Reload this Page >

Citizenship test

Citizenship test

Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship test

Hi.

How many questions are compulsory in the sense that you have to get them correct. Are these questions specificaly marked so that I can know that I cannot mess up on those. Does the test have a lot of historical dates
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship test

20 questions, you have to get at least 75% iirc, it's really easy.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
As above, 15 out of 20 required to pass.
Its really easy and mainly checks on your English comprehension more than anything, so just read the questions carefully as they are worded in a way that if your English was not that great, you would get the question wrong.
ie....what is NOT true of this statement.....

http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/
Check out the above website for practice tests online. I found the book great to read but way too much information for me to remember.

Good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

I cannot agree that it's really easy. I found it challenging having studied all the material in the guide plus plenty of extra information sites. 75% is a very high pass mark in any test, and some of the questions are trick questions so you really really have to read them twice, and then check your answer at least once. I was getting 95-100% on practice test for months before doing the test. I felt I couldn't have improved on my performance because some of the question I saw in the test I had seen for the first time. Yes, some were laughably easy but they were in the minority. Also other people seemed to have completely different questions to me so perhaps some test papers are ludicrously easy and some quite difficult. I would certainly not want to do that test in a foreign language because the trick questions would easily fool a non-native English speaker.

I heard of people going into the test having heard that one can pass without studying and they were clearly shocked when the started the test. I would say it would be highly unlikely to get 3 out of every 4 questions correct if you don't study. In fact I'd say you would probably fail. Just study hard - you have probably waited long for this, so don't screw up by letting yourself down at the final hurdle (by final I mean another few months to get the oath invite). All the best to the OP and any one else doing it.

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Hey,
As above, 15 out of 20 required to pass.
Its really easy and mainly checks on your English comprehension more than anything, so just read the questions carefully as they are worded in a way that if your English was not that great, you would get the question wrong.
ie....what is NOT true of this statement.....

http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/
Check out the above website for practice tests online. I found the book great to read but way too much information for me to remember.

Good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no, I totally agree you need to study for it.
And if you don't then you certainly won't pass.
But if you do the practice tests online, which really just help to highlight the areas of the study book that you need to remember, then you should be fine!
Good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Has it changed significantly then because when I did it it was a piece of piss. Simply put its an English comprehension exercise, read the book and you will be fine.

It used to be that one or two questions on voting / rights of citizens you had to get right, but none of that was rocket surgery.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

You MUST get the last 4 questions correct. They were on the last page and if I remember, they pertained to Canadian voting.
I was informed that any incorrect answer would be a fail on any of those 4 questions. Now that was 2 1/2 years ago in London, Ontario.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:12 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Utterly, utterly easy. More easy than an easy thing going easily.

Read the booklet, try the online tests and remember to open your eyes whilst filling in the answers (optional as this will only allow you to finish 30 seconds faster).
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:13 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
I cannot agree that it's really easy. I found it challenging having studied all the material in the guide, and some of the questions are trick questions so you really really have to read them twice, and then check your answer at least once. I was getting 95-100% on practice test for months before doing the test. I felt I couldn't have improved on my performance because some of the question I saw in the test I had seen for the first time. Yes, some were laughably easy but they were in the minority. Also other people seemed to have completely different questions to me so perhaps some test papers are ludicrously easy and some quite difficult. I would certainly not want to do that test in a foreign language because the trick questions would easily fool a non-native English speaker.

I heard of people going into the test having heard that one can pass without studying and they were clearly shocked when the started the test. I would say it would be highly unlikely to get 3 out of every 4 questions correct if you don't study. In fact I'd say you would probably fail. Just study hard - you have probably waited long for this, so don't screw up by letting yourself down at the final hurdle (by final I mean another few months to get the oath invite). All the best to the OP and any one else doing it.

Ditto ... I was getting 80 or 90% on the practice test but was glad I read the book
My S-i-L just failed (she didn't read the book!)
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I took mine 3 weeks ago (got my ceremony tommorow WOOP WOOP) it was so easy!

Although i did read my book a lot.

It took me 3 mins to complete the test and some of the questions were stupid they were so easy. easy in the sense if you have intergrated into Canadian life and culture.

For instance, one question was, why was Terry Fox so important to Canadian History?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonB1964
You MUST get the last 4 questions correct. They were on the last page and if I remember, they pertained to Canadian voting.
I was informed that any incorrect answer would be a fail on any of those 4 questions. Now that was 2 1/2 years ago in London, Ontario.
When we took our test at the end of last year, also in Ontario, they told us that there were no longer any questions that you had to get right - just 75% pass mark.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:52 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving
Hi.

How many questions are compulsory in the sense that you have to get them correct. Are these questions specificaly marked so that I can know that I cannot mess up on those. Does the test have a lot of historical dates
I think I read somewhere that there are no longer any questions that you have to get right? I will try & find the link & post it here. We sit our test next Friday! Good luck with yours x
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

They changed the test a few years ago. Before then there was one question you had to get right. This was something like, "who is able to vote in Canadian elections?" The test was ridiculously easy. Someone said that the hardest part of the test was deciding which end of the pencil to write with. That just about summed it up.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Both of the people saying it was hard live in BC, maybe the CIC office in Vancouver uses tougher questions.

The only question I had on mine that was even remotely challenging was: "What distinctly Canadian qualities are embodied in the constitution of Canada?" Or something similar to that. But reading through the answer it was a process of elimination, not Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness, not Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, etc.

Anyway I got 20/20 and finished in literally three minutes. Given the importance of it I didn't even bother to read back through my answers to double-check it was so easy.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
Both of the people saying it was hard live in BC, maybe the CIC office in Vancouver uses tougher questions.

The only question I had on mine that was even remotely challenging was: "What distinctly Canadian qualities are embodied in the constitution of Canada?" Or something similar to that. But reading through the answer it was a process of elimination, not Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness, not Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, etc.

Anyway I got 20/20 and finished in literally three minutes. Given the importance of it I didn't even bother to read back through my answers to double-check it was so easy.
Vancouver probably is tougher. I did get a question about rights in Canada and one of the possible answers was the right to beat your spouse. That really is a tough one because the guide does not say you cannot!

How do you know your mark? Did you get it same day or some point later on? I was expecting to know same day but didn't get an iota. The cic people were absolutely obsessed with counter-cheating measures. There were at least 3 cycles of questions in the room and probably a lot more. Some immigrants take the P though - I heard cases of chinese telling each other the answers. The Vancouver CIC have probably come under intense criticism for that. I guess if they give you 100% you could memorize the Q+A and publish them on a site like this, giving the game away. Whereas if they don't tell you, you can only assume you got 75% and don't know for sure which answers you got right and wrong. I do hope, however, that I got the "beating one's spouse" one right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.