Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Community Identified Stream

Wikiposts

Community Identified Stream

Old Oct 31st 2010, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Community Identified Stream

Hi All,
We are in the process of trying to go through this route for Nova Scotia and are in the initial stages ie trying to persuade Colchester County to sponsor us.
We have met up with Margot-Begin from Corda on several occasions and had the pleasure of having our first visit to NS last year.
We believe we have the necessary ties to NS ,but what we are lacking is references from prospective employers .We need an employer to confirm that my skills are of interest to them ,without them having to confirm in anyway
shape or form that they are offering me a job.
I have contacted various prospective employers but the only reply I have had from them was to apply for all relevant positions that come up on their web sites. Which is not what I need i just need someone in a relevant company to confirm that my skills are of interest to them
I am in the Petro- Chemical Industry and have over 24 years in this Industry,at present I work for the Old BP site at Grangemouth as a availability Technician.
My skills are transferable to control room operations,field ops in various industries, Brewers,Food Manufactures , Chemical ,Plastics etc etc basically just about anything that has a manufacturing process.
If any of you guys or gals have any contacts in NS that could assist us or have any suggestions please feel free to post them or PM me.

Cheers
Arthur & Co
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community Identified Stream

Hi
We're off to Nova Scotia soon but I can't be of any help I'm afraid.

Just thought I'd send you a reply to say "good luck" though.

Nicky
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:35 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We are going through the PNP route with Corda too. Can Margot be of any help regarding these kind of contacts? Can she suggest someone that you could contact there re employment?

I am an accountant so my contacts would be of no use to you but wishing you luck.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi All,

My skills are transferable to control room operations,field ops in various industries, Brewers,Food Manufactures , Chemical ,Plastics etc etc basically just about anything that has a manufacturing process.
If any of you guys or gals have any contacts in NS that could assist us or have any suggestions please feel free to post them or PM me.

Cheers
Arthur & Co
Have you tried the pulp and paper industry?

http://www.mystfx.ca/academic/politi...meP&PFirms.htm
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:20 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi All,
We are in the process of trying to go through this route for Nova Scotia and are in the initial stages ie trying to persuade Colchester County to sponsor us.
We have met up with Margot-Begin from Corda on several occasions and had the pleasure of having our first visit to NS last year.
We believe we have the necessary ties to NS ,but what we are lacking is references from prospective employers .We need an employer to confirm that my skills are of interest to them ,without them having to confirm in anyway
shape or form that they are offering me a job.
I have contacted various prospective employers but the only reply I have had from them was to apply for all relevant positions that come up on their web sites. Which is not what I need i just need someone in a relevant company to confirm that my skills are of interest to them
I am in the Petro- Chemical Industry and have over 24 years in this Industry,at present I work for the Old BP site at Grangemouth as a availability Technician.

Cheers
Arthur & Co
Seeing that you have visited NS once I fail to see what possible ties you think you have.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flipance
Seeing that you have visited NS once I fail to see what possible ties you think you have.

...this isn't a particularly helpful response but it does make point.
Whilst in NS you should have taken it upon yourself to make personal contact with potential line managers. That means, finding out which company is which, finding out the name of department heads etc and calling them to introduce yourself and suggest that you might think the world of them if you could pick their brains over the NS employment situation while taking coffee.

Don't speak to HR, don't answer the 'Help Wanted' ads...begin building a network of potentially useful contacts of those who are at a similar level to yourself and have an ear close to the ground.

Doing that at least half a dozen times will show CoRDA that you mean business. But don't try and BS Margot, she's a very sharp and well connected lady
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:22 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch that Arty has made a good network of people here though contacts before and after the recce that have been maintained. The goal posts have changed a bit with regards to the connections required with potential employers since he first started considering this route and hence what would have been sufficient at the time of the recce is no longer the case and why he is now having to try and gain some further contacts and expand upon the network he already has in place

Arty- I have posted a link on the ns forum as im sure there will also be people on there who may be able to help with some contacts.

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Oct 31st 2010 at 1:25 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:26 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AdrianR
...this isn't a particularly helpful response but it does make point.
I personaly think it was helpful, Community IDENTIFIED stream means what it says! You actually have to be part of a community, Simple isn't it?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:31 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I personaly think it was helpful, Community IDENTIFIED stream means what it says! You actually have to be part of a community, Simple isn't it?
Intepreted in different ways by RDA's depending on where you are looking to settle.

Some RDA's insist you buy a house which demonstrates commitment etc to a community, when in reality if you can afford it, doesnt mean a thing,anyone can buy a house. Some RDA's look at other aspects re ability to settle within an area, support network and skills and economic contribution you can in turn bring to a community, some apply the rules to the letter and insist on strong community ties.

I came through this route after having visited once, along with a number of other people, like I mentioned above it does all depend on the RDA you are approaching as to what they are looking for, for their community/county.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

we always encourage our people to go and see the NSPNP office on Brunswick Street in Halifax first as they can usually identify which skills set would work for you here, I take it that you went there on your visit? if not you could contact them as ultimately that is where your application will end up when you have been nominated by Corda. Are you a couple? have you considered both of you getting your skills sets assessed here?
I agree with some of the other comments you may need to make another trip over and do the led work here with some face to face meetings with employers that may be a good match for your skill sets, if not then you could contact recruitment agencies and ask what employers they are currently dealing with in your field that you could contact..
applying for jobs will not help you as no NS employer would consider offering you a job until you are eligible and if you did get a job offer then you could come on a work permit and wouldnt need CIS.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:37 pm
887 lb pumpkin

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
doesnt mean a thing,anyone can buy a house.
Oh can they?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:44 pm

Oh can they?
if they have the cash , yes

It has been seen that some RDA's make this their criteria, if this works for the individual applying then great, I was just looking to highlight that there are differences, depending on whom you are looking to go through.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that I have sufficient contacts in NS that allow me to go through this Route ,but thanks for your reply Pumkin Head lol:
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi ,
yes I have been in contact with the NSPNP office and we are a family of four ,my wife works as a retail manager and her skills would be acceptable.My problem as highlighted by Nikki are the goal posts have changed since I was last over and I now find that a prospective employer is needed to confirm my skills are in demand.
I will try some of the recruiting agencies and see were that leads.
Thanks for your input.

Arthur

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
we always encourage our people to go and see the NSPNP office on Brunswick Street in Halifax first as they can usually identify which skills set would work for you here, I take it that you went there on your visit? if not you could contact them as ultimately that is where your application will end up when you have been nominated by Corda. Are you a couple? have you considered both of you getting your skills sets assessed here?
I agree with some of the other comments you may need to make another trip over and do the led work here with some face to face meetings with employers that may be a good match for your skill sets, if not then you could contact recruitment agencies and ask what employers they are currently dealing with in your field that you could contact..
applying for jobs will not help you as no NS employer would consider offering you a job until you are eligible and if you did get a job offer then you could come on a work permit and wouldnt need CIS.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Nikki,
Thanks for the support ,I see there are still a few ankle nibblers about here.
Jjust when the timing is right for us to go down this road ,they go and rip up the script.Well we will just have to seen were this new path leads us to, again cheers for all of your support you have given.

Arthur & Co

i
Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I can vouch that Arty has made a good network of people here though contacts before and after the recce that have been maintained. The goal posts have changed a bit with regards to the connections required with potential employers since he first started considering this route and hence what would have been sufficient at the time of the recce is no longer the case and why he is now having to try and gain some further contacts and expand upon the network he already has in place

Arty- I have posted a link on the ns forum as im sure there will also be people on there who may be able to help with some contacts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.