Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineer Salary

Civil Engineer Salary

Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:59 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Engineer Salary

Originally Posted by Cowtown
One of the guys I work with is from Vancouver ... he's looking at spending $700K on a lot 45 minutes from downtown.

I get the feeling that $100K won't go far ....
You would know more about big fat senior salaries than me I was just grabbing a number from the air...its what we real engineers do
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:08 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bleech
Me too!

:scared:
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:52 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
You missed the point, as usual. Positive attitudes may be all warm and fuzzy, but they don't pay the bills when you are in a tight spot and have exhausted every avenue available to you. Just because motivational stuff is your business, it doesn't mean everyone will succeed if they wander around with a cheezy smile and store bought delusional platitudes by the shed-load. Comparitively speaking, given the situation, I could claim to be successful migrant. I have the house, the job and views to die for. All most of us want really. You have to be adaptable in BC, otherwise, for example, right now I would be on welfare with five kids. Many people here with kids don't get past first base. They are very expensive and eat a huge part of what might otherwise seem to be a good salary. That is the point.
I know Rich and Mrs Rich well and they're as down to earth as anyone I've ever met. They didn't come over with mega $s, but they've worked damned hard to get to where they're at now. A good example of successful immigrants and surely a beacon of light in a bucket of shite as any? They've been through a lean time, about 7 months out of work, but stayed positive and came out shining. Your assumption that he got a job through a smiling face is absolute bollox (have you seen his face? ). So what if he doesn't have kids? I love his positive attitude and the fact that he doesn't moan about the price of frozen peas, doesn't moan about the colour of the coffee, doesn't blame Canada for his smelly feet, and still doesn't moan that he can't get phucking Bisto!!! The whinging on this site drives me nuts.
A lot of people on here would do well to learn from him
Honestly if I was just about to apply to Canada and I came to this site I think I'd probably just kill myself now. If you claim to be a successful immigrant then we may as well all give up.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:53 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Me too!

:scared:
Oops
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
One of the guys I work with is from Vancouver ... he's looking at spending $700K on a lot 45 minutes from downtown.

I get the feeling that $100K won't go far ....
Too right, we still have a copy of listings when we first went to Vancouver in 2004. Property has a least doubled in price. I think Rich has the right idea - go to K-town live in a far nicer house, location and live life to the full. Earn enough to get by and enjoy.

Reminds me of a guy I met last time in Kelowna. He was from Liverpool and really struggled to make ends meet. He ended in going back to UK for a while to support his family. The found a job that didn't pay to well, just enough to get by, but would not leave Kelowna for the world. This guy was a bit of an inspiration for us. A really positive attitude and made the most of what he had.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
Plenty of adults do indeed live on far less than that in BC. And they also have a second income, sometimes a third. This is just one income as I understood it and they have kids, which you do not. You landed on your no kids to support couple feet Rich, good for you. But unfortunately, living in K town, with Ā£ you admitted you brought with you, you have no idea how the rest of us live. These people never said they were Brits bringing a decent wedge of settlement cash . We could all easily survive on that much if we were in that position. So as they say in BC, a province with which you are only recently acquainted, blow it out your ass.
I understand where you are coming from in respect to income and cost of living and outgoings. It is shock to spend 25-30% of your net paid on food bill. I have been there as a ex pat living in Alberta.
My first job I had was the worst I ever had when I moved to Canada. I was expected to clean truck and toilets for the Safety company I worked for in Calgary and then was expected to go downtown to negotiated contracts and the do all the field work. I did all this crap work to keep my head above water and I would not ever be a Dole(welfare) grabber.

Yes people do earn and SURVIVE on much lower income. But a as Senior Civil Engineer I think the original question in this thread is $80K a good salary to make with 20 years engineering experience in BC. Rahel was worried about her partner working excess hours including weekends. I think Rahel was after advice and that whats this forum I though was all about.

I do not think afterworking in Canada and managing a team of engineers that Rahel partner is getting a worthwhile deal. Who would in England give up a 38 hour week and 4 weeks holiday to go to another job with the potential of 60 hour week and 2 weeks holiday. I do not think you would get many taker unless it involves huge amounts of Ā£ Ā£ Ā£ or $$$$$. I have learnt that lesson now.

I think there would be no benefit to moving to Canada if you do not have the time or money to enjoy what it has to offer.

Last edited by hudd; Jul 30th 2006 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:34 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by iaink
You would know more about big fat senior salaries than me I was just grabbing a number from the air...its what we real engineers do
Watch it sonny ... "real" engineers hypothesise about numbers .. us IT guys do it for real

Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:37 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by hudd
I think there would be no benefit to moving to Canada if you do not have the time or money to enjoy what it has to offer.
I've thought that many times myself ....

Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:13 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Not a lot ? Tell me you're having a frickin laugh eh ? Ever likely you're always on here whining and moaning and griping. What do you want, $10k a month ?

Plenty adults live on far less than that in BC. And they manage, and survive. How much do you think RCMP, nurses, teachers, civil servants earn ? What about 'normal' average Joe's in the private sector, mid range income ?

A Brit bringing a decent wedge of settlement cash could easily survive on that much. Unless they're sloppy with their disposable every month or want to live a bling bling life, live in a mansion, have a boat, a hog, a jet plane, a ski lodge, and a fancy woman etc.

Get real, please, this kind of (dis) information confuses the hell outta people. It's not right, it's inaccurate, and it reflects your negative attitude to where you're at right now. This forum needs to be full of accurate information and the cyber-patrons of it need to cast oversight to ensure BS doesn't seep out.

Rich. [He ranteth most forcefully, yet he careth not for the respondent whines of the miserable and negative].
Rich, $80k really isn't a lot. Perhaps some people do come over and scrape a living on less but on $80k you'd better hope that you never have to buy a new car, or the one you have doesn't need fiixing, and you'd better hope that you won't ever visit the dentist. And you'd better hope that you'd never have to fly back to Britain, as that ain't going to happen either. As for new cars, a new home one day, saving for retirement (oh please, I'm killing myself laughing). Or take a holiday abroad for that matter, unless driving over the border (for the day).

I don't know whether some of you guys live in free houses, or are drugs dealers in your spare time, but on $80k you're going to be skint ALL the time. If you like this, then great, I'm not complaining. But it doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. You coudl get a 1 bed flat and live off beans, but then you probably did as a student, right? Well that was fun wasn't it, but we're all grown up now and have big boys and girls responsibilities.

Rich, I think your comparisons are absolutely riddiculous. For $80k you'd be lucky to live in a reasonable sized home in a vaguely safe neighbourhood, and then you'd have to have a huge cash deposit. This guy asked a perfectly reasonable question and it's a shame that there isn't more honesty on this forum, and then some of us wouldn't be in the shit we're in.

Also a Civil Engineer is going to expect to earn more than some of the other professions you mentioned. What's wrong with that?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:16 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hudd
All I can say is "hurray for Hudd!!!!!!"
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Bleech
A lot of people on here would do well to learn from him
Honestly if I was just about to apply to Canada and I came to this site I think I'd probably just kill myself now. If you claim to be a successful immigrant then we may as well all give up.
I keep saying this that there's more to it than attitude. I'm sure everyone hits hard times, but some people need this forum to reflect on. When I've done this all I've had is people telling me to piss of back to England (Oh, of course that doesn't exist, I mean the (UUUUUUUUU -KAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY).

It's just us well there are people around, who relate their experiences so that others can make an informed decision about coming here. Had a hard time and got through it, great! Good for you. Perhaps I should sit in my garden chanting with a big smile face and thinking happy thoughts, and then everything will be ok, because I will have the right attitude. Give me a break
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:38 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Rich, I think your comparisons are absolutely riddiculous. For $80k you'd be lucky to live in a reasonable sized home in a vaguely safe neighbourhood, and then you'd have to have a huge cash deposit. This guy asked a perfectly reasonable question and it's a shame that there isn't more honesty on this forum, and then some of us wouldn't be in the shit we're in.
So what's the average wage in Canada, BC, etc and how in the hell do you people think that key and primary workers survive here ? It's just over $20 an hour FT. Add in a range and that's like $10 to $40 an hour normalized.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/labr69k.htm

I don't know where some of you people come from or what your expectations were before coming to Canada but reality is biting your asses pretty bad and I don't give a crap if you're shooting the messenger or whatever your deal is. Y'aint shot on target and I ain't yielding my message one inch.

On $80k a year either you're living well above your means, living the grand life, losing money hand over fist, being ripped off, trying to impress the Jones's (or Guttensteiners or Mazarettis or whatever) or some other crazy sh1t.

This forum's stuffed ram full of frickin pompous stuffy negative chip-eating flip flop wearing Bisto-missing self pitying wailers and gripers living some kinda deluded life. I think they're existing in a parallel universe or using some freaked out scammy Somalian dollar exchange system or some such bullsh1t.

I'm gonna time out on this crappy moan-fest, it's true what people have said before, those successful migrants are too busy doing stuff and enjoying life to the full to waste time effort and energy on this sloppy shower of miserablist losers.

Ain't it so true, like an infestation, negative people draw together and try to suck the energy out of the whole world ! Be long gone thy vile puking fawning weaning devils, I cast thee out once and for all.

Rich.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Ain't it so true, like an infestation, negative people draw together and try to suck the energy out of the whole world ! Be long gone thy vile puking fawning weaning devils, I cast thee out once and for all.

Rich.
Hmmm... I'm putting you down as..... a dealer in your spare time. Either that or a communist. Eitherway they'll get ya

Last edited by g_is_for_canada; Aug 1st 2006 at 5:01 am.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:02 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

People of this thread, I recommend:

Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:23 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah Peas below is the requisite intoxicant.
Directions: miserablists to ingest 2x daily til turned blue.

[and an especially-for-Peas mini-factamundo of the day, Elvis Costello has some haida art which he lets out for museum shows. Nice dude eh].

Rich [communist hippy drug dealing deluded smiley faced mentalist with a size 12 PMA - positive mental attitude]
Attached Thumbnails Civil Engineer Salary-1890s_rat_poison_trade_card_800.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.