Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

claiming my QROPS on my taxes

claiming my QROPS on my taxes

Old Aug 13th 2015, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road
Default claiming my QROPS on my taxes

I am wondering if i can claim my QROPS on my taxes i moved them over last year to canada and have been given conflicting advice as to whether it can be claimed against my taxes sorry if this has been asked before thanks
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: claiming my QROPS on my taxes

Originally Posted by sarahloo
I am wondering if i can claim my QROPS on my taxes i moved them over last year to canada and have been given conflicting advice as to whether it can be claimed against my taxes sorry if this has been asked before thanks
If you've already received tax relief in the UK I very much doubt Canada will permit you to claim tax relief here, and IMO, nor should it.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Claim what against taxes?

QROPS is a scheme to allow you to move a pension fund without unauthorised payment and scheme sanction charge.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

To claim it against my income taxes like you do with RSP
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

To claim it against my income taxes like you do with RSP
Not sure how your would claim tax back on untaxed income that has gone into an approved pension scheme.

When you invest into an RRSP, where you have room, you reclaim the tax you paid to CRA on the money going into it. If you did not pay any tax, there is nothing to claim back.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

I guess what i am asking is the QROPS like RRSP when you pay into it each year you put it on your income taxes and then it is taken into account when they assess you taxes
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:09 pm

I guess what i am asking is the QROPS like RRSP when you pay into it each year you put it on your income taxes and then it is taken into account when they assess you taxes
RRSP investment comes from taxable sources and the tax is refunded on that income amount at your marginal rate for that year. Your UK pension is not coming in as taxable income, therefore there is no tax to claim back.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

There's no tax to claim back, since you already did so in the UK, but you do need to put it on the tax return to ensure no-one asks questions about it years from now when you try to withdraw the money.

I forget the details, but you add it in one spot and subtract it in another, so your taxable income remains the same.

I believe you can add money into the QROPS RRSP later and reclaim the tax on that payment then, but I'm not sure why you'd want to when it normally has more restrictive terms than a normal RRSP.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

emyrthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

I transferred my UK pension to a Canadian RRSP (QROPS registered) in July 2014 and was informed that I would be heavily penalized if I withdrew from it within the first 5 years. I also believe that if I made any additional contributions to it then the same taxation rule apply as it a normal RRSP after transfer.

I stand corrected if I'm not 100% accurate here.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 12:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

There is no tax relief on transfers over from UK pension scheme to another over here ( and let's face it as others have said, why should there be ).
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:48 am
Just Joined

tishiminga is an unknown quantity at this point

A QROPS/RSP is reported on line 115 and 208 on your tax return. It has no taxable consequences if reported correctly and retains it's deferred tax status if it is a pension transfer from the UK both public or private sector. Suffice to say the QROPS/RSP cannot accept further contributions and does not effect RRSP contribution room upon placement of assets in the account. There is no taxable benefit to a QROPS in tax year of contribution. So apart from reporting on your tax return it had no other similarity to a regular RRSP contribution.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 19th 2015 at 6:37 am. Reason: Edited as per Rule 9, please note you may not 'direct anybody to your services' on the forum, thx.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tishiminga
A QROPS/RSP is reported on line 115 and 208 on your tax return. It has no taxable consequences if reported correctly and retains it's deferred tax status if it is a pension transfer from the UK both public or private sector. Suffice to say the QROPS/RSP cannot accept further contributions and does not effect RRSP contribution room upon placement of assets in the account. There is no taxable benefit to a QROPS in tax year of contribution. So apart from reporting on your tax return it had no other similarity to a regular RRSP contribution.
Line 130.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

tishiminga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Line 130.
With all due respect it is line 115 ( Other pensions or Superannuation) and is reported as taxable income. Then line 208 is used to claim the RRSP deduction equal to the amount transferred along with Schedule 7. This does not affect your normal RRSP contribution room and does in effect retain the deferred tax status of the assets.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tishiminga
With all due respect it is line 115 ( Other pensions or Superannuation) and is reported as taxable income. Then line 208 is used to claim the RRSP deduction equal to the amount transferred along with Schedule 7. This does not affect your normal RRSP contribution room and does in effect retain the deferred tax status of the assets.
Line 115 is for periodic pension payments. Lump sum payments are reported on line 130. I agree with the rest of your paragraph.