Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:36 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Originally Posted by babycart
..When will we all stop kidding ourselves and face up to the reality that all our governments have sold us down the river.
Really? Seems to me that our governments have given us what we wanted. We wanted easy credit and spurious material wealth, and we got it. Our parents knew that consumer debt is bad, and governments probably did too. But politics is about survival, and a government that cautiously keeps a country out of an expanding global wealth bubble does not survive long.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:45 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NSpaul
most of it manufacturing - I would guess auto industry is a large chunk
I know there's more than just the 'Big 3' making cars in Ontario, but the bosses of "American Leyland" really should be nominated for Darwin awards in recognition of their remarkable success in wrecking the survivability of their industry. This has been coming for years.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agr
I don't think the UK-CA exchange rate can be called dreadful, at least not yet. It's still within 10% of $2 to the £. Look at the 12-months graph of the CA$ and compare with the one for the US$ which really has gone pete tong.

Canadian property prices cannot be generalised nationally, but in most places that saw big rises they have fallen substantially in the last 6 months - and they certainly look very affordable to UK-based buyers. I've just been on a househunting trip to Edmonton and £100 per sq ft is a rough benchmark for homes in mature neighbourhoods.

There's a lot of doom and gloom on the forums just now, and that's understandable. But there have always been risks to emigration and it's always been necessary to weigh them very carefully before giving up financial security in one country to move to another. Those risks remain very specific to individual circumstances. For some people, it's the taking of the risk that brings the whole project to life - the entrepreneurial spirit. For others, there may be little security in the UK, thus few reasons to remain.

Chutley's point is that economic reasons for migrating have all but vanished - and that's fair enough. But I would be surprised if many recent UK-CA migrants were motivated by money alone, and my point is that many of the other reasons have not changed.

Bottom line: financial risks have changed, but the need for each migrant to consider them very carefully with regard to his/her own circumstances has not.
Hi,

House prices in general in Alberta have dropped over the last 12 months or so as we receive listings and you can see the difference in prices.

Emigration is a risk, there's no argument there. But having been told and offered so much by this company all in emails and writing - with LMO the lot!

I thought we'd covered all angles and made our move as secure as we possibly could in terms of several reccie's ie. Job offer, Rental place, schools, car purchase, shipping, the lot!

So in real terms, we'd miniumised the risk as much as you possibly could. especially when you consider people have posted on here from Alberta that've not even been to Canada before. Now that's what I'd call risk!

For us, it was never about the money - never! I had two job offers, and took the one with the lower pay as they seemed more professional, people were nice, honest, and secure in terms of contracts etc..

For us, it was always about giving the children a better chance - and standard of living. The money, always was, and always will be, - secondary!

Cheers

Y
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:57 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi,

House prices in general in Alberta have dropped over the last 12 months or so as we receive listings and you can see the difference in prices.

Emigration is a risk, there's no argument there. But having been told and offered so much by this company all in emails and writing - with LMO the lot!

I thought we'd covered all angles and made our move as secure as we possibly could in terms of several reccie's ie. Job offer, Rental place, schools, car purchase, shipping, the lot!

So in real terms, we'd miniumised the risk as much as you possibly could. especially when you consider people have posted on here from Alberta that've not even been to Canada before. Now that's what I'd call risk!

For us, it was never about the money - never! I had two job offers, and took the one with the lower pay as they seemed more professional, people were nice, honest, and secure in terms of contracts etc..

For us, it was always about giving the children a better chance - and standard of living. The money, always was, and always will be, - secondary!

Cheers

Y
Yogi, you have my sympathy and I hope you get an honest briefing from them when you get through. See if you can google the CEO's secretary's phone number and explain that you need a two-minute conversation with The Boss. It might be that your correspondent (in HR?) is just off sick at the moment!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agr
Yogi, you have my sympathy and I hope you get an honest briefing from them when you get through. See if you can google the CEO's secretary's phone number and explain that you need a two-minute conversation with The Boss. It might be that your correspondent (in HR?) is just off sick at the moment!
agr,

I wish it was as you're suggesting, these were my thoughts intially - sickness etc.. Not the case. I've left two messages on voicemail, two emails, over a two week period!

It's odd to say the least. As for contacting the Boss! The person I've been dealing with is the BOSS Well, Director of HR in any case.

Thanks for the thought, I'll see what Monday or Tuesday brings. If I just had an answer either way? I can deal with it then and move on..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Cheers

Y
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:07 pm
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I haven't read through the complete content of this thread but wanted to add to what I have seen in the 16 hours I have been in Calgary!

I arrived yesterday at 4pm local time for a 3 day recce trip before we move in January, I drove to the hotel, booked in and then went out for about 3 hours for a drive around - everywhere I went there were still help wanted signs - I have to admit that was mainly shops, hotels and eateries as I didn't go off route downtown or into the industrial areas but from what I have seen in just a few hours the help wanted signs are still in abundance!

I will be out and about abit more today so will make mental notes of help wanted signs and report in again tonight.

Jan
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebakers4
Hi there,

I haven't read through the complete content of this thread but wanted to add to what I have seen in the 16 hours I have been in Calgary!

I arrived yesterday at 4pm local time for a 3 day recce trip before we move in January, I drove to the hotel, booked in and then went out for about 3 hours for a drive around - everywhere I went there were still help wanted signs - I have to admit that was mainly shops, hotels and eateries as I didn't go off route downtown or into the industrial areas but from what I have seen in just a few hours the help wanted signs are still in abundance!

I will be out and about abit more today so will make mental notes of help wanted signs and report in again tonight.

Jan
Calgary in particular and Alberta in general are so far not being hit anywhere near as hard as other areas of the country.

Ontario is being particularly hard hit because it is the manufacturing centre of Canada.

A couple of very recent article on unemployment figures regarding Alberta and Calgary.

Job outlook mixed for Calgary

Albertans should expect some job losses, economists say

Link to video news clip: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip119334#clip119334

Hope this also helps in some small way.

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 6th 2008 at 3:33 pm. Reason: Added video clip
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi there,

Jan
Hi Jan,

Many Thanks for your input Jan. As you say it's mainly shops etc.. It would be the main income I'd be concerned about, as it would need to be thousands to be honest.

The way things are, I think we maybe sitting it out for PR. We too was expecting a Jan/Feb 09 landing but as things don't look to good on the job offer now I'm inclined to hold back a while as I think Canada just maybe starting to gett the ripples of the global financial situation.

Which if it bites, and bites hard I think those on TWP will be the first out the door! I hope not, but it's been mooted on here

I wish u luck

Y
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Calgary in particular and Alberta in general are so far not being hit anywhere near as hard as other areas of the country.

Ontario is being particularly hard hit because it is the manufacturing centre of Canada.

A couple of very recent article on unemployment figures regarding Alberta and Calgary.

Job outlook mixed for Calgary

Albertans should expect some job losses, economists say

Link to video news clip: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip119334#clip119334

Hope this also helps in some small way.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the post, and yes it all helps every input no matter how small is all very helpful if you're at this end, and about to take the leap!

Keep it coming

Cheers

Y
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Jan

Hi Jan, lots of help wanted signs in my part of Ontario too....but like you have said, virtually all are minimum wage (or close to it) service industy e.g MacDonalds, Tim Hortons, A & W etc... Little else as far as I can see
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Boo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really nice

Hey Yogi, Boo Boo here (sorry couldn't resist)
Although i'm not in Calgery i do work in the same line of work as you & can only say that here on van Island things have really slowed down & as a previous poster said Canadian employers have no hesitation when it comes to laying workers off. I am not surprised to be honest that you have had no response from your prospective employer as i've found if they can avoid a confrontation they will.
Please take this huge warning sign & at least postpone coming if at all possible, the job offer has almost certainly gone & the chances of you or anyone else finding a job in the heating/electrical field will be at present like looking for a needle in a hay stack unless you know people & can network like crazy.
I wish you all the best & if I can be of any small help just pm me.

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
agr,

I wish it was as you're suggesting, these were my thoughts intially - sickness etc.. Not the case. I've left two messages on voicemail, two emails, over a two week period!

It's odd to say the least. As for contacting the Boss! The person I've been dealing with is the BOSS Well, Director of HR in any case.

Thanks for the thought, I'll see what Monday or Tuesday brings. If I just had an answer either way? I can deal with it then and move on..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Cheers

Y
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:51 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jancal
I will keep a few posts coming with updates. Brownstar has stated that Calgary has just been awarded a couple of projects. Brownstar are they in O&G? Whatever they are that is great news.
Yep and there are few more possibilities out there..............the most disruptive thing in Alberta has been the postponement of the Fort Hills project by Petro-Canada.......price of oil to low at present to make it economically viable, however there are plenty of other projects that are continuing and others out there at the tender stage, although they look to be of a smaller size at present.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Bottom line: financial risks have changed, but the need for each migrant to consider them very carefully with regard to his/her own circumstances has not.
So important that it should be in flashing 48 point text on the home page of the forum.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in BC is at a 40 year low, and is forecast to remain that way at least for 2009.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...f-5d9cc481d52a

I agree with other posters that if the only, or even main, motivation for emigrating is financial gain then this could be a good time to pause for thought. However, if you are considering Canada as your destination for other sound reasons I think there is still opportunity for resourceful and flexible people.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
So important that it should be in flashing 48 point text on the home page of the forum.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in BC is at a 40 year low, and is forecast to remain that way at least for 2009.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...f-5d9cc481d52a

I agree with other posters that if the only, or even main, motivation for emigrating is financial gain then this could be a good time to pause for thought. However, if you are considering Canada as your destination for other sound reasons I think there is still opportunity for resourceful and flexible people.
That article is dated May 7, 2008 and well times have changed since then.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...-.html?ref=rss

Here is an article from November 2008.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That article is dated May 7, 2008
Oops! I was trying to find a link to the Stats Can report that in November the unemployment rate in BC fell (from 5.1% to 4.9% if I remember correctly) against the national trend.

Must try harder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.