Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

clearing out your memories - how do you choose

clearing out your memories - how do you choose

Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:18 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light
Default clearing out your memories - how do you choose

HI all

I started clearing out the loft today in the ever hopeful mood that our PPR will come soon!!!!!!!!

I joined a great re-cycling site that takes everything so thought what the heck not going to have any more kids etc so why keep cases of their clothes and have to pay shipping costs - Beverley is nearly 6 and Damien is 8 months - how time flies!!

Well I sat up in the loft and sorted them out - god there was cases of them - seeing the tiny outfits again was wonderful but packing them into 'goodie' bags was hell. I could remember many wonderful times. Placed an couple of ads and the goods were picked up within 3 hours - amazing!!

How do you decide what to keep so that you have more than memories but things that you can show your children when they get older - we all remember getting embarressed when our parents put out pictures etc, in front of our new boyfriend/girlfriend.

In case anyone is interested the site I use is - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glasgow-freeshare/ they have them all over the world - I have already joined the ones in Nova Scotia for when I arrive.

Irene
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:34 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: clearing out your memories - how do you choose

Originally Posted by No1_mom
HI all

I started clearing out the loft today in the ever hopeful mood that our PPR will come soon!!!!!!!!

I joined a great re-cycling site that takes everything so thought what the heck not going to have any more kids etc so why keep cases of their clothes and have to pay shipping costs - Beverley is nearly 6 and Damien is 8 months - how time flies!!

Well I sat up in the loft and sorted them out - god there was cases of them - seeing the tiny outfits again was wonderful but packing them into 'goodie' bags was hell. I could remember many wonderful times. Placed an couple of ads and the goods were picked up within 3 hours - amazing!!

How do you decide what to keep so that you have more than memories but things that you can show your children when they get older - we all remember getting embarressed when our parents put out pictures etc, in front of our new boyfriend/girlfriend.

In case anyone is interested the site I use is - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glasgow-freeshare/ they have them all over the world - I have already joined the ones in Nova Scotia for when I arrive.

Irene
Yip clearing out the baby clothes was a tough one, not embarrased to admit I even had a few tears.

Like yourself I pretty much got rid of everything, brought the cot with us, I just couldn't bare to part with it, it has their teeth marks on it, now that you can't replace sado I know but who cares.

Raine
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we have more money than sense, but we shipped the whole lot over.

Our son is 11 and we're past breeding again, but still brought cot, pram, etc because we just couldn't force ourselves to get rid of any of it.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 1:20 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Posidrive

Our son is 11 and we're past breeding again, but still brought cot, pram, etc because we just couldn't force ourselves to get rid of any of it.
I just got one of those boxes with a lid, and put selected items in to ship.
Like 1st pair of shoes, 1st babygrow I ever put them in, identity tags from hospital. etc
Nothing big, just little momento's

God help us if we have anymore, coz I bought nothing practical with us.
Would have to start over....................Aaaargh, just DON'T go there!!!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:11 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
I just got one of those boxes with a lid, and put selected items in to ship.
Like 1st pair of shoes, 1st babygrow I ever put them in, identity tags from hospital. etc
Nothing big, just little momento's

God help us if we have anymore, coz I bought nothing practical with us.
Would have to start over....................Aaaargh, just DON'T go there!!!

Yip still have identity tags from hospital.

See these are things that just can't be replaced. I find it a wee bit sad when you show the children them and they ask you to put it on them and it quite obviously doesn't fit.

Oh how fast they grow

Raine
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:12 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I've never been one for keeping things that don't fit or aren't being used anymore so most of our children's past stuff was thrown out years ago. Brought all our photographs with us and any things that were being used at the time of our move.

I did bring my 13 years old collie's baby teeth with me though - packed in their little velvet box that they have lived in for 13 years, LOL!!

However.......I did bring ALL my memories with me - they will never leave me and they can't be seen by anyone but me.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:18 am
Reunited

Originally Posted by Posidrive

Know exactly where your coming from, although we brought the cot, my first stage car seat I was being forced to put in the skip until my MInLaw's friend came along and took it for her grandson, well at least someone got a use out of it.

As for pram it was a Bertini 3 in 1 and both kids used it so sold it on Ebay and got £70.

Raine
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:51 am
Reunited

However.......I did bring ALL my memories with me - they will never leave me and they can't be seen by anyone but me. [/QUOTE]

How true
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:53 am
Cowtown

Memories of a life gone by ... well, lets just say, it's never the same again.

As much as tomorrow is another country, the past is another country you'll never have the opportunity to visit again.

So ... eat lots of prepared food with a high Aluminum content, and you won't remember yesterday, today or tomorrow in a couple of years

Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:03 am
Reunited

Bloomin heck I even brought the kids art work they done at school and pre school every single last bit of it.

I also brought the newpaper on the day they were born, and some other magazines, i.e, I think it was the last publication of Times with the premature baby on the front and another one with the plane flying into the World Trade Centre can't remember which magazine that was will have to unpack the boxes for that one.

Raine
Old Oct 14th 2006, 8:23 am
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
However.......I did bring ALL my memories with me - they will never leave me and they can't be seen by anyone but me.
This is very true, the memories i have in my head are worth far more than some old baby clothes (just my personal view, don't want to affend anyone), i'm not really one to keep 'stuff' all i have is the babys id tags and the first babygrow that they wore home from hospital, plus all the piccys you tend to take over the years ! after i had my first i got rid off all the baby things, and brought new for the second some years later ! i plan to have a smallish box for each, the baby items will go in there along with just a few special mothers day cards etc they made.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 5:38 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for all the views - some help, some don't. I'd love to take everything with me, but common sense prevails and the budget won't stretch that far - as the packer says we aren't paying for fresh air so everything that fits will go.

I do though have a few friends who have tried to do family research and found it very difficult as the memories had died with their family. It was easier where they had records, pictures etc.

I just look at something and memories come flooding back, it's hard to put into words what is in my head - nearly as bad as when I try to tell a joke - never works!!!

Believe it or not, I'm more disappointed at leaving my children's things behind than I am at leaving my family - in fact I'm actually glad to be getting away from some of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!