Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Come to BC: live longer/healthier

Come to BC: live longer/healthier

Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:21 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Come to BC: live longer/healthier

Now it's not really a surprise that BC has healthier, more active people, after all it is the hedonsists/mentalists paradise, eh ?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...54da87&k=18308

Rich.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come to BC: live longer/healthier

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Now it's not really a surprise that BC has healthier, more active people, after all it is the hedonsists/mentalists paradise, eh ?

Rich.
It's also a big place for retirement. People who retire to BC cannot die young in BC and so push up the average age of death.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich.
Isn't it interesting how you can put spin on things.

It appears Calgarians believe themselves to be healthier and more active than the average Canadian.
That includes "the hedonists/mentalists paradise" otherwise known as BC.

Here's the first sentence of a similar article in today's Calgary Herald titled.

Calgarians in good shape, but stressed out

"It was no surprise to Jonathan Chui that a new survey shows Calgarians are in better shape and more active than the average Canadian."

And a little more

"Released Tuesday, the survey revealed that residents served by the Calgary Health Region describe themselves as healthier and more active than the average Canadian, at the same time reporting lower rates of obesity.And while Calgarians say they are mentally healthy, they are also over-stressed."

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

or perhaps it is the the fact that less people are obese, less smoke and there is less diabetes that is a contributing factor.?

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's also a big place for retirement. People who retire to BC cannot die young in BC and so push up the average age of death.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.

Health stats there Rich! .... although it's kinda funny how this week looks more like UK weather in BC ? *smiles*
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love_it_here
or perhaps it is the the fact that less people are obese, less smoke and there is less diabetes that is a contributing factor.?
Living a dull life may help one live longer but the statistic in the link is that people die at a greater age in BC than elsewhere. The fact that many people move there after they're older than the average age of death elsewhere has to be a major factor. Another consideration is that it's rich old people who move to BC, they can afford to be patched up and keep going for longer than poor old people elsewhere. A fair comparison might be BC vs. Florida or BC vs. Eastbourne rather than BC vs. industrialised provinces. That or look at the number of years actually lived in BC.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 14th 2006 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:24 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen that many oldies here, but if you want to see them go to Cost Co in the daytime!!! It's like a day trip to Barrie Island in there!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

So according to your "facts" rich old folk move to BC...well there certainly are a lot of affluent seniors living in the Okanagan, perhaps to avoid the smog one frequently enjoys in Toronto?
....it has obviously absolutely nothing to do with the issue of obesity ie East coast Canadians are a little more flabby than BC Canadians?

Living a dull life may help one live longer but the statistic in the link is that people die at a greater age in BC than elsewhere. The fact that many people move there after they're older than the average age of death elsewhere has to be a major factor. Another consideration is that it's rich old people who move to BC, they can afford to be patched up and keep going for longer than poor old people elsewhere. A fair comparison might be BC vs. Florida or BC vs. Eastbourne rather than BC vs. industrialised provinces. That or look at the number of years actually lived in BC.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:29 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

....it has obviously absolutely nothing to do with the issue of obesity ie East coast Canadians are a little more flabby than BC Canadians?
You have statistics to demonstrate the levels of obesity across provinces and major cities?
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

So according to your "facts" rich old folk move to BC...well there certainly are a lot of affluent seniors living in the Okanagan, perhaps to avoid the smog one frequently enjoys in Toronto?
Yes, I imagine that's one reason for them to move there.

I wouldn't think so. That idea is tenuous at best.

Are Canadians, by and large, fatter in the east? Perhaps in areas where there are few Asians but here people aren't generally fat. In any case, a link between body size and life expectancy would be a tricky thing to prove.

Nope. I think people die older in BC because they're old when they get there and are less prone to death from accidents because they don't indulge in risky pursuits such as athletics and motorcycling.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 8:25 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

they don't indulge in risky pursuits such as athletics and motorcycling.
Uh, dude, you wanna see these old folks here in BC, they're crazier than your average UK teen....tripping out on vitamin pills, OD'ing on sleeping pills, hardcore highway crossing, championship dangerous driving, indoor hat-wearing, world class moaning and complaining, it's all the real deal here in BC for these funky old wrinklies.

Rich.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

Uh, dude, you wanna see these old folks here in BC, they're crazier than your average UK teen....tripping out on vitamin pills, OD'ing on sleeping pills, hardcore highway crossing, championship dangerous driving, indoor hat-wearing, world class moaning and complaining, it's all the real deal here in BC for these funky old wrinklies.

Rich.
It's in-car hat wearing that reduces life expectancy. That causes your car to turn into an old Caddy and wander all over the road.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:05 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

You want to see some of the skiers in Whistler...they look like they should be skiing with zimmers! Good for them though. I hope I'm still snowboarding when I'm 75!

I haven't noticed that many very overweight people in Vancouver I must say. Lots of meth addicts but that's another story!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Many of the ski resorts used to allow seniors over a certain age free skiing but nowadays with so many elderly skiers they have raised the age requirement or abandoned it altogether....I too would love to be skiing at 75 !!
(hope they are getting enough calcium !!)

Originally Posted by H143
You want to see some of the skiers in Whistler...they look like they should be skiing with zimmers! Good for them though. I hope I'm still snowboarding when I'm 75!

I haven't noticed that many very overweight people in Vancouver I must say. Lots of meth addicts but that's another story!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Health stats there Rich! .... although it's kinda funny how this week looks more like UK weather in BC ? *smiles*
I've just spent the last week in the Kootenays... I want a refund Still, the rain and 9c we had has taken the heat out of my Winnipeg sunburn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.