.

My partner, who is a Canadian, don't seem to understand what I am talking about though. So, if you know anything of that sort, please share.

Thanks a lot
Not unless you are a Canadian citizen - you are talking about jobs in the Public Service (federal) that are reserved only for citizens - see the PSC website if you want confirmation of the "legal" loophole employed to exclude non-citizens from the competitions/exams. You have to apply online to get an exam date - but as soon as you identify as a PR, your application is relegated if not completely excluded and you get nowhere. You can apply for provincial government jobs as a PR - but in practice these jobs are already earmarked for someone already in-service. The external advertising is simply to shut the Union up. The way round it these days is to have "an expression of interest" advertised internally to existing employees - full time and casual -so that they can pick a local before the job even gets advertised officially.

https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/psr/applicant/applicant.helpcareerchoices;PsrSessionID=Clb3wT6JQ LPDZ2QLyJNLhvpF2739!1904897291

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 25th 2005 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Hi there,

Thanks a lot
They definitely do have this kind of exam both at the state and federal level in the US and they hire off the register of people who took the test in order of highest score down. You get extra points for being a veteran or for certain minorities, so rarely do they get below a score of 95 out of 100. My late husband was a personnel officer for a state hospital so I am VERY familiar with that system.

My husband said he has heard of them doing that here in Canada for stuff like postal workers and other lower level kind of Federal jobs. You do have to be a citizen to even take the tests though.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

wcitizen is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Thanks a lot
I don't know about civil servants jobs, but when i was looking for a survival job (before getting my current one) one that most people consider easy to get is "security guard" position. But when you apply, you are asked to to take part in an exam which makes you feel stupid and humiliated. When you are jobless and the money is running out, everything might make you feel that way, but now looking back, it doesn't look that painful!