Citizenship Question

Citizenship Question

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

LondonderryMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Citizenship Question

Hey everyone.

Posting on behalf of a friend.
Ok, so here's the story. He was born in New Zealand in 1989, with his dad being a canadian citizen at the time of his birth. He is now living in Ireland with his dad due to his mum recently passing, and is wondering whether he would be eligible for canadian citizenship?

I found this on the canadian immigration site: "You are also a Canadian if you were born in another country after February 14, 1977, and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth."

So it looks like he would be a canadian citizen, but he wants to find out for certain. How should he go about this? What application forms will he need to fill out and where should he send them? London or Canada?

I hope someone can clear this up a little,
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question

The horses mouth, so to speak...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules.asp

Was his dad canadian born / emigrated to canada and became a citizen, rather than inheriting his canadian citizenship? It makes a difference.

Then go here;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Original documents are required.
This is the form;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...n/CIT0001E.pdf

Processing is at whichever is the local Canadian High Commision / Consulate, which is London I think in his case.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 22nd 2009 at 3:48 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hey iain

yeah his dad was born in quebec. I was unaware of any difference it made? Is it big?

thanks for your kind reply
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonderryMan
Hey iain

yeah his dad was born in quebec. I was unaware of any difference it made? Is it big?

thanks for your kind reply
They introduced an ammended law in 2009 to prevent citizenship being passed on through generations where neither parent ever was in Canada.

Basically the same as the UK law now I guess...my kids are British, but their kids cant be even though in the face of it they have a "British" parent (unless my kids somehow actually live in the UK long enough to qualify as naturalised).

Last edited by iaink; Sep 22nd 2009 at 4:03 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone.

Posting on behalf of a friend.
Ok, so here's the story. He was born in New Zealand in 1989, with his dad being a canadian citizen at the time of his birth. He is now living in Ireland with his dad due to his mum recently passing, and is wondering whether he would be eligible for canadian citizenship?

I found this on the canadian immigration site: "You are also a Canadian if you were born in another country after February 14, 1977, and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth."

So it looks like he would be a canadian citizen, but he wants to find out for certain. How should he go about this? What application forms will he need to fill out and where should he send them? London or Canada?

If his father was born in Canada, he's a Canadian citizen by descent.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

He's also a New Zealand citizen by birth.

Is he a British citizen and does he have children?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Hey JAJ. Thanks for the post!

Well he'll be happy to hear that he is likely canadian!

Yeah he's got a New Zealand Passport and has recently got Irish Citizenship, not British, but would likely be able to claim british if he wants, as he lives in Northern Ireland.

He's only 20, has no kids etc His dad currently lives in NI too, and his canadian passport has expired, but im assuming that it doesnt matter as long as he has his canadian birth certificate?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey JAJ. Thanks for the post!

Well he'll be happy to hear that he is likely canadian!
He should understand that his own children, if born outside Canada, won't automatically be Canadian. But if he brings them to Canada as immigrants, they could be granted Canadian citizenship.

Any future children he has will be New Zealand citizens by descent.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Yeah he's got a New Zealand Passport and has recently got Irish Citizenship, not British, but would likely be able to claim british if he wants, as he lives in Northern Ireland.
How did he get his Irish citizenship and how long has he been living in Northern Ireland? And on what basis did he arrive in the United Kingdom.

If he is eligible for British citizenship, he should apply for it.

He's only 20, has no kids etc His dad currently lives in NI too, and his canadian passport has expired, but im assuming that it doesnt matter as long as he has his canadian birth certificate?
Father should renew his Canadian passport.

Does the father have a British or Irish passport? If not, what is father's immigration status?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Citizenship Question

He came to NI because his mum sadly passed away in New Zealand and his dad had spent the last 15-20 years living here. His dad currently has Irish citizenship as well, but fmy friend, frrom what I understand about the situation, was granted Irish citizenship because of his Irish grandmother. He has lived here for aprroximately 4 years, but due to family difficulties he wants to move on, and would like to take the opportunity to give Canada a go. I don't think his dad would be overly willing to renew his canadian passport (long story!!) so I think he is just going to have to rely on his dads birth certificate instead.

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

He came to NI because his mum sadly passed away in New Zealand and his dad had spent the last 15-20 years living here. His dad currently has Irish citizenship as well, but fmy friend, frrom what I understand about the situation, was granted Irish citizenship because of his Irish grandmother. He has lived here for aprroximately 4 years, but due to family difficulties he wants to move on, and would like to take the opportunity to give Canada a go. I don't think his dad would be overly willing to renew his canadian passport (long story!!) so I think he is just going to have to rely on his dads birth certificate instead.

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated
Not mandatory for his father to have a Canadian passport in order to stay a Canadian citizen. Does your friend have access to his birth certificate?

He should apply for a Canadian citizenship card asap as these things take time to get issued.

Your friend should also be aware that if he has children born in Canada or elsewhere they can be registered as Irish citizens (using the same process he used, unless the law changes).

If he accumulates 5 years in Northern Ireland he meets the residence requirement for British citizenship.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah he has the birth certificate, and at the minute he is just getting the required photographs together so we can send the application form etc off on monday or tuesday. I am aware it will take time, but like you said, the sooner he submits it the better.

The birth certificate is from Quebec, but from what we gathered as long as it was issued after 1994 then it is valid when applying for the citizenship certificate.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:52 pm
A Brit where every U live

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Sounds like what I fell under (Just different countries we live(d) in) my mother was (Dead know not when I applied) Canadian Father (Deceased) English. when I applied for this (Since changed to one parent has to be Canadian) parents were not married Mother Canadian, in short when your parents are married you take the citizenship of your father, when they are not you take the citizenship of your mother. (Mother Canadian Father English) also I was born in England as well.

Not sure about Quebec though is it is the same as rest of Canada.

Last edited by Bad1; Feb 21st 2010 at 2:54 pm. Reason: Add to post
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Bad1
Sounds like what I fell under (Just different countries we live(d) in) my mother was (Dead know not when I applied) Canadian Father (Deceased) English. when I applied for this (Since changed to one parent has to be Canadian) parents were not married Mother Canadian, in short when your parents are married you take the citizenship of your father, when they are not you take the citizenship of your mother.
This is misleading and wrong.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:42 pm

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is misleading and wrong.
Well it isn't my word (Meaning I didn't make it up) it is what I was told, wither it wrong or not I have no idea, but if it is wrong why would it be? if a women had a baby and no man around which lots can do, you couldn't prove what nationality the father was/is and if they are around you can, there makes perfect sense......... (take the nationality of it's Motherif no Dad in picture)

Because it was that way with me, my parents were not married when I was born, and now there have changed things to either parent being Canadian and not just Mother or both parents having to be Canadian.

If I do have it wrong please explain where???

Last edited by Bad1; Feb 21st 2010 at 6:50 pm. Reason: Add to post
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Bad1
Well it isn't my word (Meaning I didn't make it up) it is what I was told, wither it wrong or not I have no idea, but if it is wrong why would it be? if a women had a baby and no man around which lots can do, you couldn't prove what nationality the father was/is and if they are around you can, there makes perfect sense......... (take the nationality of it's Motherif no Dad in picture)

Because it was that way with me, my parents were not married when I was born, and now there have changed things to either parent being Canadian and not just Mother or both parents having to be Canadian.

If I do have it wrong please explain where???
You have it wrong. Here's how. Let's look at how it works in Canada.

If a child is born in Canada => child is Canadian (unless parents are diplomats or similar). End of story. Child might inherit a foreign nationality from parents but Canada has no say in that.

If child is born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, then read:

If child is born in the United Kingdom, it's all explained here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
You have it wrong. Here's how. Let's look at how it works in Canada.

If a child is born in Canada => child is Canadian (unless parents are diplomats or similar). End of story. Child might inherit a foreign nationality from parents but Canada has no say in that.

If child is born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, then read:

If child is born in the United Kingdom, it's all explained here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom
Well JAJ I thank you for that.

I fell under the Jan/47 to Feb/77 born between these dates. "And sorry for having it wrong that is what good about forums like this to put me right".............
Until you hear or see it differently you automatically think it is right.

Mother was/is born in Lethbridge AB.Canada (Deceased)

Father English not married to Mom when I was born.

I was born in England. (So British by place of birth and Canadian because of my Mother)

Last edited by Bad1; Feb 21st 2010 at 8:58 pm. Reason: Add to post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.