Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chip n' Pin - Do they use it?

Chip n' Pin - Do they use it?

Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:09 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chip n' Pin - Do they use it?

CST: " I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with doing that so I won't be accepting your cheque."
My response would have been, "Then get someone who is comfortable doing that and accepting my cheque."

You're way too kind I'd have set the manager on her.

We've never had any problem doing this in reverse (having money put into our account by a renter) with CIBC.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Customer service last week at Banko Ripoffee Nova Scotia:

Me: "Hi, I'd like to deposit this cheque into my landlord's account here at this branch."

Customer Service Twat (CST):"Oh, we only allow you to deposit a bankers draft or a certified cheque."

Me: "What? You won't allow me to put money INTO one of your customers accounts?"

CST:" No and I'd advise you to get a bankers draft as it's cheaper than a certified cheque otherwise if we accept your cheque it'll take 5 days to clear."

Me: "Not a problem. My landlord doesn't need the money for several weeks. This is for next months rent so 5 days is fine."

CST: " I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with doing that so I won't be accepting your cheque."

Me (incredulous and staring wildly at this point):" So you won't allow me to deposit the money even with a 5 day clearing period. I'd need to pay $10 for a certified cheque or $7.50 for a bankers draft?."

CST: "Yes, that's all I can do."

I should have taken it further but thought WTF, the CST was a cock-eyed old cow who couldn't spell cheque properly so she had enough problems in her life without me setting her manager on her.

So yes, great customer service encountered.
I go through this with the TD every pay day. Depositing a cheque into my account, a cheque drawn on another of my accounts with the same bank, requires much fetching of managers, explanations that it's highly irregular and, finally, promises to get it right without a fuss next time. I allow an hour and half for the transaction and usually get it done in that time. In terms of customer service they're just awful and, despite their adverts, they're hardly ever open.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:21 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
Customer service last week at Banko Ripoffee Nova Scotia:

Me: "Hi, I'd like to deposit this cheque into my landlord's account here at this branch."

Customer Service Twat (CST):"Oh, we only allow you to deposit a bankers draft or a certified cheque."

Me: "What? You won't allow me to put money INTO one of your customers accounts?"

CST:" No and I'd advise you to get a bankers draft as it's cheaper than a certified cheque otherwise if we accept your cheque it'll take 5 days to clear."

Me: "Not a problem. My landlord doesn't need the money for several weeks. This is for next months rent so 5 days is fine."

Me (incredulous and staring wildly at this point):" So you won't allow me to deposit the money even with a 5 day clearing period. I'd need to pay $10 for a certified cheque or $7.50 for a bankers draft?."

CST: "Yes, that's all I can do."

I should have taken it further but thought WTF, the CST was a cock-eyed old cow who couldn't spell cheque properly so she had enough problems in her life without me setting her manager on her.

So yes, great customer service encountered.
Oh yes. Scotiabank are well-anal.

I'd arranged my account with them before arriving. A couple of days after landing I went to my 'home' branch in Oakville. My cheque books were waiting for me, as was my bank card. Piece of piss. A few days later I was in Montreal and tried to use my card for the first time in a Scotiabank ATM.

Did it work? Did it buggery. The jobsworth troll at the customer 'service' desk informed me that the card had not been activated.

"OK, bint, I have $55k sitting in an account in Oakville and I can't get at it because some other customer 'service' drone forgot to tell me that I had to beg for my card to be activated. Let's activate it now. I have lots of ID."

"Can't do that. You have to do it at your branch."

"My branch is 600km away and I have absolutely no cash on me."

"Do I look like I care?"

<she didn't say that last bit but may as well have done>
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:45 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
My response would have been, "Then get someone who is comfortable doing that and accepting my cheque."

You're way too kind I'd have set the manager on her.

We've never had any problem doing this in reverse (having money put into our account by a renter) with CIBC.

Cheers
Steve
I know, I should have but I was dumbfounded at the total lack of "Customer Service'.

We ended up withdrawing the cash and depositing it.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:11 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

I know what your on about regarding TD bank, way back when I was 18 and had an account with them in Montreal, I'd deposited my pay cheque a week before the rent cheque post dated for a total of 14 days after my pay cheque deposit, they bounced my rent cheque & charged me $40. After alot of complaining and seeing the manager of the branch, I got my $40 back and a written apology of the banks error to present my landlord with... landlord wasn't happy as they had their own bank fees of $20 that wasn't covered.

That was what made me decide to open an account with the Royal Bank of Canada and sign up for one of their 'package' deals paying $8 a month for a certain amount of cheques/deposits & withdrawls, dont recall the amount of each I was entitled to do 'free' but I do remember the ATM charges at other banks being higher, so I always looked for an RBC ATM when doing withdrawls. Cheques I never bothered depositing in person, would use the little envelopes at the RBC's ATM's and deposit them there, saved the hassle of waiting in line.

Had an account with RBC for 10+ years now and plan on sticking with them as their fees aren't as high as CIBC & some of the other big banks in Canada plus they (most of the time) seem to know what they are doing. Can't complain about their customer service, whenever I had a problem they were willing to help me sort it out.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:17 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niz
There's not much to do, Toronto is a bit 'flat' in more ways than one.
Not much to do in T. OMG!!!! I'd say the reverse is true... I often have way too much to do. I have to have a diary just to manage my social engagements.

Right now, I could be out every night of the week if I wanted to be...

This is my last 7 days...

Thursday - Dinner
Friday - Party
Saturday - Skiing
Sunday - Festival in Liberty Village
Monday - chez moi
Tuesday - chez moi
Wednesday - Ballet

I have a hard time at the moment fitting work, BE and life outside work all in! I certainly don't think things are boring at all.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:21 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Not much to do in T. OMG!!!! I'd say the reverse is true... I often have way too much to do. I have to have a diary just to manage my social engagements.

Right now, I could be out every night of the week if I wanted to be...

This is my last 7 days...

Thursday - Dinner
Friday - Party
Saturday - Skiing
Sunday - Festival in Liberty Village
Monday - chez moi
Tuesday - chez moi
Wednesday - Ballet

I have a hard time at the moment fitting work, BE and life outside work all in! I certainly don't think things are boring at all.
You should try to have dinner more than once a week, poppet.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:55 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

ROLF..... I think I need less dinners at the moment!

As per TD... I moved to them from HSBC last month, as both of my mortgages are through them. The Account Sappa at the branch told me that because of my mortgage debt, I'm considered a high value customer, which basically means that they bend over backwards to help me.

A clear example of this was that I was in the branch near work to deposit a cheque a couple of weeks ago. The bloke behind the desk was pretty surly, until he plugged in my account details.

All of a sudden, he starts asking me how my day's going and talking about the weather etc.

What you might not realise is that Bank customer service staff treat you according to how valuable a customer you are to them. As I have two mortgages I get my arse licked on a fairly regular basis by TD. Therefore I have absolutely no problems with them as a bank!

In contrast, HSBC always treated me like I should be grateful that they allowed me to bank with them. Hence the move...