Child abuse?

Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child abuse?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Remember the good old days in the 70's when ya mum had to put your tea in the oven to keep warm because you was out with your mates having fun. And when you eventually came home your tea was all dried up, and just warm.?

Well thats my lad now at 15, since we moved to Ajax, he out enjoying his childhood with his mates. No he aint hanging round the offie, or throwing bricks off the flyover, he is at the community skate park, futty field or open air swimming pool.l
Do you live in Hertfordshire?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I found that in Canada, I was much more inclined to beat my children, it just seems so much more the done thing here. Kind of like Britain in the 50s.
I'm surprised you got away with this. Any of the kids in the elementary where my wife worked were well aware of their rights regarding this activity.

Yours must have been extremely naive at the time.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You regularly ask such inane questions without providing your opinion. Why don't you tell us what problems the children will face here that they won't face in the rest of the civilized world?

I watched the film East is East which told the story of a family growing up in a country when at least one parent is from a different culture. The clashing of cultures while it seemed to provide much hilarity it also demonstrated lots of painful incidents as well.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:02 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
Given all the problems they'll face, is it child abuse for British people to bring up their children in Canada?
oink , i have to say you make me chuckle I dont know where in Canada your personal hell hole is, but if i have a house warming party when i get to Canada you are on the top of my invitation list I will introduce you to all my new found Canadian friends and what a laugh we will all have
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
oink , i have to say you make me chuckle I dont know where in Canada your personal hell hole is, but if i have a house warming party when i get to Canada you are on the top of my invitation list I will introduce you to all my new found Canadian friends and what a laugh we will all have

Why would you think this has anything to do with my personal situation? Has it not occurred to you that within that seemingly simplistic question there hides interesting and multifaceted concepts and themes about culturally diverse families emigrating? Maybe contrasting the cultural values and family patterns in British society with that of Canadian culture may be of some use. For instance, there may be differences that shape the nature and course of child-parent attachment. Rather than your pathetic attempt of patronization, I thought it might stimulate questions and dialogue about the effect emigration has on children.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

glennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond repute

I got no kids but will it be classed as animal abuse bringing my pets to canada?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by glennster
I got no kids but will it be classed as animal abuse bringing my pets to canada?
There are weather related issues I suspect. Especially if you live in the eastern part of the country. Heat and humidity in the summer, minus degree temps in winter.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

There are weather related issues I suspect. Especially if you live in the eastern part of the country. Heat and humidity in the summer, minus degree temps in winter.
Plus cultural issues. Many Canadian dogs either live outside all year round and bark incessantly at anything and everything and would eat an abused child at the first opportunity. The other dogs wear clothes and are carried around by owners wearing matching outfits.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:02 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Given all the problems they'll face, is it child abuse for British people to bring up their children in Canada?
I watched the film East is East which told the story of a family growing up in a country when at least one parent is from a different culture. The clashing of cultures while it seemed to provide much hilarity it also demonstrated lots of painful incidents as well.
I simply cannot understand how a movie about a mixed culture marriage/situation, where one partner is from fundamentalist Moslem society with strict religious beliefs/controls, can possibly be compared to a UK family coming to Canada and dealing with normal day to day life. There have been few, if any, posts I can recall where parents here have had problems with their children because the kids are in a deferent "culture", not so with families from non-western societies.
I would posit that on the whole Canadian day to day life for children/young people from UK is virtually unchanged from that they experience in Canada. Same/similar schooling/movies/tv/music/electronic toys and games/clothing etc.
Now for those immigrants from truly different cultures there is certainly culture clashing and there have been a number of instances reported of violence, even deaths as a result. I have not heard of any honor killings of UK children because they fell in love with a Chinese/Indian/Pakistani etc person or had taken to drinking alcohol/conducting themselves inappropriately.
The culture gap between third world countries and the west is wide and in some cases widening but between western countries nothing as noticeable.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

glennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond repute

El richo hilarious ... Mine can be known to bark but at 7lb would struggle to eat a child lol. They do have clothes and can be carried but I haven't managed to find a matching outfit maybe you could help!!!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

My kids much prefer the...ummm "abuse" they've incurred since being here, I mean the constant "where are you from?" or "I LOVE your accent can you say something", sleepovers, camping invites, mainland holiday invites, making dens in the woods, skateboarding, nerf wars, weiners, sea fishing, camps, - you name it they've endured it.

They prefer it much more to the bullying, punches, headlocks, cursing, drinking, swearing and general rotting that they endured where they are originally from.

East to East - think I watched that movie - it was quite shocking as well. No such issues with my two. They're much happier here then they were back in the UK and they came at 10 and 8. In fact we've tested them many times and said "should we go back to the UK" - no way, you can go, I'm staying here hahahahah

(Don't get me wrong - I know it happens all to much here as well - but thankfully my two have not yet come across it!).

Last edited by NatsnSid; Jun 28th 2011 at 8:48 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Trolling aside, check out page 4 of this:
http://www.unicef.ca/portal/Secure/C...S/IRC7/RC7.pdf
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether Auld Yin genuinely has zero sense of humour, or whether there is a clever double play going on here.

I hope, for his sake, it's the latter.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't know whether Auld Yin genuinely has zero sense of humour, or whether there is a clever double play going on here.

I hope, for his sake, it's the latter.
I suspect the former, looking at form.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
My kids much prefer the...ummm "abuse" they've incurred since being here, I mean the constant "where are you from?" or "I LOVE your accent can you say something", sleepovers, camping invites, mainland holiday invites, making dens in the woods, skateboarding, nerf wars, weiners, sea fishing, camps, - you name it they've endured it.

They prefer it much more to the bullying, punches, headlocks, cursing, drinking, swearing and general rotting that they endured where they are originally from.

East to East - think I watched that movie - it was quite shocking as well. No such issues with my two. They're much happier here then they were back in the UK and they came at 10 and 8. In fact we've tested them many times and said "should we go back to the UK" - no way, you can go, I'm staying here hahahahah

(Don't get me wrong - I know it happens all to much here as well - but thankfully my two have not yet come across it!).
I was more interested in the issues children face growing up in Canada but with foreign parents. Granted because in most of Canada English is spoken as a first language its a little easier for UK residents, but there are real differences in culture. Given the propensity for children to be desperate to fit in with the local culture and parents from another, issues must arise. I've met some adults who grew up in precisely that situation and found the clash of cultures between home-life and the wider society to cause many problems later in life. Many have become drug addicts and or alcoholics and many have also over-compensated with their children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.