Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cold calling - results!

cold calling - results!

Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:59 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default cold calling - results!

well we are off to BC in two and a half weeks so i made dh get his phone calls started ( i already printed off company details for 20 crane companies in Vancouver with staff numbers, turnover, personnell details etc so he would be well informed) and he called round, some of them told him that the recession is as bad there as here and there are more drivers than work, but some old him they would be interested to meet him when we are over and one is an immigrant who used to work at a different branch of dh's current company! so he was chatting for half an hour about how he got there ( pr visa etc) and his wife and kids in schools.

dh is ebulliant! he is literally glowing like ed cullen! he had been getting really worried about the prospects out there but speaking to one guy who had been there and done it really helped him - not to mention made a valuable contact we have already followed up by email. we have 3 meetings set and dh will just walk in to the rest of the years as only one made it clear they were not hiring, once dh told them everything he can drive they all said drop by and we can see what we can do.

its not a job offer on gold edged paper, but it is a start and a way in. dh hated cold calling, but once he realised two things he was fine ( 1, he does know what he is talking about, 2, canadians are so darn nice )

so those of you who are nervous give it a go and you will feel better for it

( also i used a call carrier so it was half a pence per minute check www.moneysavingexpert.com for the best one but we used 0844 2050505, then you dial the number in canada you want simples!)
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cold calling - results!

Originally Posted by __TJ__
well we are off to BC in two and a half weeks so i made dh get his phone calls started ( i already printed off company details for 20 crane companies in Vancouver with staff numbers, turnover, personnell details etc so he would be well informed) and he called round, some of them told him that the recession is as bad there as here and there are more drivers than work, but some old him they would be interested to meet him when we are over and one is an immigrant who used to work at a different branch of dh's current company! so he was chatting for half an hour about how he got there ( pr visa etc) and his wife and kids in schools.

dh is ebulliant! he is literally glowing like ed cullen! he had been getting really worried about the prospects out there but speaking to one guy who had been there and done it really helped him - not to mention made a valuable contact we have already followed up by email. we have 3 meetings set and dh will just walk in to the rest of the years as only one made it clear they were not hiring, once dh told them everything he can drive they all said drop by and we can see what we can do.

its not a job offer on gold edged paper, but it is a start and a way in. dh hated cold calling, but once he realised two things he was fine ( 1, he does know what he is talking about, 2, canadians are so darn nice )

( also i used a call carrier so it was half a pence per minute check www.moneysavingexpert.com for the best one but we used 0844 2050505, then you dial the number in canada you want simples!)
Congrats! Sounding promising, fingers crossed you get a job offer when there.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:34 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news!!!!!

Keep us posted of how it all goes when you're out there if possible.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

cousinsandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Brave husband! I need to start doing this soon and am dreading it! Good luck with the visit.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:17 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks it helps to have him as prepared as possible so when they say "what do you knwo about our company" he can rattle off some figures and tell them how much he agrees with the company ethos. www.google.ca and each companies website has been particularly usefull here. most jobs in his industry are not advertised on websites so its a case fo blanket calling every one and getting them to agree to a sit down so we know where we plan to be on which day, surry on mondfay, abbotsford tuesday etc etc.

fingers crossed we will get somewhere and will keep you informed, the one thinkg dh said over and over tho is that they are sooo nice and willing to chat to you. love canadians already
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:25 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Well done TJ. Sounds like a great start to your job hunting. Your new contact has certainly boosted your confidence. Best of luck
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Well I am so glad to read this post. I will be doing the same thing later this year, cold calling is just so scary! I am trying to convince my daughter to do it for me for £5 and the other half of my twix, but she is a real hard nosed and is insisting on a whole twix (king size!)
So it looks like I will have to do it myself!
Back to reality, a friend of mine was over in Vancouver recently on holiday visiting his brother in law. He had a look around for general work in the building trade and was often informed that it was still a booming trade and he would have no problem gaining employment! So it sounds promising for your OH TJ!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

It really is amazing what we can do if we push ourselves a bit. Life outside of the comfort zone is great isn't it.

Congratulations!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__

Wow!! that was great to get some replies from your husband's cold calls.
Good luck and all the best with the job hunt.

Yoong
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

jennaruth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yoong
Wow!! that was great to get some replies from your husband's cold calls.
Good luck and all the best with the job hunt.

Yoong
There is a lot of building still going on for the 2010 olympics even though they are right around the corner. You can also check out dock sites---crane operators are always needed for container ships.