Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child benefits for UK and Canada

Child benefits for UK and Canada

Old May 4th 2006, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Oofma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child benefits for UK and Canada

We're moving permanently to Canada in the next month or so from the UK.

Our 2 year old daughter is dual nationality (my wife being Canadian).

Does anyone know the situation with regards to Child Benefit (British AND Canadian) once we move.

I am assuming we lose our entitlement to UK benefits, but does my daughter automatically have rights to Canadian benefits?

I know as a spousal immigrant I am personally not entitled to benefits, but surely my daughter as a Canadian is?

If anyone knows please let me know! Thank you!
Old May 4th 2006, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

dkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Child benefits for UK and Canada

Originally Posted by Oofma

Does anyone know the situation with regards to Child Benefit (British AND Canadian) once we move.

I am assuming we lose our entitlement to UK benefits, but does my daughter automatically have rights to Canadian benefits?

I know as a spousal immigrant I am personally not entitled to benefits, but surely my daughter as a Canadian is?

You need to notify the UK Child benefit agency that you are emigrating - entitlement stops either immediately from that date or after 2 weeks (can't remember which). When you arrive you can submit an application for child benefit in Canada - you need SIN number. You will need to give information about income etc. You are entitled to apply as a permanent resident. HTH.

Deborah
Old May 4th 2006, 1:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oofma

In canada its not a benefit in that sense anyway...its more of a tax rebate.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Kai is nearly 4 months now and all I have had so far is a letter in french saying that they were basing the amount on 2004 income. That was middle of March, haven't heard anything since.

Nevermind the drama with the birth certificate. Still don't have that after applying for it on 23rd March. Guaranteed to come in 15 days if you apply online!
Old May 4th 2006, 3:53 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Nevermind the drama with the birth certificate. Still don't have that after applying for it on 23rd March. Guaranteed to come in 15 days if you apply online![/QUOTE]

Hey...I saw that ad on tv. Not sure if restricted to Ontario but you should be able to claim compensation....so the ad says!
Old May 4th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Mans, I tried to, there was a refund form on the site. But I got an e-mail back on Monday saying that because I gave them a bad address, I am not entitled to a refund! I checked and it was the right address. It's purolator's fault, they didn't even knock on the door or leave a notice. They just sent the BC back and it was shredded. It's funny we have never had problems with Fed Ex or UPS always Purolator.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
Kai is nearly 4 months now and all I have had so far is a letter in french saying that they were basing the amount on 2004 income. That was middle of March, haven't heard anything since.

Nevermind the drama with the birth certificate. Still don't have that after applying for it on 23rd March. Guaranteed to come in 15 days if you apply online!
I think they dont start to pay out until July, with backdated payout to day you were eligable, but I might be wrong.

Our B-C came ten days after we applied online in Ontario, but you cant apply for it till the municipality has registered the birth, and sometimes there is a delay there.

We ditched Purolator as our business courier, they became known here as "Puroloser" around here. The number of times they could screw up delivery along 150km of the 401 was unbelievable.

Last edited by iaink; May 4th 2006 at 4:04 pm.
Old May 4th 2006, 4:00 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by babsi
Mans, I tried to, there was a refund form on the site. But I got an e-mail back on Monday saying that because I gave them a bad address, I am not entitled to a refund! I checked and it was the right address. It's purolator's fault, they didn't even knock on the door or leave a notice. They just sent the BC back and it was shredded. It's funny we have never had problems with Fed Ex or UPS always Purolator.
Looks like you are owed compensation for a delay in compensation