Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship application

Citizenship application

Old Dec 30th 2013, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Citizenship application

OK......so.....I've sent of my application for citizenship today. I guess that, this time next year, I will be wondering just how long it can really take for the beaurocrats to process this!

Now, I know that they receive a large number of applications for citizenship, but I really find it hard to accept that it will take nearly 2 years!!!! Seems to me that they should attempt to staff their offices at a level appropriate to the task in hand.

I cannot see that a processing time of ....say....6 months is asking too much.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application

Depends where you are in the country, Ontario and BC are the worst. There's going to be a citizenship bill this year, one of the things they're planning on doing is raising the application fee and hiring more staff.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:28 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
OK......so.....I've sent of my application for citizenship today. I guess that, this time next year, I will be wondering just how long it can really take for the beaurocrats to process this!

Now, I know that they receive a large number of applications for citizenship, but I really find it hard to accept that it will take nearly 2 years!!!! Seems to me that they should attempt to staff their offices at a level appropriate to the task in hand.

Ajax, Ontario was 7 months. Applied in May, test Dec 20, Oath on Jan 2nd 2014.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was ok too, a few days shy of a year from mailing to ceremony, also Ontario. Do they still leave them on a desk in Sydney for 6 months? I was under the understanding that the forms had to be forwarded to the regional office that would be dealing with your application within 6 months, hence why I ask if they stay on a desk until then, we heard from our local office very quickly after that point.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 2:34 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

We're still waiting after over 3 years...... test was in August, we passed but still no ceremony Our application was sent in Oct 2010.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 2:37 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

That someone who has lived in Canada for the requisite three years and presumably, before that, went through the TWP/PR process with associated beauracracy and is still surprised that their Citizenship application will take two years, made me smile.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:06 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Accept it. You are dealing with the Government of Canada.

Besides why pay more taxes just so that CIC can staff up and process Citizenship Application faster. Definitely more pressing concerns out there.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That someone who has lived in Canada for the requisite three years and presumably, before that, went through the TWP/PR process with associated beauracracy and is still surprised that their Citizenship application will take two years, made me smile.
Thanks for the input .... I didn't express any surprise....I was simply expressing my view that it shouldn't NEED to take such a long period of time.

Steve
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
Accept it. You are dealing with the Government of Canada.

Besides why pay more taxes just so that CIC can staff up and process Citizenship Application faster. Definitely more pressing concerns out there.
Can't help but agree with you! I understand, and accept, that the whole immigration process is extremely bogged down. If the backlogs were able to be dealt with, then the processes would obviously take less time.

"Accept it"..... I have no choice....but I don't have to like it!

It isn't exactly rocket science .....it should be possible to process applications within a six month period. Just because it is the Government of Canada, doesn't make it acceptable.

Steve
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:59 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help but agree with you! I understand, and accept, that the whole immigration process is extremely bogged down. If the backlogs were able to be dealt with, then the processes would obviously take less time.

"Accept it"..... I have no choice....but I don't have to like it!

It isn't exactly rocket science .....it should be possible to process applications within a six month period. Just because it is the Government of Canada, doesn't make it acceptable.

Steve
I agree - if it was MPs expenses you can bet your life it wouldn't take that long. IT's not as if we're not already well and truly in the system.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Or if you owed taxes would it take them 3 years to process??
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship application

Hi,

I sent mine on New Years Eve - and also in BC!

I was eager to get mine in as I was worried they were going to change the pre-requisites.

Sarah
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to someone I know who works at CIC. It's a total shambles the way they operate. They've hired a lot of short term staff but didn't give them proper training.
I think 2 years is being optimistic.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:14 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Spoke to someone I know who works at CIC. It's a total shambles the way they operate. They've hired a lot of short term staff but didn't give them proper training.
I think 2 years is being optimistic.
So how do you explain the speedy processing we had, May 2013 posted, Jan 2, 2014 Oath day
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
So how do you explain the speedy processing we had, May 2013 posted, Jan 2, 2014 Oath day
It depends on who processes your application, some can be strict whereas others can be more relaxed. It's all about luck.
I received an RQ and it was processed within 4 months whereas for most people it's taking 4 years. Because of the amount of backlog that they've accumulated and the number of RQs they are sending, it's going to quite some time to get the job done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.