Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Tax Benefits (CCTB / UCCB) information Please...

Child Tax Benefits (CCTB / UCCB) information Please...

Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Child Tax Benefits (CCTB / UCCB) information Please...

Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out some details about the child benefits I might be entitled in Canada.

I moved from US and established my residency in Canada starting Mar 2006 and my Daugter is 4 yrs old. I was living with a misconception that I could apply Tax related benefits when I file taxes in 2007 (For year 2006) and get all the credits for CCTB / UCCB.

- Do I need to file immediately to get CCTB & UCCB ?
- Isn't it possible to get the credit for the previous unapplied months.

Appreciate your comments.

- Jag.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Child Tax Benefits (CCTB / UCCB) information Please...

Originally Posted by jagz
Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out some details about the child benefits I might be entitled in Canada.

I moved from US and established my residency in Canada starting Mar 2006 and my Daugter is 4 yrs old. I was living with a misconception that I could apply Tax related benefits when I file taxes in 2007 (For year 2006) and get all the credits for CCTB / UCCB.

- Do I need to file immediately to get CCTB & UCCB ?
- Isn't it possible to get the credit for the previous unapplied months.

Appreciate your comments.

- Jag.
As i'm not from America i'm not really sure if its works the same,
But the way it worked for us is that you have to had officially "Landed" in Canada. We landed in June 05 and when we filed our taxes for 05/06 and were automatically told how much we should get from July05 - July06 and yes you will get it back dated from the day you landed. You need to apply to CCTB for an application pack first. When we registered and did our taxes for 06/07 the amount you are due is automatically updated with CCTB and they write to you in June to confirm the amount.

I hope i haven't confused you.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:55 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Again, not sure how it works if you come here from the States, but coming from the UK, we contacted the Canada Revenue Agency with all our family information, calculations about income we had earned in the UK and they worked out what the equivalent earnings in dollars was. Then based the first payments on that. It was back dated from the day we landed. After the first yr, the payments went up as we have earned less in $ this yr as no UK pounds to take into account.

The latest payment here in Alberta (not sure if its Canada wide) is the Universal Child Care Benefit, which is a monthly payment of $100 per child for all children under the age of 6. You have to be registered with the child tax benefit to recieve it. Its supposed to help ALL families out with childcare costs, and started in July. Great for us as our nearly 3 yr old is going to start pre-school in Sept, so it'll pay for that.!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by R2D2
The latest payment here in Alberta (not sure if its Canada wide) is the Universal Child Care Benefit, which is a monthly payment of $100 per child for all children under the age of 6. You have to be registered with the child tax benefit to recieve it. Its supposed to help ALL families out with childcare costs, and started in July. Great for us as our nearly 3 yr old is going to start pre-school in Sept, so it'll pay for that.!
Yes, this is Canada-wide, the Conservative government just introduced it and it took effect in July. As poll72000 said, you have to get an application package. You can find info at:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits/cctb/menu-e.html
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Thanks for your respnose.

Here is how my case goes.

- Landed in Oct 2005, left Canada in a day to resume my US Job.

- Returned back to Canada in Jun 2006, took a Job, License etc.. etc.,

- Do I need to file taxes for year 2005 to get my CCTB from the day I returned (Not landed).

I like now how did people who migrated to Canada in Mid 2006 applied for CCTB? Did CRA asked you to file 2005 tax returns if you didn't live in Canada in 2005.

Many thanks..
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Yes, this is Canada-wide, the Conservative government just introduced it and it took effect in July. As poll72000 said, you have to get an application package. You can find info at:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits/cctb/menu-e.html
Of course, its better than a poke in the eye, but in reality far from $100 a child per month.

Its taxable, so not only will you end up handing back whatever your marginal tax rate is back on it (probably about 40%), but it will also result in a decrease in your CTTB due to increase in your taxable income.

So whereas the liberals would have spent $100 per kid on creating child care places, the conservatives give out about 50-60 bucks per kid per month to pay for childcare places that in many places dont exist.