Reload this Page >

Chicago to Vancouver

Chicago to Vancouver

Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Blofeld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago to Vancouver

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to move from Chicago to Vancouver in a few months time (I'm a British expat, recently a US citizen too). Prospective employer is handling all the immigration paperwork. I have searched the Canada forum for answers to my questions but can't find precisely what I'm looking for. Hoping that some of you may be able to help?

From what I have read many are rather down on Vancouver and its suburbs. Why is this? I would imagine it's rather like Chicago, some good areas some not so good (65 people shot just last weekend). For a family with school age children where are good areas to look? My future boss lives in Surrey, but there is a lot of conflicting opinion on Surrey. I don't mind a commute, and want good schools first.

I own 2 cars in the US. One is a 2011, one a 2012. Can I take them with me without having to pay massive import duties? If so I may as well sell them and buy new ones in Canada.

I plan on renting first for a year and then buying a house. Is it possible for a new immigrant to get a mortgage?

Thanks everyone!!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago to Vancouver

Originally Posted by Blofeld
Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to move from Chicago to Vancouver in a few months time (I'm a British expat, recently a US citizen too). Prospective employer is handling all the immigration paperwork. I have searched the Canada forum for answers to my questions but can't find precisely what I'm looking for. Hoping that some of you may be able to help?

From what I have read many are rather down on Vancouver and its suburbs. Why is this? I would imagine it's rather like Chicago, some good areas some not so good (65 people shot just last weekend). For a family with school age children where are good areas to look? My future boss lives in Surrey, but there is a lot of conflicting opinion on Surrey. I don't mind a commute, and want good schools first.

I own 2 cars in the US. One is a 2011, one a 2012. Can I take them with me without having to pay massive import duties? If so I may as well sell them and buy new ones in Canada.

I plan on renting first for a year and then buying a house. Is it possible for a new immigrant to get a mortgage?

Thanks everyone!!
Importing cars from the US is done everyday. Very easy in most cases, no duty for a new immigrant. You may have to pay Provincial Sales Tax when registering the vehicle in BC though.

It is often folks who are down on a place who write bad reviews, those who like the place are often having too much fun to write about a place unless asked.

I would sooner live in Vancouver than Chicago. As you say there are good an not so good areas, but there are not any 'no go' areas I know of.

Getting a mortgage is no problem for many if you have a down payment and income to support it.

If you can afford it and want to be near downtown, Kitsilano, Southlands, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Point Grey.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im assuming you will be coming in as an Intra Co Transferee as an Executive or Senior Manager or have specialized knowledge. You won't have to pay import taxes on your vehicles but will have to register them.

Read this link as you will be classed under this initially
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-1-1-eng.html

If you are only coming in temporarily i.e. not applying for PR status after you arrive then IMHO buying a house is not the way to go Id rent but if applying for PR status then consider purchasing later once you find a suitable area.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Importing cars from the US is done everyday. Very easy in most cases, no duty for a new immigrant. You may have to pay Provincial Sales Tax when registering the vehicle in BC though.

It is often folks who are down on a place who write bad reviews, those who like the place are often having too much fun to write about a place unless asked.

I would sooner live in Vancouver than Chicago. As you say there are good an not so good areas, but there are not any 'no go' areas I know of.

Getting a mortgage is no problem for many if you have a down payment and income to support it.

If you can afford it and want to be near downtown, Kitsilano, Southlands, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Point Grey.
Thanks Aviator for your reply. I will look into the areas you mention. I'm not so sure I want to be near downtown, I lived in central London then Los Angeles for many years, and want a slightly quieter and slower pace of life, but to be able to access downtown when i want.

On another note, you are obviously an aviation enthusiast? Me too-I fly gliders for fun. Are there any gliding/soaring clubs in or near Vancouver?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im assuming you will be coming in as an Intra Co Transferee as an Executive or Senior Manager or have specialized knowledge. You won't have to pay import taxes on your vehicles but will have to register them.

Read this link as you will be classed under this initially
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-1-1-eng.html

If you are only coming in temporarily i.e. not applying for PR status after you arrive then IMHO buying a house is not the way to go Id rent but if applying for PR status then consider purchasing later once you find a suitable area.
I will be coming as a senior medical scientist. I believe I will get a TWP at first, but we would like to settle permanently in Canada. How long does it take to become a PR?

Thanks for the housing advice-i think we'll rent for a few years and find just the right area.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I will be coming as a senior medical scientist. I believe I will get a TWP at first, but we would like to settle permanently in Canada. How long does it take to become a PR?

Thanks for the housing advice-i think we'll rent for a few years and find just the right area.
Without knowing which PR stream you would apply under then its hard to say.
Is your employer applying for a Labour Market Opinion or are you applying under the FSW programme or being nominated under the PNP programme?
All streams have different processing times.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is nothing like Chicago. While it has some social issues, they pale in comparison to Chicago. Vancouver is a quiet, calm and attractive [north American standards] city with pleasant enough weather, Chicago is not. The only benefits Chicago has over Vancouver, would be the university [U of C], restaurant food and internet shopping.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 27th 2014 at 6:20 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aviator for your reply. I will look into the areas you mention. I'm not so sure I want to be near downtown, I lived in central London then Los Angeles for many years, and want a slightly quieter and slower pace of life, but to be able to access downtown when i want.

On another note, you are obviously an aviation enthusiast? Me too-I fly gliders for fun. Are there any gliding/soaring clubs in or near Vancouver?
Hope has a soaring club that'll be your closest to Vancouver (about a 2 hour drive out of Vancouver).
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is a nice city, pricey but not sure how it compares to Chicago. Transit is decent, but not as good as say Chicago would be. Traffic can be miserable at times as there is no real Hwy system in Vancouver, so you will be on surface streets much of the time, and the main arteries can block pretty bad in rush hour. But doubtful its as bad as Chicago in rush hour.

No real no go area in Vancouver, worst area in Vancouver is the Downtown East Side, and its not even what I'd call bad, I used to transfer on transit down there all the time to/from home, and nobody bothers you, some colorful and interesting characters and drug use, but its not an area you have to fear or go out of your way to avoid, just isn't a pleasing area to the eye.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver's population is a fraction of the size as London and LA. Unlike London or LA, you can live in a very quiet neighbourhood with a slower pace of life, and only be a 20 minute drive from downtown Vancouver. Most people, who are used to living in larger metropolises, notice that Vancouver's noticeably quieter, and that you really don't need to live 45 minutes or an hour outside of Vancouver to escape the city environment. Vancouver prides itself on its close proximity to nature and wilderness. I suppose what I'm saying is that you can't take your experiences of LA, London, or even Chicago, and apply them to Vancouver. Vancouver's more akin to San Francisco in that way. People live in downtown, because they can escape into wilderness 20 minutes away. If you're renting, rent in Kitsilano, Commercial Drive, Riley Park, Mount Pleasant, West Point Grey, or North Vancouver's Lower Lonsdale or Deep Cove. I would not recommend renting further out in the suburbs unless you want hours of time wasted in useless and unnecessary commutes.