Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Clueless about immigration

Clueless about immigration

Old Jul 29th 2016, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Daaaaaleface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clueless about immigration

Hi, I have never been on an Internet forum in my life so I apologise in advance for any newby mistakes. I am 27, Scottish, a qualified barber with 2 years experience. My girlfriend will be a qualified primary school teacher in approximately 36 months and at that time we wish to move to Canada. I have no idea where to start. Can someone tell me how to check if I am eligible, how eligible I am, how is best to proceed if I am eligible and what I can expect it to cost? Thanks again 👍🏻
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clueless about immigration

Suggest a good read in the Canada section of wiki above
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daaaaaleface
Hi, I have never been on an Internet forum in my life so I apologise in advance for any newby mistakes. I am 27, Scottish, a qualified barber with 2 years experience. My girlfriend will be a qualified primary school teacher in approximately 36 months and at that time we wish to move to Canada. I have no idea where to start. Can someone tell me how to check if I am eligible, how eligible I am, how is best to proceed if I am eligible and what I can expect it to cost? Thanks again � ����� ����
Hi, welcome to BE.

You can check your visa eligibility on the CIC website here -http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp. Once you know which visa route you might be eligible for, let us know and we can then help you with how to proceed.

Do also look in to the IEC visa, as that might be a good route (albeit not a permanent one), if you can go before one or both of you turns 31.

Your job is regulated is Canada, so you can search the forum for info on the steps you'll need to take to work there and the exam you'll need to sit.

You'll also need to be prepared for your wife to not be able to work as a teacher, at least potentially for the first few years, so make sure you can survive on one salary or that she's happy to do something else. Info here - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki

And cost wise, this thread will give you an idea - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

HTH get you started, good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 12:26 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

It will also be great to get a good barber in Canada at long last !
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you would qualify but your girlfriend possibly, I have not checked but suspect teaching may fall into the indemand skills then again who knows what Canada will have in 3 years time. As other posters have pointed out check out the Canadian Immigration website to see if she would qualify. It is not the easiest to navigate.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
I doubt you would qualify but your girlfriend possibly, I have not checked but suspect teaching may fall into the indemand skills then again who knows what Canada will have in 3 years time. As other posters have pointed out check out the Canadian Immigration website to see if she would qualify. It is not the easiest to navigate.
There is no list of in demand skills anymore, you're a couple of years out of date! It's all done on a points system now. But primary teachers were never on 'the list' anyway, the OP would have actually stood much more chance than his gf as hairdressing was an eligible job at one time, whereas teachers have historically been one of the professions that have struggled the most to get a visa as they're just not in demand.

But now it will come down to which of them scores the most points, if neither do and they need a job offer to qualify then the OP is much more likely to find an employer prepared to sponsor him than his gf I suspect.

HTH.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There is no list of in demand skills anymore, you're a couple of years out of date! It's all done on a points system now. But primary teachers were never on 'the list' anyway, the OP would have actually stood much more chance than his gf as hairdressing was an eligible job at one time, whereas teachers have historically been one of the professions that have struggled the most to get a visa as they're just not in demand.

But now it will come down to which of them scores the most points, if neither do and they need a job offer to qualify then the OP is much more likely to find an employer prepared to sponsor him than his gf I suspect.

HTH.
Ah OK, yes not looked into the skills in demand lately as has not been an issue or requirement for me. But yes agree at one point hairdressers was on the list and I do remember people retraining to this field. in the UK, so they could get a visa for Oz. Odd how times change!
I think at there age, probably worth while to come over on a WHV and see if they can find anyone to sponsor them. She may find more success than her other have unless he can find the money to open a business.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Even Canadian trained teachers often have difficulty getting permanent jobs out of university ............. many of them end up on the Substitute List or part-time for years, especially in places where people want to live, such as Vancouver, ski towns, etc.

BC produces thousands of teachers yearly, many can't find work - NEWS 1130

There’s a teacher imbalance in BC and it includes both an overabundance and shortage. Glyn Lewis with Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon says it all depends on the discipline says “About one-third of those 2,700 teachers are able to find work which means there’s a whole host of teachers who get certified and come out of these post-secondary programs and who are unable to find work or are under-employed and wind up on teacher on-call lists,” says Lewis. “And they can sit on these teacher on-call lists for many years.”

But there is another side to the issue.

“There are some teachers who graduate from teacher education programs who are lucky enough to have a teachable discipline that is in demand, so something like French, the sciences, math, the trades, stuff like that. These teachers are actually head-hunted and recruited while they’re still doing their teacher practicum. What we’ve seen is there’s a complete imbalance between the demand and the supply of teachers by teachable discipline.”
I'm sure you could find similar information for other provinces by googling "demand for teachers in [province]"