Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Canada...in 2 months time...help!!

Coming to Canada...in 2 months time...help!!

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Coming to Canada...in 2 months time...help!!

Hi all,

I have just stumbled across this wonderful site and hope to make some networks and some useful advice...: ) ... from those who have made the journey to Canada or are, like me are embarking upon it.

It seems like ages ago since I applied for Canada but due to other things going on in my life, I just can't believe that the time has now come to: 1. pack my bags (not so simple as that, I have a few wardrobes full of clothes & & lots of other stuff to deal with); 2. hand in my notice in my relatively new job (in light of credit crunch in UK, people will think I'm crazy! oh, I just saw in Canada newpaper the headline for December that Canada is in Recession!!); 3. Get myself over to Canada and find shelter & work!
Pretty simple eh?!! noooo...

Destination: Vancouver.

I have some (silly) questions & would appreciate your advice/tips to them:

1. I gave in 2 pictures as part of my Permanent Resident application. One of the pictures is attached to the Immigration Papers. Does anyone know what happened to the other one? Somewhere in an office... Is this used for the Permanent Resident Card?

2. Permanent Resident Card. Apparently from what I have read, I do not need to actually apply for this and I have already paid for this. So, please could someone give me, step by step, on how this actually works?!! Do I just arrive in Vancouver and then they will have my details on the computer or something and then they will send the PR Card out to me to a Canadian postal address I give them? Do they take my picture at the airport? What do I have to do to get this PR Card?

3. Shelter/housing: Any tips on hostels, room lets etc? Approx price, what it includes, any minimum length of time or can do room let on a 1 month basis or need sign a contract for 6 or 12 months? Any useful websites? Anywhere to avoid or any recommendations?

4. Work: I know this is probably a common one, but any tips? use of recruitment agencies? where to get a list? useful websites? Any recommendations or where to avoid? Is preferred method: email/telephone rather than just walking into the company's offices (would they be ok with this?)

5. Recruitment Agencies Fees: Do they operate similar to the UK, ie. that the Employer pays the Recruitment Agency? I thought I heard that sometimes the Employee pays. Hopefully, if this is disclosed (& not in tiny print) prior to instruction of the Recruitment Agency then its ok.

6. Shipping Company: any tips or recommendation or any to really avoid?

Ok, thats all for now.

Its all abit overwhelming at the moment since it feels like I have so much stuff to do and its also emotionally hard time since leaving family behind in UK.

But it has always been a dream of mine to live in Canada... and when I gradually get underway with my massive list of "things to do" ... & hand in my notice (before end of Jan 2009) & buy that plane ticket... its gonna be a really really big adventure!!! Just hope I manage to find shelter & work!... don't wanna be coming back to UK after just a few weeks/mths...

I look forward to your comments!

Many thanx S

Last edited by AmyDavid; Jan 12th 2009 at 9:38 pm. Reason: Just making it easier to read :)
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coming to Canada...in 2 months time...help!!

Hello Special.

I am something of a newbie in here and i have to say this place has been vital in broadening my knowledge of what is for me, a terrifying and exciting prospect of migrating to Canada.

First and foremost, you will be recommended to check out the 'wiki' resource, in the blue bar at the top of this page. it is stuffed with articles which are themselves, filled with links to resources you would probably never find otherwise.

As with many people, i have just received my PR visa, and with all the things to sell and month long notices to give, i too am looking at going to Vancouver in a month or two.

Regarding your Qs...

1. i dunno what they do with all the photos. gawd knows i had to send in enough of them. i don't really care. I am sure the Uk gov has one, the canada gov has one and no doubt the CIA!

2. when you go to canada with the intent to stay, you will go thru a 'landing process'; ie your visa is used for its one time only and your entry to the country is recorded. this swings into motion your perm. resident status which in turn has your PR card issued after a few weeks to the address you either provide then, or within a set time frame later on.

3. housing. i think i will be finding some cheap hotel / motel / B&B in a place i tentatively would wish to set up home. i would then tour the neighbourhood and find a decent place to rent for up to 12 months.

hopefully within this first year, the rent will be 'decent' enough to have not consumed my savings, and the economic climate will see a return to prosperity and cheap houses for sale. i reckon though local adverts in papers and store windows might be good

4. work. the wiki link above excells in this topic. but basically, you gotta get out there, impress and press the flesh. carry a wad of resumes and contact cards; talk to everyone and tap into the 80% of all vacancies which are not advertised!

5. not sure about the fees for employment (or estate) agents. although what little i have heard, seems to suggest things are as they are in the UK.

6. this i am yet to examine. i am inclined though to take as little as possible and buy out there.

all in all, i too (and no doubt everyone else) is / was overwhelmed. i have posted the above in the hope that it answers your Q's at least a little, but if not or if i am flat out wrong, then someone more wiser than i, can come in and correct me.

the best of luck (to us all!)

Last edited by paolosmythe; Jan 13th 2009 at 11:56 am.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Hi Paolosmythe,
Thank you for your response & soz for my belated one.
Lots going on & zillion things to organise... have handed in my notice so should give me more time now to focus on this move.

I've bought my 1-way plane ticket, depart in March 2009!

Will need to look in more detail at the "Wiki" you mentioned.

I wonder how detailed the "Goods to follow" needs to be?
Is there a specimen form??

When are you going over to Vancouver and what are your plans?
S
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Hello Special....

No stress on your slow replies.... these are busy and exciting times!

My plans, were to go to Vancouver asap. Now i am less sure.

I prewarn you that i am a cautious type, so don't regret handing in your notice and buying your flight once having read what i put here....

but with all things considered, my plans to migrate are on hold i guess.

the dwindling job market; the terrible £ to $ exchange rate and a housing market which still seems to be some way from bottoming out proper....

well aside from going over for perhaps a 2 week recce in March, my only plan is to stay in London but make sure to land in Canada before my June deadline.

and that is it.

right now, i am left to feel grateful for still having a job and a degree of stability (such as it is)..... maybe i am too old / have been 'swimming up river' for too long already, to jack in what most people would love to have?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Coming to Canada...in 2 months time...help!!

Hi P,

Everyone's situation is different and its a personal choice: so you just have to do what you feel is right.

My original plan/thoughts were to go over (return ticket, take holiday leave from work) to Canada (& validate my VISA) and return back to UK to my job.
But things changed and I guess I thought, amongst other things, I'm not getting any younger and there is no perfect time in this economic climate - I mean, how long can you wait for the economy to pick up?

Maybe I am foolish taking this big leap... a big leap in faith!... I've asked my friends around me before I handed my notice, if they thought I was being foolish, but all my friends supports me to do it now. My family are different - I guess they don't want me to go which is emotionally exhausting as it makes it hard...

Hindsight is a wonderful thang, somfin I don't have!!
But I do not believe in regret - You make decisions based on what you know and feel at the time and whatever happens, its a learning experience.
I do know that if I do not do this now (this whole move/immigration) that I will regret this even more.

Any tips or where I can get hold of a specimen "good to follow" form or is there a form anywhere???

Whats your field of work/qualifications?

PS: You state "to jack in what most people would love to have?" ~ I don't believe its about what "most people would love to have", its more about what you want (taking into account your partner/kids?).
I guess, I'm following my dream. It is terrifying. I am frequently feeling sh*t scared but once I finish work I can start to focusing and organising my move.

Hopefully it'll all work out - if not, I guess return back to Uk & find a sofa (if family still talking to me!) to crash on!!?? Returning to UK will be tough, since I've quit my job and lots of change to make this move happen, but I guess, better to have tried than not? But no-one predicted this global economic downturn.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

well you speak a lot of sense and clearly your decisions aren't entirely blind leaps of faith... you've given it a shed load of thought before hand and have weighed up the risks and even got a 'sleep on the sofa' plan!

for me..... i have no network of family or friends to fall back on if things go pear shaped. and so when i go to canada (and i will definitely go) it MUST work out.

i guess from being an impoverished student in London, who on graduation was down to his last £100 (and had to borrow money to buy a job interview suit), my currently still having a job whilst all those around me lose their's, makes me grateful that i still have an income.

the exchange rate is a lesser concern, because such things will always fluctuate to make winners and losers.... but as my migratory plans started when a quid bought you $2.35.... the current $1.70 compells me to save up even more money before moving......

anyways, as you say, it all comes down to personal situations and priorities and we will all, always overcome the obstacles in life which make it so interesting.

on to more specific things....

the goods to follow list needn't be on any special form.... just hand write (neatly) a list, or create an excel spreadsheet. and it can be vague.... eg 'bag of hockey kit'; 'suitcase of clothes'; 'sack of towels'...

the only specifics regard electronic goods.... which need make model and serial numbers being listed!

this whole list's purpose is to ensure you are not seen as a goods importer and thus open to taxation when your cargo of possessions finally makes it over!

and yes... there's a wiki page dedicated to it! http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

oh and my work is in construction management (information control) but my qualifications are in marine biology! (diverse or just adaptable!!?)

Last edited by paolosmythe; Jan 30th 2009 at 10:17 am.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent a PM with a few of our contacts and thoughts......
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:36 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

ello - - -we used criaglist to find a rental - - - -
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:37 am
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Special1
Hi all,

I have just stumbled across this wonderful site and hope to make some networks and some useful advice...: ) ... from those who have made the journey to Canada or are, like me are embarking upon it.

It seems like ages ago since I applied for Canada but due to other things going on in my life, I just can't believe that the time has now come to: 1. pack my bags (not so simple as that, I have a few wardrobes full of clothes & & lots of other stuff to deal with); 2. hand in my notice in my relatively new job (in light of credit crunch in UK, people will think I'm crazy! oh, I just saw in Canada newpaper the headline for December that Canada is in Recession!!); 3. Get myself over to Canada and find shelter & work!
Pretty simple eh?!! noooo...

Destination: Vancouver.

I have some (silly) questions & would appreciate your advice/tips to them:

1. I gave in 2 pictures as part of my Permanent Resident application. One of the pictures is attached to the Immigration Papers. Does anyone know what happened to the other one? Somewhere in an office... Is this used for the Permanent Resident Card?

2. Permanent Resident Card. Apparently from what I have read, I do not need to actually apply for this and I have already paid for this. So, please could someone give me, step by step, on how this actually works?!! Do I just arrive in Vancouver and then they will have my details on the computer or something and then they will send the PR Card out to me to a Canadian postal address I give them? Do they take my picture at the airport? What do I have to do to get this PR Card?

3. Shelter/housing: Any tips on hostels, room lets etc? Approx price, what it includes, any minimum length of time or can do room let on a 1 month basis or need sign a contract for 6 or 12 months? Any useful websites? Anywhere to avoid or any recommendations?

4. Work: I know this is probably a common one, but any tips? use of recruitment agencies? where to get a list? useful websites? Any recommendations or where to avoid? Is preferred method: email/telephone rather than just walking into the company's offices (would they be ok with this?)

5. Recruitment Agencies Fees: Do they operate similar to the UK, ie. that the Employer pays the Recruitment Agency? I thought I heard that sometimes the Employee pays. Hopefully, if this is disclosed (& not in tiny print) prior to instruction of the Recruitment Agency then its ok.

6. Shipping Company: any tips or recommendation or any to really avoid?

Ok, thats all for now.

Its all abit overwhelming at the moment since it feels like I have so much stuff to do and its also emotionally hard time since leaving family behind in UK.

But it has always been a dream of mine to live in Canada... and when I gradually get underway with my massive list of "things to do" ... & hand in my notice (before end of Jan 2009) & buy that plane ticket... its gonna be a really really big adventure!!! Just hope I manage to find shelter & work!... don't wanna be coming back to UK after just a few weeks/mths...

I look forward to your comments!

Many thanx S
1. They require 2 for their records and that's it.

2. Trust me you did the best thing getting the PR straight away and not the work permit which would have restricted you to one job only until you got that PR. The PR opens many doors and you are welcomed to Canada as in you now have status to stay here permanently, not the case with a work permit, there is a time limit of up to 3 yrs. Most importantly to all that, you gain alot of your money back from relocating expenses etc on your first tax return in Canada after your first year of being here, something I came to find out on filling out my tax return from the Goverment, and I never got as much back as I would have had I had my PR already, e.g. prior to moving over, how annoyed was I? It was also alot of money I lost out on, so rest assured you have done it the best way, be very happy about that one. You can also work where you want and are not restricted to one job. You also saved yourself a load of paperwork and more money down the drain, as applying for both as I did costs more, and more paperwork for the next process from work permit to permanent residence. So good move on that one is all I can say.

3. The hostels are superb! Seriously, and here is the website, prices vary but work out around 10 pounds a night equivelent on average:
http://www.hihostels.ca/

4. Your quickest bet and what I always do when I want work fast, is here, ensure it is not Toronto at the top of the page as it always seems to automatically go to that province. Just delete toronto and insert the province you aim to be in and it will take you to it:

http://www.craigslist.ca
You can find agencies via that site, but here is another and it is government ran: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca

5. No is the answer to that, there are some that do but avoid those ones, as they are usually free from all I've seen, certainly the two I signed up with, did not need them as it happens but hence I know it does not cost necessarily no.

6. For Shipping I had a good one:

Fast Lane International. http://www.flci.co.uk.

Don't forget your medical insurance which is required! Another good one:
'21st Century Travel Insurance Ltd': http://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/visi...y_visitors.php

Though as a permanent resident you may want to just get this, I am with Pacific blue cross on a permanent basis, and it may only be applicable here in BC. You can get coverage for a minimum of $15 pcm, or $30 if you want medications coverage on an ongoing basis, you pay 20% for all meds basically and they pay the other 80% so it is well worth it, plus the medical insurance covers you worldwide:
http://www.pbchbs.com/Corp/individual/Default.aspx

You need it prior to getting your healthcareCanada card. It is law that you have to once you are a permanent residence or citizen of Canada, and it costs you $54 pcm for a single person, a bit more if it is family coverage. Again this particular one is applicable for BC province:
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/

Just bear in mind that once your boxes arrive at the depot you are required to drive there or transport yourself there to collect them, you can arrange delivery too but you still have to go there in person first, which was bizarre to me as well but that's the procedure here. The shipping companies are all expensive especially when you add it up with the amount of boxes you bring and I brought only my necessities and was fortunate to get my money back via my relocation package with my first job I was contracted into prior to moving out. However, the shipping company I used did have a good rate compared to many others I looked at, and I had no problems when my boxes arrived all intact. I did size down, but don't be afraid to, as the heavier your freight the more it will cost you and trust me it does not have to be that heavy to cost alot. I just looked at it as better and easier to sell up the things I can replace again once out there, plus remember your electric plug is not the same as the one over here so get rid of the electrics for starters. You can use an adapter type of device - not that cheap (you can't use an iron with UK plug on them as it melts the adaptor and costs you more money when you have to buy another adaptor, I did that by mistake twice, did not do it a 3rd time. I use the adaptor for my epilator and HiFi that I did bring over from the UK but this hifi has never had any problems hence I've kept it. It's not really an adaptor as you know it, best is to go to an electrical store once you get here and ask for the device that you can use e.g. 240 watts hifi on the Canadian socket at home. They will get it for you.

It is stressful moving, but it is also very exciting, especially once you get here, I loved it once I was here, the first month I was mostly out exploring and having fun doing so. Make a good friend (I had one lined up prior to moving over) and get them to be your tour guide, I had a free tour guide - the friend, who offered to be my tour guide

Remember family and friends are just a telephone and aeroplane flight away, and you can always skype, msn, or email them ongoing too. Web cam even.

Good luck!

Last edited by blackcomb1; Feb 2nd 2009 at 7:41 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
The shipping companies are all expensive especially when you add it up with the amount of boxes you bring ,
At first we decided not to ship anything because it was sooooo expensive but not long before we moved we were put in touch with SHE maritime (google it) a private/local international shipper - We crated our stuff into 3 1.5mtr long .75 meter square wooden boxes each weighed about 400kg and it cost 500 gbp to get it to our door everything all in and paid. Highly recommended.

Wish we had found them earlier - we would have brough alot more.