Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

co-op housing in Canada ?

co-op housing in Canada ?

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: co-op housing in Canada ?

Originally Posted by deise1980
Where do families with kids etc where both husband and wife are working 2 min wage jobs actually live then ? Because the houses I am referring to are around 1000-1200 a month still leaving prob another 200pm in utility bills that are not include in rent still to pay ??

The message i am starting to get here is that with a net income of around 3000 pm a family of 5 can't survive comfortably enough in Canada without luxuries like holidays ,2nd car etc ??Rgds
Deise1980
yup. Your wife will have to work if you want extras. Join the club...

For a whole house $1000-1200 pm seems quite reasonable to me. Here you can rent a basement suite with 2 bedrooms for that.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

deise1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Interesting....I get the impression coops in Vancouver/burnaby get a different type of tenant than ones in AB. I have friends who live in Co-ops and by and large it's all good people, some professionals, families etc.
They look lovely and in some places even better than a lot of private rentals and i can't see how "undesirables" could afford to pay 1000-1200pm and some Utility bills on top ??
Rgds
Deise1980
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

yup. Your wife will have to work if you want extras. Join the club...

For a whole house $1000-1200 pm seems quite reasonable to me. Here you can rent a basement suite with 2 bedrooms for that.
That income i would expect to be from both of us working ,wife working maybe 20 hours a week in evenings so it would actually be around 3200 combined ?
rgds
Deise1980
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

There's always debt. That's the only way we could afford extras. With 2 under 5, it's not financially viable for me to work, calculating in daycare and potentially needing a second car.

For low income PR or citizens there is some government help. Not as much as the UK though. There are also food banks and other social assistance programmes. What makes you think that moving to Canada on a low income would give a better future for your kids? I know many who have/are moving back to the UK to give them just that.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:43 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

with 3 kids it will be tight. imo. When we were living on a lot less money we were shopping at Value Village and Salvation Army for clothes, virtually never went out or entertained at home, very tight food budget (lots of legumes). Doable but we only have 1 kid.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie
There's always debt. That's the only way we could afford extras. With 2 under 5, it's not financially viable for me to work, calculating in daycare and potentially needing a second car.

yup. been there.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 22nd 2012 at 3:52 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The message i am starting to get here is that with a net income of around 3000 pm a family of 5 can't survive comfortably enough in Canada without luxuries like holidays ,2nd car etc ??
Rgds
Deise1980
That would getting close to poverty imo.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Where do families with kids etc where both husband and wife are working 2 min wage jobs actually live then ? Because the houses I am referring to are around 1000-1200 a month still leaving prob another 200pm in utility bills that are not include in rent still to pay ??

The message i am starting to get here is that with a net income of around 3000 pm a family of 5 can't survive comfortably enough in Canada without luxuries like holidays ,2nd car etc ??
Rgds
Deise1980
I believe you would be crazy to move to Calgary if the only income you could achieve resulted from two minimum wage jobs and if it was likely that you would remain in such employment for some time.

When we first moved here, I was the only one in work earning $55,000 a year. However, we brought a large amount of capital with us and I knew that such an income was only going to be for a short period of time.

I recall meeting up with Judy in Calgary shortly after I arrived and, when I explained my plan to her, she could not hide the pity in her eyes. Fortunately it worked out for us.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Where do families with kids etc where both husband and wife are working 2 min wage jobs actually live then ?
I don't think two immigrants on minimum wage can support three children in Canada.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Culturally, are Calgarians welcoming to co-ops and the like being built in their neighbourhoods? I've never forgotten that letter in St Albert against Habitat for Humanity. Oh wait that was Edmonton.
I think that, generally, they would not wish to have one built in their communities (if they were already living there) or would not choose to move to a community if there was already one there.

NIMBYism it may be but, correctly or incorrectly, that it how it is.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:13 pm

ok. there's a bit of that mentality on the west-side here. freaking nimbies
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Townhouse complex's tend to be cheaper too - just a thought (or is this what you meant?). They are very popular in the Hamilton area.

http://www.rentfaster.ca/calgary-tow...?sortby=price&

kijiji

gottarent

Calgary City also offer affordable housing options: http://www.calgary.ca/CS/OLSH/Pages/...a-for-CHC.aspx

You should also take a look at Padmapper

Living on a low income isn't fun - but if it's a stepping stone to potentially earning a higher income it's do-able. I think you have to weigh up the likelihood of your earning potential v costs in both countries and decide which is going to work better for you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 22nd 2012 at 4:35 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ok i think a few things need further clarification .firstly neither my wife or I will be on min wage in fact my gross income will be almost double the min wage and my wife will pick up something in evenings so our total in after taxes and other stoppages are expected to be around 3200pm take home . I certainly won't be moving to be worse off than i am right now .
people on this forum say Canada / Alberta COL is on par to the UK well if that is correct and you take home 400pounds/800dollars (rough estimate)per week which is what we'll be earning ,you should live fairly good cause i know families in UK living quiet well on 400 pounds a week .

With regards to our kids having a better life ,clearly the Canadian population is ageing by all accounts and new blood is needed in many places from what I'm reading well there is expected to be a lot of job opportunities over the next good few years which would give my kids a better chance of securing a descent job after studying ,were looking at the long term picture so yes in mine and many more people especially Irish opinions would be the same .
Rgds
Deise1980

Last edited by deise1980; Nov 22nd 2012 at 5:47 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:50 pm

Ok i think a few things need further clarification .firstly neither my wife or I will be on min wage in fact my gross income will be almost double the min wage and my wife will pick up something in evenings so our total in after taxes and other stoppages are expected to be around 3200pm take home . I certainly won't be moving to be worse off than i am right now .
people on this forum say Canada / Alberta COL is on par to the UK well if that is correct and you take home 400pounds/800dollars (rough estimate)per week which is what we'll be earning ,you should live fairly good cause i know families in UK living quiet well on 400 pounds a week .

With regards to our kids having a better life ,clearly the Canadian population is ageing by all accounts and new blood is needed in many places from what I'm reading well there is expected to be a lot of job opportunities over the next good few years which would give my kids a better chance of securing a descent job after studying ,were looking at the long term picture so yes in mine and many more people especially Irish opinions would be the same .
Rgds
Deise1980
3200 for a family of five is still not going to give a good standard of living..imo..in Canada. Plenty of unemployed youth in Canada, too, fyi.

But I can tell this is not what you want to hear.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

3200 for a family of five is still not going to give a good standard of living.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are people on similar incomes using food banks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.