Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Claim UK State pension in Canada

Claim UK State pension in Canada

Old Dec 29th 2023, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claim UK State pension in Canada

Yes I joined. Only $25.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 10:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I'm not clear on but must be common enough, I can't find anything on CRA or other googling about backpay of UK Pension.

For example, mine was due 2023 and they had plenty of time to have done it by now. I was rather hoping I'd have received the back pay so I could just attribute it appropriately for the part of 2023 it was due for.

But for whatever reason they've been slow and it's not done.
I would still be hopeful it gets done by the tax return deadline and do the same - if allowed - but if it's not done until after that and there's no pension received (yet) to report do I then do a "correction" or whatever it's called when I do get it or does the back pay, along with the regular payment then get reported for the tax year 2024?

Perhaps it makes little difference overall (double tax issues aside) but that inflated income for 2024 would likely wipe out the GIS part of my Canadian income and that has some implications for my Senior's Prescription coverage.

Anyone had the same or can point me in the right direction?
Old Jan 1st 2024, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
One thing I'm not clear on but must be common enough, I can't find anything on CRA or other googling about backpay of UK Pension.

For example, mine was due 2023 and they had plenty of time to have done it by now. I was rather hoping I'd have received the back pay so I could just attribute it appropriately for the part of 2023 it was due for.

But for whatever reason they've been slow and it's not done.
I would still be hopeful it gets done by the tax return deadline and do the same - if allowed - but if it's not done until after that and there's no pension received (yet) to report do I then do a "correction" or whatever it's called when I do get it or does the back pay, along with the regular payment then get reported for the tax year 2024?

Perhaps it makes little difference overall (double tax issues aside) but that inflated income for 2024 would likely wipe out the GIS part of my Canadian income and that has some implications for my Senior's Prescription coverage.

Anyone had the same or can point me in the right direction?
Hey Bristol, Happy New Year.
The UK state pension will be back dated to when you first became eligible but for CRA purposes it does not count as back pay. It is simply counted as pension income in the year it is ACTUALLY received. My birthday is in February but it was January of the following year after my 65th bday that I received my 'back pay' but it was not reported to CRA until the next tax year - around 2 years after I reached state pension age.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 3:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
Hey Bristol, Happy New Year.
The UK state pension will be back dated to when you first became eligible but for CRA purposes it does not count as back pay. It is simply counted as pension income in the year it is ACTUALLY received. My birthday is in February but it was January of the following year after my 65th bday that I received my 'back pay' but it was not reported to CRA until the next tax year - around 2 years after I reached state pension age.
Thanks, that's what irritates me. Everything I'd read suggested 5 months was plenty of time to have processed the application.

In this province - maybe others too - GIS (just the existence, no matter how much) is a passport to Seniors drug coverage which is a mere $5 per drug (I have 10). By my calculations had my state pension been processed timeously I'd be keeping GIS and, thus, Seniors drug coverage.

If I lose GIS I might end up having to pay in excess of $100 monthly premiums and $20 per prescription.
Just because they're late and the same amount of money is paid in one year instead of when it would have been but for the lateness. I could be worse off by a couple of thousand $$
Old Jan 1st 2024, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told 8-12 weeks for processing after the phone application. Perhaps the mail in takes longer.

Have you called them to check on progress?
Old Jan 1st 2024, 3:38 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I was told 8-12 weeks for processing after the phone application. Perhaps the mail in takes longer.

Have you called them to check on progress?
I'm afraid I dread that kind of thing.

It's a bit moot now if it's too late.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 7:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I dread that kind of thing.

It's a bit moot now if it's too late.
Cross your fingers and check your bank account just in case it's been paid in?
Old Jan 1st 2024, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I found calling surprisingly easy and I was not on hold for long. But I know what you mean: I usually have to spend several days working up to it.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 11:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Cross your fingers and check your bank account just in case it's been paid in?

I did that very thing just after.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 11:20 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I did that very thing just after.
Any luck?? The nasty thing about going over is that not only do they stop your GIS they reclaim it. I went over the income amount by about a thousand and they sent me a letter asking for repayment. It was painful
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 11:58 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Any luck?? The nasty thing about going over is that not only do they stop your GIS they reclaim it. I went over the income amount by about a thousand and they sent me a letter asking for repayment. It was painful
Not yet. Still hopeful it arrives and I can attribute the back pay into the right year.
Repaying seems a bit odd given the July adjustments based on the prior tax year's income. That's a double penalty isn't it? Repaying what you had and not getting future payments?

My MIL cashed in an RRSP or whatever it was and that amount stopped her GIS the following July for one year but there was no repayment. She lost her Seniors drug coverage for a year and I saw the difference that made.

Fortunately there have been some improvements in NB since then but the difference in the Seniors costs and the improved system for everyone else can still be a big one and it would be for me.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Update: I filled in the online contact form. I got an email back overnight saying I could fill in the form and mail it or apply over the phone.
I called this morning. It took about 25 minutes.

Thanks to all who responded on this thread.
what did they say about providing copies of marriage certificate and other documents they request?
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

They told me not to send anything in unless specifically requested.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

okay perfect thanks_ I will get hubby to call in February then- he is 66 in June
Old Feb 7th 2024, 5:59 pm
Oscar nominated

I found calling surprisingly easy and I was not on hold for long. But I know what you mean: I usually have to spend several days working up to it.
So I finally psyched myself up to call...but got fed up waiting with repeated "we know you're waiting" and zero indication as to how long it would be. I just can't face waiting, not being able to do anything else that would be too distracting for when I finally got through. I did all that with Service Canada when they took an age over my OAS application in 2021-22.

I had several goes at it on different mornings...endless repeated recorded messages about being connected (not) ASAP. .

Today I tried half an hour before their going home time and got straight through.

Only to be told by a lovely Geordie accent with profuse apologies that he couldn't see any reason why it hadn't been done. Just sitting there.
So I might get a call back. Probably just after I've left the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.