Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Come home, Scotland urges expats

Come home, Scotland urges expats

Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Come home, Scotland urges expats

Anyone going to take them up on this .......
Article in Toronto Star

Come home, Scotland urges expats - Campaign to boost lagging population - Country can offer more than just haggis.

<<article removed due to copyright issues. Do not cut and paste copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or have permission to reproduce the article. Instead you may post the first few lines of the article and a link.>>

Last edited by Sue; Oct 13th 2005 at 2:25 pm. Reason: Article removed due to copyright
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:45 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come home, Scotland urges expats

Originally Posted by macmike41
Anyone going to take them up on this .......
Dunno....Is there any financial compensation on offer?

(Thats my scottish ancestry speaking )

Can I have fifty pounds to mend the shed?
I'm right on my uppers.
I can pay you back
When this postal order comes from Australia.
Honestly.

The poetry of Ewen McTeagle

Last edited by iaink; Oct 13th 2005 at 1:50 am.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Dunno....Is there any financial compensation on offer?

(Thats my scottish ancestry speaking )
Nope - just the usual political sales pitch = loadsa words suggesting/promising everything but actually doing nothing.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:18 am
Cowtown

The poetry of Ewen McTeagle[/SIZE]
[/B]
Scotland's poet laureate ...

Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by macmike41
Powerful Scots include Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was born in Edinburgh but raised in England, and finance minister Gordon Brown.
Screwing the international reputation and the local economy of England could therefore be revenge for the days of Edward Longshanks?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:40 am
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough

It's a good thing he didn't meet me and talk about this.

I was born in Scotland and emmigrated to Canada at age 7. I visited from time to time over the years and at age 50 ended up staying and marrying. After 6.5 years of living here I would have gave him an earful.

I've gone from being a proud Scottish expat to lamenting the state of Scotland today. About the only good thing I can say about Scotland is that it has great scenery (and then comes the national refrain, 'If we only got the weather'.) The infrastructure and culture are abominable. I wouldn't wish living in the UK on an enemy.

That is not coming from someone who cannot adapt and integrate into another country either. I have lived happily in several other countries. Unfortunately the UK as I see it is well on the way to being a second world country. It's in decline and sinking fast.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

This appeal was made last year too, wasn't it?

There is an incentive for dentists, up to 50k GBP to set up an NHS practise in a deprived area. THat's why we moved to Scotland from Cambridegshire.

You know what happened? After a year of work, finding premises, working with architects, the local health board, etc etc, the council planning department said "no". Reason? They disliked the request to add a concrete ramp for disabled access (compulsory for new surgeries). We're talking about a run-down council estate in an extremely deprived area (South Coatbridge for those who have the misfortune to know the place), nothing scenic, nothing to spoiled by adding a bit more concrete really. If they can deface the West entrance to St Giles Cathedral with a ramp, I don't see why a concrete box shop couldn't have one. But there you go.

Return to Scotland? Stuff 'em.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Return to Scotland? Stuff 'em.
Is that from McTeagles later Australian period?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:16 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Here just now

Work in the big hoose or The Queens Hotel AKA HMP Barlinnie, so I get to see the lowest of the lowest that life can throw at you, and I can assure you it is not a pretty sight.

Come back, F**k off, I canny wait to get away.

Place is full of junkies, street urchins, beggars, and generaly full of decaying houses with the pavements full of dog shit and pigeon shit and chewing gum.

OHHH and not forgetting the CHAVS. Place is full of them where I live just now

Will I ever come back if we get away

NAE F***IN DANGER, as wee Scots say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

Ps excuse my language Timothy !!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Here just now

Work in the big hoose or The Queens Hotel AKA HMP Barlinnie, so I get to see the lowest of the lowest that life can throw at you, and I can assure you it is not a pretty sight.

Come back, F**k off, I canny wait to get away.

Place is full of junkies, street urchins, beggars, and generaly full of decaying houses with the pavements full of dog shit and pigeon shit and chewing gum.

OHHH and not forgetting the CHAVS. Place is full of them where I live just now

Will I ever come back if we get away

NAE F***IN DANGER, as wee Scots say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

Ps excuse my language Timothy !!!!!
This one's headed for Oakville. I can feel it in my waters.

What the hell does CHAV stand for, anyway?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

montrealhereicome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir

What the hell does CHAV stand for, anyway?
First Time poster as its the first thread I could contribute to

Council House And Violent (CHAV)

CHAV = NED (Real scottish Equivalent)

Non Educated (NED)

Think kappa tracksuit bottoms, white trainers, tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks, Massive Logo sweater shirt, baseball cap and enough sovereign rings to seal letters for all the royal family. Optional accessories a child / giro / a bottle of ginger (irn bru)

You get the picture when i have more time I may post a few links to pics, for the full ned experience
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by montrealhereicome
First Time poster as its the first thread I could contribute to

Council House And Violent (CHAV)

CHAV = NED (Real scottish Equivalent)

Non Educated (NED)

Think kappa tracksuit bottoms, white trainers, tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks, Massive Logo sweater shirt, baseball cap and enough sovereign rings to seal letters for all the royal family. Optional accessories a child / giro / a bottle of ginger (irn bru)

You get the picture when i have more time I may post a few links to pics, for the full ned experience
Ta. No need for the pics. The verbal imagery provided is more than enough.

I'm really starting to look forward to my impending 2 weeks in the UK.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:27 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Ta. No need for the pics. The verbal imagery provided is more than enough.

I'm really starting to look forward to my impending 2 weeks in the UK.
Here Souvy where you headed, anywhere near to Glasgow

If you are let me know, show you the fantastic sights !!!!!!!!!!!

No seriously, if you are heading this way let me know

Eddie
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:29 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Do you mean me !!!!!!!!!!!

As in Eddie is headed for Oakville and WHY !!!!!!!!!!!! if this is what you mean

I am sure I passed there in July when we were over in Canada for family holiday and reccie

Eddie
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:19 am
Cowtown

Is that from McTeagles later Australian period?
"Oi digger", the man called to me,
"where's me fifty bob",
"Er, ah", I replied to him,
"I'll give you it fair soon,
when the money order arrives from Iqaluit"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.