Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child and teenage wellbeing in Canada vs UK

Child and teenage wellbeing in Canada vs UK

Old Nov 14th 2019, 3:45 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child and teenage wellbeing in Canada vs UK

Originally Posted by la3morri
There's got to be some rules surrounding privacy on BE? Should someone not take this down?

I will add that pressures exist in both countries from what I see, but what is different is the openness to counselling and talking about problems has less stigma in canada. You might discuss openly that you are in marriage counselling, or counselling to for depression, to people who you don't know well. There was a counsellor in my small high school in Canada who you could talk to about problems if you needed to and similar at my University. If you wanted to go private, its cheap and accessible and a very normal thing to do.
To your specific question - no, it's all public-domain knowledge, and Carson Crimeni's story has been widely reported in national news media - including the details posted here on his family history.

To the more general points on this thread, I am firmly in the camp of "if you don't have a strong reason to be drawn to Canada, vague notions of 'for the kids' really don't justify the cost and upheaval of a move. Cultural differences in youth behaviour are perhaps overblown in the media, but it's all pretty much a wash in the end. Toronto has more shootings; London more stabbings. Canadian teens are more likely to smoke weed (it's legal here for over-19s) and tend to be a little later in developing a drinking habit. But kids in both countries will drink and do drugs if they are so inclined.

Mental health provision is challenging everywhere: in the NHS and in the provincial systems here (I only have direct experience of Ontario's process, but other provinces are likely vaguely similar) the quality of care is very good, but access to that care is extremely difficult, waiting lists are long, and lack of access to long-term mental health care leads inexorably to greater pressure on crisis or acute care provision. If a kid is struggling, they'd be as likely to succumb to that struggle, or as likely to overcome it with appropriate help, in the UK or in Canada.

I also firmly echo the comments of others who pointed out that relative costs of housing, and the pound-dollar exchange rate, do not favour immigrant Brits these days. When I moved in 2006, we exchanged a 750-sq-ft 2-bed apartment in Chiswick for a 4-bed house on a 50x150ft lot in Oakville, and (mortgage companies notwithstanding) would have got change from the transaction if it had been for cash. In no way could I afford to buy where I now live if I were moving today. That has to be a significant consideration for anybody contemplating a move with a young family, without a very strong pull from the Canadian end.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 11:06 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Apparently it's more involved than being 'over a stolen bicycle' - it appears there had been weeks of bullying and no intervention by the education authority or police. Tragic.

full story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...bing-1.5332475
I read the article. The confrontation over the stolen bicycle was the catalyst for the murder. It sounded like a tough school. Not enough was done by the school administration it seems.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 2:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I read the article. The confrontation over the stolen bicycle was the catalyst for the murder. It sounded like a tough school. Not enough was done by the school administration it seems.
Not that rough an area nor that bad a school, not the best, but not the worst - a relative was a teacher there for a while. It was an ongoing bullying situation over many weeks by a gang of kids, (the police say the bike theft was not by the same perpetrators).

A tragic story, indeed.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 3:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I can wholeheartedly agree with this. We moved from Surrey to Nova Scotia almost 9 years ago and every word here is how I see it too.
Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
I can't offer a London (UK) / Toronto / Vancouver perspective having never lived in those cities, but my overall experience is that youth/teenagers in Canada (or at least the parts of Ontario with which I am familiar) are generally happier, healthier and more respectful than their UK counterparts.

I've never really witnessed the yobbish behaviour to which you alluded since moving to Canada, although I certainly saw it when I lived in the UK, and also again on visits back there. I've often pondered why this difference exists and I think there are few factors.
The most obvious is the deeply-ingrained alcohol culture in the UK and the ease with which younger people can acquire it. Sure, people like a drink in Canada but it's somehow more contained. It's also pretty expensive to get properly pissed, so that might be a factor! As others have said, you are more likely to walk past someone smoking a joint here, and a stoner is hardly likely to pick a fight with you.
Also I have personally found that Canadians are far less belligerent than Brits generally, across the age spectrum. Maybe that's just a cultural difference?
Again, just speaking personally, most Canadians I've met also love their country and what it gives them whereas Brits tend to wear their discontent on their sleeves. Again, this may be somewhat cultural i.e. more superficial than real - but it's better to be around optimists than pessimists!

Of course, wherever you live in "the West", teenagers will be faced with the same pressures, temptations and challenges - and Canada is no different. If your family are outdoors types, then Canada has a lot to offer and this can only aid your mental health. But this would also involve embracing potentially extreme winters (in Ontario) and often buggy, humid summers.
I personally prefer the climate here due to the increased sunshine levels over all the seasons, but I get that it's not for everyone.

It's not a decision you should to take lightly obviously. Work/life balance here still lags behind most of Europe for example, even allowing for both your careers. The golden rule is that the pull always needs to be stronger than the push.

Good luck, whatever you decide.