Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Hi

Mr L2S and I have our Citizenship Test next week.

We have:
- the Study Guide
- the only line guide
- the on-line tests
- the podcast

So I feel we are set for the material for revising.

But does anyone have any hints or tips?

Is it true that there are some "pass or fail" questions?

Thanks
L2S
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Its been a while since I did it, but you did have to get the voting rights bit right. Its really a no brainer though, unless its been toughened up since back in the day.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:29 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Did mine 3 weeks ago ish.

No fail Questions

20 Multi choice, you need 15, you should be getting 90-100%, its just the stuff in the book

Use the online tests and apps. Read the book listen to the Audio in car and your good to go.

Hint would be read through first and answer all Q in your head before Ticking a circle, that way u don't skip past any questions, leave a gap and accidentally answer in the wrong box. (Answer sheet is a separate document with numbers and letters easy for some to get mixed up)

All exam sheets are mixed up, so no copying as the person next to you will most likely have a different question sheet.

Try this site

http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

Last edited by magnumpi; Jan 8th 2014 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its been a while since I did it, but you did have to get the voting rights bit right. Its really a no brainer though, unless its been toughened up since back in the day.
It has!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/more...ests-1.1413674
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the free app in my sig. Just keep going over the questions till you know all the answers correctly.
My wife and I did just that after reading the book and we found the real test easy.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:48 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
Hi

Mr L2S and I have our Citizenship Test next week.
It is good to know you are alive and well and completing the final stage of immigration. Even if you choose to move on in the future it is important that you have the same citizenships as junior L2S(s).

The test is a bit tougher than when iaink and I did it. However, it is still something that an English speaker who has read and disgested the booklet has no need to fear.

There are many online sample tests to practice on. E.g. http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Have a few drinks beforehand.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:44 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I came away from mine with the firm impression that a monkey armed with a pencil was capable of passing.
As long as you know that Chicago isn't one of the prairie provinces you should be fine
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I did so many of the online tests, but then found that several of them hadn't been covered when it came to test day. Everything is in the book they send you, just read that a lot. Hubby took it to work and was reading it there, so I was using the online tests, he knew answers that I didn't.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I came away from mine with the firm impression that a monkey armed with a pencil was capable of passing.
As long as you know that Chicago isn't one of the prairie provinces you should be fine
Anyone who understands English should be able to get 50% by writing off the two crazy answers and picking one of the other two at random. 75% requires a bit of luck or study.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Anyone who understands English should be able to get 50% by writing off the two crazy answers and picking one of the other two at random. 75% requires a bit of luck or study.
the test may be more difficult now but one some of the questions you could eliminate three "crazy answers". I got one question about identifying the "prairie provinces", once you'd eliminated any answer with a US state or city or "Nova Scotia" in it , you were only left with one possible choice.

Granted a few of the questions did involve some knowledge of the country
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I finished my test in under two minutes, there was one question I hesitated on, I'm sure if you search on here I mentioned it in the past. Basically it was a poorly worded question. Got 100%.

People on here seem to think it's harder in Vancouver, not sure why, but there are questions like, what are the main industries in the province, oil and gas, etc. which are mind-numbingly easy. Really I thought it was more a test of whether you understand English.

If you're British and have any clue at all you'd be hard-pressed to fail although AC seems to think otherwise.

All that effort remembering who the Lt. Gov is and the War of 1812 and there weren't any questions on things like that.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:12 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on which question booklet you get, I found the test quite easy, but others I spoke to found it hard and were unsure if they had passed.

I was asked by one guy "what got burned down in Ottawa" a question he got and not I, when I told him the answer he said "hmm that's one I know I got wrong. " Lol
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I think hubby and I each got one wrong, but we know that because we randomly ended up with the same paper so were able to compare after. I'm assuming that the people who sit the test together would likely be at the same ceremony, we recognised one person from our group, none of the rest seemed to be there. Not to say that I have a photographic memory, but I tend to recognise a face I've seen before so to recognise nobody else from our group seemed to indicate to me that they had not all passed.

I think the test is supposed to be harder than it used to be, but I really don't think it's that difficult either, especially when they essentially give you most of the answers in the book
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I finished my test in under two minutes, there was one question I hesitated on, I'm sure if you search on here I mentioned it in the past. Basically it was a poorly worded question. Got 100%.

Things must have changed..... I did my test in Feb 2013 and I never got the result - Only "Successfully met the requirements"

The test has definitely changed - there are good online practice tests but I had a couple of questions that I hadn't seen before. As said - delete two answers, stab at a third.

I just counted through those that I was certain certain of getting right, I knew 16 were absolutely correct and so handed in my sheet.

Do revise - I think you need too - I doubt anyone would pass without revising, or a good base knowledge of Canadian History, Geography or Politics.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.