Citizenship

Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

tperkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship

How many of you have taken the next step and become Canadian citizens? We all got our citizenship back in June so now we feel like we really belong!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by tperkz
How many of you have taken the next step and become Canadian citizens? We all got our citizenship back in June so now we feel like we really belong!
Have been a citizen for six years now
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
Have been a citizen for six years now
34 years for me.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
34 years for me.
Long time, eh? I wonder if there's anyone between you and me.....
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:33 pm

Long time, eh? I wonder if there's anyone between you and me.....
Seems like a lifetime ago now. Haven't thought of myself as anything other than Canadian for some time now.

I sure hope there is otherwise we have a problem.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seems like a lifetime ago now. Haven't thought of myself as anything other than Canadian for some time now.

I sure hope there is otherwise we have a problem.
It mazes me how many either don't bother, or just don't get around to getting their citizenship. Having said that - it probably would have included us if need hadn't arisen and made us get off our butts and do it!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:52 pm

It mazes me how many either don't bother, or just don't get around to getting their citizenship. Having said that - it probably would have included us if need hadn't arisen and made us get off our butts and do it!
Back when I got mine (I know that was when Noah was a lad.) citizenship afforded me no advantages other than I could work for the government. Which is why I got it.

However I am very glad I did now.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Back when I got mine (I know that was when Noah was a lad.) citizenship afforded me no advantages other than I could work for the government. Which is why I got it.

.....and the right to vote?? Surely?
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:15 pm

.....and the right to vote?? Surely?
No...I don't know when the law changed but I was able to vote as a landed immigrant non citizen from the UK up until I got my citizenship in 1972.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I've had mine for a while too so now I don't feel guilty about ending my sentences with an eh!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a citizen since 1985.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tperkz
Sounds like a dumb question, but what exactly is involved??

A lot of people have asked me if I would consider the "Duel" route, so I may have to research that a little more.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:23 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Sounds like a dumb question, but what exactly is involved??

A lot of people have asked me if I would consider the "Duel" route, so I may have to research that a little more.

You get the right to vote (so frustrating, I got mine the day after the federal election) and the right to a Canadian passport. Oh, and it gets easier to apply for federal jobs.

I also imagine it would be more difficult for the govt. to deport you for criminal activities....

No duelling involved for us, GB and Canada recognise dual citizenship But - if you are living here, working here and intend to stay here I cannot see why you won't apply.

Oh, thought of another reason to do it - otherwise you have to fill out those friggin' PR forms every 5 years ( )

Clare

Be warned, they take away your nice PR card with its clear security details (holograms, scanned in photo and signature etc) and give you some crap laminated card instead.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

11 months for me.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Deckchair is on a distinguished road

I've been one since February. Husband's one, kids are one, so it just made life easier! Agree with ClareBC though -the card looks terrible compared to the posh PR one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.