Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choosing an area to live? How did you do it?

Choosing an area to live? How did you do it?

Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Choosing an area to live? How did you do it?

Hi,

I started another thread titled "moving over without a job lined up"

The replies were more successful than not, in terms of it working out for people. So that's encouraging

Following on from that, can I ask how did you go about choosing an area to live ?
- Was it recommended?
- Did you base yourself somewhere well populated to enhance your chances of employment? (no brainer eh)
- If you had kids, did you choose a 'good' school based on research/reports then work everything else around that?

Be good to hear stories of how people's stories..

Cheers

Last edited by Roberto1980; Aug 21st 2015 at 4:05 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing an area to live? How did you do it?

I married a Canadian. I was never going to get a good paying job and I didn't really want one anyway as I had been planning to retire early to a life of leisure in Spain. But fate stepped in.

Anyway, I did have equity from my house in Bristol and I discovered that the price of property was so low in Atlantic Canada that I could buy a house for the family to live in and buy a rental property, the income from which would supplement my actuarially reduced pension.

My wife and her kids were Montreal based and bred and the kids still needed education in French, so NB being bilingual was the obvious place and it was then a case of which city.

Many of the rentals in Saint John looked a bit ramshackle and I wanted to be a good landlord with nice accommodation.

None of us were drivers so we needed somewhere central and that was more feasible in Moncton than Fredericton.

There's a view that cheap housing means no good jobs. Not necessarily true.

There may be fewer of the very top jobs - but fewer qualified applicants as well - but when major employers in the area include hospitals/health authorities, education authorities, universities, communications, IT, financial centres as well as Federal, provincial and municipal government jobs the choice is a lot more than call centre, retail and chopping down trees!

Not meaning to be disrespectful, it's others who seem to look down on such occupations.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Visit several times before moving. If you need to work, find a job, stay in a hotel for a month, find somewhere to rent for further 6 months or so, scope out different areas before buying anything.

If on a temp permit, rent until the permit is permanent. Selling can be a lengthy and very expensive process.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:55 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from East London so East Toronto seemed to make sense, plus its marginally cheaper like for like than the west side.

The fact that Pape and Danforth intersection (after which Rush named a song I rather like) is in the east end too did inform my decision. I kid you not.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 6:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
The fact that Pape and Danforth intersection (after which Rush named a song I rather like) is in the east end too did inform my decision. I kid you not.
No fly by night decision for you then.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The area chose us based on a job offer.

We were living in Manchester at the time. My then girlfriend (now wife) came home from work one day and said she had tagged along with a friend who went to a recruitment fair at lunch time. My wife, a nurse, somehow got offered a job with Toronto General and she's still not sure exactly how it happened. Anyway, we were young and had no kids so I figured why not? We'd been to Toronto before on a brief stop during a trip around the US & Canada and we liked the look of it.

I had lined up an interview for the day after we arrived and was lucky enough to get the job. However, I was young and naive and didn't understand that I couldn't just start work and that I actually needed my own work permit. That took a couple of weeks to sort out.

Within the city itself, we wanted to be close to the action and, after staying in a short-term rental downtown while we looked around, we found an apartment in the Yonge/Eglinton area within walking distance of the subway.

Still seems like yesterday but that was 1989. Good times.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980

Following on from that, can I ask how did you go about choosing an area to live ?

Cheers
Vancouver, because have you seen the rest of Canada?
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:37 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No fly by night decision for you then.
At some stage when jumping into the great unknown you have to Roll the Bones.

Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from East London so East Toronto seemed to make sense
I was from Surrey so I moved to Surrey, BC
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:46 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by JamesM
I was from Surrey so I moved to Surrey, BC
Did you?

When I found that South Africa has a town actually called East London I resolved to retire and spend my last days there. Being on the south coast it neatly addressed the south London problem too.

Doubt I shall manage that now and it will have to be London, ON. Though there is a village/ hamlet called Little Britain out there somewhere, and you have to admit the comedy series was great.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to where the job offer was.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Hi,

I started another thread titled "moving over without a job lined up"

The replies were more successful than not, in terms of it working out for people. So that's encouraging

I didn't. It just sort of happened.

- Was it recommended?
no

- Did you base yourself somewhere well populated to enhance your chances of employment?
No. I did specify no further than an hour's drive to nearest city (Montreal)/international airport. I lucked out, in a way, that there were few qualified candidates for the few white-collar jobs available locally, at the time.

- If you had kids, did you choose a 'good' school based on research/reports then work everything else around that?

No. (You should be seeing a theme ...). Sprogs were 3 & 4 at the time. They went to a brilliant village school where class sizes averaged 8-10. I homeschooled along-side for a while, on & off, over the years.

Cheers
As you will have probably noticed, I'm not typical & tend to screw polls on immigration .
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

At some stage when jumping into the great unknown you have to Roll the Bones.
I only had the one LP so I can only play this game with that one but I'll do the best I can. It'll be good enough in the end.

Now, back on topic
Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:45 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Thinking about it the western half would have been adequately covered by YYZ. I've been living a lie!

The topic was where to live in Canada according to the music of Rush wasn't it?
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 12:29 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's job had specific requirements which the practice were able to meet, the job also came with some enhancements to make it slightly more appealing to us. Until very very recently the husband was tied to that job, but with the arrival of COPR and his full license we now have some security although we would never move areas again- that would be so unfair on my eldest son.

We also wanted to be no more than two hours away from the airport, I wanted a decent amount of snow and we wanted somewhere where the kids could have a decent roaming space and lots of outdoor activities. I was going to say we lucked out because it's stunning here and we've made a great circle of friends but I also did tirelessly research most areas of Ontario even down to what swim club my eldest son would transfer to. We researched house prices too given that we were looking for a better standard of living it didn't make sense to live near Toronto and have to shell out on a mortgage. Schools- there's always going to be good and bad but we did want the option of learning French so we looked for that too. My middle child will start French Immersion in September. Lastly we came out for a visit although honestly a visit will never really tell you what any place is like to actually live in.

But I concur with most people comments that the job is the number one deciding factor. You could live somewhere great but if you can't find work... Ontario is not a great place to be struggling to make ends meet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.