Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cholcolate Lake NS

Cholcolate Lake NS

Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cholcolate Lake NS

Hi, Does anyone have any info about Chocolate lake? I have found a lovely house to rent and the schools look OK but I can't find any detailed info about this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Angela
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:26 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cholcolate Lake NS

Originally Posted by achak View Post
Hi, Does anyone have any info about Chocolate lake? I have found a lovely house to rent and the schools look OK but I can't find any detailed info about this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Angela
I think its okay. What road is it on? Chocolate Lake is very popular for skating in the winter and swimming in the summer. Its very convenient to Halifax - just beyod the penninsula side of the Armdale Rotary which takes about 10 mins to downtown during the day and 20 mins in "rush hour".

There are a couple of parts around there that I think look a bit dodgy (some high-rise flats and sometime suspicious-looking teens hanging around) but equally I know a couple of people who live nearby who rate the area very highly and say it has excellent schools etc. Do you mean Elementary schools or high school? If its in the catchment for the Charles Tupper elementary school thats supposed to be about the best in the area.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough

Thanks

Angela
As NSPaul says, it depends what side. It is close to Cowie Hill and Spryfield, two areas to avoid in Halifax. We did look at a new house built there but decided against because of the location. Chocolate Lake was also closed for a time during the summer due to high bacteria count in the water.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul View Post
I think its okay. What road is it on? Chocolate Lake is very popular for skating in the winter and swimming in the summer. Its very convenient to Halifax - just beyod the penninsula side of the Armdale Rotary which takes about 10 mins to downtown during the day and 20 mins in "rush hour".

There are a couple of parts around there that I think look a bit dodgy (some high-rise flats and sometime suspicious-looking teens hanging around) but equally I know a couple of people who live nearby who rate the area very highly and say it has excellent schools etc. Do you mean Elementary schools or high school? If its in the catchment for the Charles Tupper elementary school thats supposed to be about the best in the area.
Hi, Thanks for that. We were originally looking at Bedford but this house caught my eye I'm not sure if it's an elementary school I'm looking for. I have a 12 year old and an 8 year old. It seems to good to be true with the prices and the proximity to Halifax! To be honest there is not alot of choice when it comes to short term rentals with pets.

Angela
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for that. We were originally looking at Bedford but this house caught my eye I'm not sure if it's an elementary school I'm looking for. I have a 12 year old and an 8 year old. It seems to good to be true with the prices and the proximity to Halifax! To be honest there is not alot of choice when it comes to short term rentals with pets.

Angela
I know someone who lives on Chocolate Lake and their street is definitely more expensive than the equivalent houses in Bedford (by a long way), so if its seems a bargain, it may be on the Spryfield / Cowie Hill bit.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Angela
Hi Angela
we had the same problem when we first moved here, as we bought our cats and dogs with us. If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is
It's not a new house that shares a drive with another and looks down onto the lake is it?
I wish we had rented first though as we ended up buying in Bedford and have regretted it ever since. Hopefully now youngest has finished school, and started university, we can look to move next Spring.
Mind you, maybe you can rent ours and we can move before then - school for 8 year old just minutes from the house

Last edited by Halifax harpie; Oct 24th 2007 at 8:55 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not really a lake made out of chocolate....but you knew that? Right?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:58 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie View Post
Hi Angela
we had the same problem when we first moved here, as we bought our cats and dogs with us. If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is
It's not a new house that shares a drive with another and looks down onto the lake is it?
I wish we had rented first though as we ended up buying in Bedford and have regretted it ever since. Hopefully now youngest has finished school, and started university, we can look to move next Spring.
Mind you, maybe you can rent ours and we can move before then - school for 8 year old just minutes from the house
Just curious to know why you aren't keen on Bedford? I dont live there but lots of people seem to rave about it
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Anything brown in a lake should generally be avoided
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:00 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by iaink View Post

great, now the Willie Wonka song is playing in my head!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

great, now the Willie Wonka song is playing in my head!
[email protected]$tard...now I've got umpalumpas running round inside my head too
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Just curious to know why you aren't keen on Bedford? I dont live there but lots of people seem to rave about it
As you know, Bedford covers quite a large area, and some areas are definitely better than others. Would have no problem living along Shore Road We are in the newer part, by Papermill Lake. Big houses built right on top of each other. There is absolutely no privacy living here. Just after we moved in, they ripped the forest out behind us to build new condo's which also didn't help. Then the cinema closed down, Bedford Highway is a nightmare for getting kids to school in Halifax, can take OH 40 mins to get to work in Burnside, and we are one of the last areas to get cleared by snow ploughs. Seriously, I could go on, we have not been happy here.
I also don't like the attitude of the people living here. There is no community spirit. Have never lived anywhere where you are not allowed to do as you like in your own property. You are not allowed to put up fences so neighbours just stroll across small bit of garden we have. Dogs have to be chained up if we take them outside. Hate to think what will happen to the cats now new bylaw passed Can't hang washing outside, have to keep garden up to standard - or else.
We have a friend, also from UK, who lives close by. She is pregnant and OH was away on business. She had a delegation of neighbours knocking on her door. They demanded she cut her grass as it was too long, and was letting down the tone of the neighbourhood. Not one of them offered to help her, even though she explained her husband was away and was 6 months pregnant (having previously had a miscarriage).
The only good bit about it is house prices have increased considerably since we bought 2 years ago. Have had ours valued recently and agents reckon it's now worth C$90 000 more than we paid for it.
Can't wait to sell and move further out and get a bit more land around us, and hopefully be happier.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:19 pm
Immigration Consultant

Sounds like. Stepford gone wrong!

I reckon Fall River would be a much better bet for you in terms of privacy, lot sizes, and easy commute to Burnside. We've been really happy there. People aren't "up themselves" which it sounds like it might be what you are saying and the only delegations we had when we moved into the area were people bringing muffins and apple pies.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Hate to think what will happen to the cats now new bylaw passed
Bylaws have a habit of being ignored/ unenforced, and things get "grandfathered" in all the time in Canada when new laws are made. Ask anyone with a fully automatic weapon.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

As you know, Bedford covers quite a large area, and some areas are definitely better than others. Would have no problem living along Shore Road We are in the newer part, by Papermill Lake. Big houses built right on top of each other. There is absolutely no privacy living here. Just after we moved in, they ripped the forest out behind us to build new condo's which also didn't help. Then the cinema closed down, Bedford Highway is a nightmare for getting kids to school in Halifax, can take OH 40 mins to get to work in Burnside, and we are one of the last areas to get cleared by snow ploughs. Seriously, I could go on, we have not been happy here.
I also don't like the attitude of the people living here. There is no community spirit. Have never lived anywhere where you are not allowed to do as you like in your own property. You are not allowed to put up fences so neighbours just stroll across small bit of garden we have. Dogs have to be chained up if we take them outside. Hate to think what will happen to the cats now new bylaw passed Can't hang washing outside, have to keep garden up to standard - or else.
We have a friend, also from UK, who lives close by. She is pregnant and OH was away on business. She had a delegation of neighbours knocking on her door. They demanded she cut her grass as it was too long, and was letting down the tone of the neighbourhood. Not one of them offered to help her, even though she explained her husband was away and was 6 months pregnant (having previously had a miscarriage).
The only good bit about it is house prices have increased considerably since we bought 2 years ago. Have had ours valued recently and agents reckon it's now worth C$90 000 more than we paid for it.
Can't wait to sell and move further out and get a bit more land around us, and hopefully be happier.
That sounds awful....I am going to have a re think now I know there are not oommpaloompas dancing around the chocolate lake. Bedford was our first choice but am going to think about it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.