Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Childcare during school holidays in Canada?

Childcare during school holidays in Canada?

Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:31 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare during school holidays in Canada?

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Hey Millie - I get what you're saying about working women, but imo childcare is not just a women's issue - it's a parents issue.
Absolutely, but if you can't afford child care, it's often the woman, rather than the man, who gets penalized...not always, but more often. Many European countries (yes, let's hear it for all those wonderful Scandanavians) have taken this on board and ensured affordable, great child care.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I was actually chatting with a friend in New Zealand the other day, she pays $16 per day for her daughter in a licensed, subsidized home daycare.

The costs here negate anything I could currently earn.
Couldn't you combine the two and work from home while looking after the kids or take them with you? Or you even get them to help with the work. Are they old enough to operate a lawn mower or pick up dog poo?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

The youngest isn't old enough to sit up on her own yet lol!

Find me a job that allows for either. Even working from home they need occupying. If I forego sleep completely then maybe... or a decent part time job that pays more than minimum wage retail. I've not had any luck with that here either.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
The youngest isn't old enough to sit up on her own yet lol!

Find me a job that allows for either. Even working from home they need occupying. If I forego sleep completely then maybe... or a decent part time job that pays more than minimum wage retail. I've not had any luck with that here either.
What about proof-reading for manuscripts for a publishing company? I believe you can take a course, probably online, that'll give you the necessary skills. Then you just pick them up or have them sent you and you edit them at home.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:35 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Absolutely, but if you can't afford child care, it's often the woman, rather than the man, who gets penalized...not always, but more often. Many European countries (yes, let's hear it for all those wonderful Scandanavians) have taken this on board and ensured affordable, great child care.
the problem is that while we frame this as a 'women's' issue it's easy to stick it in that ghetto and ignore it. And I don't even think it's true. It's not like you can divide out what effects the mother and child and say it doesn't effect the father - this issue effects the whole family. If a parent is staying home because child care is too expensive, that effects the whole family because of the pressure that goes on the sole breadwinner and the financial sacrifices in general. This is NOT a women's issue, it's a human family issue.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What about proof-reading for manuscripts for a publishing company? I believe you can take a course, probably online, that'll give you the necessary skills. Then you just pick them up or have them sent you and you edit them at home.
I've looked into that, and almost took the course based on the company selling it telling me exactly that, then I got to know a couple of people in publishing. Most publishers either use in house proof-readers/copy editors, and expect a few years of working under their watchful eye before they let you work from home, or agencies, who again want experience before they take you on, neither are particularly keen on those online courses and would rather you did something like the publishing course at Ryerson. Freelancing is very hard to get into, and it's pretty well impossible to start that way apparently.

Shame really, because I think I would enjoy that. Now I just need to find someone to watch the children while I train and work... Oh. Ah.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

the problem is that while we frame this as a 'women's' issue it's easy to stick it in that ghetto and ignore it. And I don't even think it's true. It's not like you can divide out what effects the mother and child and say it doesn't effect the father - this issue effects the whole family. If a parent is staying home because child care is too expensive, that effects the whole family because of the pressure that goes on the sole breadwinner and the financial sacrifices in general. This is NOT a women's issue, it's a human family issue.
No! This is absolutely NOT a women's issue. However...women are so poorly represented in North America by a) women b)men c) companies and corporate policies d) politicians and political policies that I fear one might as well throw the towel in.....don't you find it positively backward here with regard to females in general? I am hoping that this might just be the fault of backward NB? If it is I apologise profusely....but this Province is really 'quite' the pits
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:00 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
No! This is absolutely NOT a women's issue. However...women are so poorly represented in North America by a) women b)men c) companies and corporate policies d) politicians and political policies that I fear one might as well throw the towel in.....don't you find it positively backward here with regard to females in general? I am hoping that this might just be the fault of backward NB? If it is I apologise profusely....but this Province is really 'quite' the pits
I don't find it backward in Vancouver, I find it enlightened in lots of ways. But Vancouver is not conservative and I don't think Van is typical of a lot of Canada. More unbelievers here than in most other parts of Canada, for example.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 7th 2014 at 2:06 am.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:44 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We found it more expensive in the UK for summer childcare tbh. The summer camp is $60 a week here, or our childminder has ours for $50 a day (for two)... It was GBP87 a day per child in the UK (nursery). For us, its way more affordable here for childcare at any time than it was back in Blighty
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

When we do the move, my wife will initially be staying at home. Partially due to child care costs and mostly due to wanting to help our 8 year old boy settle in.

The reason it's my wife staying at home, is that I have been offered a job in BC and she hasn't, nothing to do with sex. If she had the job and I didn't, I would be staying at home ( a reason I think she hasn't been looking too hard lol)

Our costs in the UK are £27 per day, for comparison.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many people actually believe that their children are better off with a day care provider than with one of their parents. Family law Judges, from my experience, appear to believe the complete opposite.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:30 pm

I think it depends on the carer, AC. And on the parent.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the carer, AC. And on the parent.
I don't disagree. However, I have never seen a judge make an Order that a child is to be parented by a parent that will place them into day care, if the other parent is at home, all other things being equal. When lawyers attempt to argue against such a position, the Judge will usually deliver the lawyer's head to them on a platter and will make references such as, "... I have attended countless seminars by the leading experts on the subject that lead me to believe that ..."
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:07 pm

ok, not sure what that has to do with this thread, but ok. However you do live in AB... more conservative there.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok, not sure what that has to do with this thread, but ok. However you do live in AB... more conservative there.
The experts are not, necessarily, from AB

Apologies for thread drift

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.