Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:47 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I would hope that the OP's "boss and the rest of the guys" are feeling equally betrayed by Stephen Harper and the Conservatives who started this whole constitutional mess.
The good ol' boys feel betrayed and the fear that the lefties might get in is just killing them.

OMG unions, gender equality, workers' right OFGMG Chikkun Little says the sky is falling.

R.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:59 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Up to this point in time that has been true but the uncertainty in Ottawa is not helping the economy in general thus it also affects Alberta.

However not any more than any other province and there is no real reason to blame Ottawa for Alberta's current woes.

I would hope that the OP's "boss and the rest of the guys" are feeling equally betrayed by Stephen Harper and the Conservatives who started this whole constitutional mess.
God I really must get on with some work whilst there still is some.

Yes I did say ALL the bozos in Ottawa.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jancal
God I really must get on with some work whilst there still is some.
On the other hand maybe you should drag it out as long as you can.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:14 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jancal
Perhaps I should qualify that to those not in the West then. And I did pass my citizenship test thanks.

I can't be arsed to explain my rant about Ottawa - I guess you have to be in Alberta to appreciate it - but I felt my comments might help some who are thinking of making a move here. The opportunities are drying up fast.
Come on jancal. Tell us about the bozos in Ottawa. I'm on the edge of my seat.

No good aiming a rant at people outside Alberta then saying you can't be arsed to explain it to people who aren't in Alberta. At least, it's no good if you hope to be taken seriously.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand why Alberta won't have representation in a coalition. Are they now separatists as well? Vive L'Alberta libre??
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't understand why Alberta won't have representation in a coalition. Are they now separatists as well? Vive L'Alberta libre??
I assume its because Alberta don't have an over abundance of non-conservative MPs.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gryphea
I assume its because Alberta don't have an over abundance of non-conservative MPs.
Maybe, so the same could be said of any area that hasn't voted for the current government. It's a non argument really.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Boo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really nice

[QUOTE=jancal;7037464]I would like to add my comments for those still in the UK thinking of coming to Alberta. I am sorry to be the prophet of doom. There will be many more instances of contract reneging as has happened in a previous post. Employers in Alberta have no hesitation in letting anyone go when times get tough and especially those on work permits – you will be the first. Contracts will be null and void. It has happened before and sadly looks like happening again. If Canadians are losing their jobs they will have no hesitation in casting you adrift - there is no safety net here.

Great post and well timed , im afraid this is not limited to Alberta , BC seems to be having a similar wobble .
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:24 pm

I think we only have one NDP MP from Alberta the rest were all Conservatives (Reform)
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:35 pm

Maybe, so the same could be said of any area that hasn't voted for the current government. It's a non argument really.
This has been the sore point with many Albertans for many years.

They vote Conservative and the Liberals mostly win so no representation in Government.

You have to remember Alberta has been Conservative in one form or another politically virtually since they joined confederation.

When the Peter Lougheed lead Conservatives first came to power in 1971 it was almost like electing Liberals as they were that much further to the left than the Social Credit Party had been.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:50 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agr
Come on jancal. Tell us about the bozos in Ottawa. I'm on the edge of my seat.

No good aiming a rant at people outside Alberta then saying you can't be arsed to explain it to people who aren't in Alberta. At least, it's no good if you hope to be taken seriously.
OK just got home but will just do bullet points as don’t have much time as its pub night..

The view from Alberta – not necessarily my views.
The Liberals and the NDP are no friends of Alberta.
Carbon tax - Liberals
Anti-oilsands- NDP
Quebec is a long way away and they want to separate
It’s a big country and there seems to be big rivalry and a lot of jealousy.
They (those not in the West) did not look after us in the 80s (I wasn’t here then) when things were bad indeed the Liberals (Trudeau) caused a massive downturn in the oil/gas business
Don’t want that to happen again
So we all vote Conservative as it’s the party we see as being at least on our side.
So then we have an election and minority government for the Conservatives
Much joy Downtown Calgary
Then Mr Harper pokes at the others causes them to throw their toys out of the pram and try to overturn the government.
Not another bloody election
Or worse still a coalition where we have no representation.
No liberals/NDP MPs from Alberta – think I am right there
Very bad then for Alberta – don’t want to invest in a place that does not please the government and does not have a voice.
A lot of projects have been put on hold anyway because of our nonsense Premier and his royalty review – that is my view
So we had been told that at least our Banking system was in good shape and that the global storm will not be too bad
Then instability in the government who wants to invest in a Banana Republic.
Could they not just once just think of what was best for the country and try to agree and put power struggles aside

Anyway don’t see why I shouldn’t have a good rant – does a girl good – you ask those people not in the West it seems to do them no harm – keyboards at the ready.

Guess I am into self-preservation as I love living in Calgary and do not want to have to leave but the simple matter is no jobs we move on. I have had to move quite a few times because of downturns and my initial thread just wanted to warn people.

Don’t pull me up for grammar or spelling – I am in the middle of getting ready to go out.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:10 am
Account Closed

This has been the sore point with many Albertans for many years.

They vote Conservative and the Liberals mostly win so no representation in Government.

You have to remember Alberta has been Conservative in one form or another politically virtually since they joined confederation.

When the Peter Lougheed lead Conservatives first came to power in 1971 it was almost like electing Liberals as they were that much further to the left than the Social Credit Party had been.
But they have MPs to represent and speak for them on local issues, non party political ones. They are as disenfranchised as the residents of Peterborough who have a Conservative MP. ie they aren't. IMO it's a spurious argument.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:35 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

My location has nothing to do with it, and if you had done your citizenship test, you would know Ontario is "Central" Canada
Ontario is generally known as the East here, which of course it is from here.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:36 am

But they have MPs to represent and speak for them on local issues, non party political ones. They are as disenfranchised as the residents of Peterborough who have a Conservative MP. ie they aren't. IMO it's a spurious argument.
It might very well be a spurious argument but unfortunately it's how a lot of people out here feel and it is heartfelt by most of them.

No amount of pointing out he truth of the matter is going to win them over believe me I've lived here for most of my 45 years in Canada.

I very much love living out here in Alberta and Calgary in particular but politically it drives me nuts.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Up to this point in time that has been true but the uncertainty in Ottawa is not helping the economy in general thus it also affects Alberta.

However not any more than any other province and there is no real reason to blame Ottawa for Alberta's current woes.

Not only that, but who are doing diddlysquat to prevent job losses in Alberta and every where else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.