Just Joined

ARROW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chestermere Alberta

HI
We have looked at several towns around calgary
area . we have decided to live in chestermere
hope we have made right decision. we are hopeing
home will be ready in july/august . nine months later
than they told us. anyone any veiws on chestermere?
thanks
keith
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice
Default Re: Chestermere Alberta

hi,
we are in the process of emigrating to Calgary ourselves. We have been looking around at the smaller towns outside Calgary, had a quick look at Chestermere and we liked it. Might be a good idea to PM Judie from Calgary, gave us loads of info.

When are you planning on moving?

We are going for a holiday/research trip for two weeks in July/Aug, so might see you over there?

Cheers, best of luck.
Carl
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:40 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I have mentioned this before in previous threads. I really liked the look of Chestermere, but ruled it out for the main reason that the community is really growing too fast for it's amenities in my opinion. I was mostly concerned about the high school as my son was 14 when we arrived.
Here's a link to what wiki has to say about Chestermere ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestermere,_Alberta

especially this: "The town reported a population of 7,904 in 2005, with a projection of more than 10,000 expected in 2006." (and it's the fastest growing community around Calgary, I think I read recently).

All the new build communities are really some distance from the lake itself and packed like sardines to my mind. Prices are high, and rising, and I can't see that one high school is really enough. I also looked at some quotes from students there, and they seemed a pretty miserable bunch, by and large. A Calgarian warned me that the school had "had some problems" and wouldn't elaborate, and I found out a boy had died there in a fight some years ago ... though I believe that to be a more of a tragic accident rather than an act of deliberate or ongoing maliciousness.

If it was just "him indoors" and me, with no kids to worry about, and we could afford one of those delightful waterfront properties, we'd probably be there now!

..... except of course that it is that much further from our mountains!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

HI CARL
Will be going out to calgary again soon .
my OH his already there i am left here to deal
with house sale very near to exchange of contracts
fingers crossed. i am in uk till october do to work contract
when house sold will move into flat till october.
my OH went over in august stayed with family
now renting condo in chestermere 1325 doll a month
we brought a house of jager homes in nov 05 they said
it would be ready oct 06 . they started to dig feb07 now
saying ready for aug 07 . so be aware everyone so much
building work going on.
tc
hope it goes well
keith
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I have mentioned this before in previous threads. I really liked the look of Chestermere, but ruled it out for the main reason that the community is really growing too fast for it's amenities in my opinion. I was mostly concerned about the high school as my son was 14 when we arrived.
Here's a link to what wiki has to say about Chestermere ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestermere,_Alberta

especially this: "The town reported a population of 7,904 in 2005, with a projection of more than 10,000 expected in 2006." (and it's the fastest growing community around Calgary, I think I read recently).

All the new build communities are really some distance from the lake itself and packed like sardines to my mind. Prices are high, and rising, and I can't see that one high school is really enough. I also looked at some quotes from students there, and they seemed a pretty miserable bunch, by and large. A Calgarian warned me that the school had "had some problems" and wouldn't elaborate, and I found out a boy had died there in a fight some years ago ... though I believe that to be a more of a tragic accident rather than an act of deliberate or ongoing maliciousness.

If it was just "him indoors" and me, with no kids to worry about, and we could afford one of those delightful waterfront properties, we'd probably be there now!

..... except of course that it is that much further from our mountains!
What she said plus.........

We were speaking to a school teacher recently who teaches in Chestermere. He said that teenagers there have little to do with scant transportation to get them anywhere. As a result, he said that there is a large drug problem within the community.

We nearly moved there, after hearing this we are really glad we didn't
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:54 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ARROW
HI
We have looked at several towns around calgary
area . we have decided to live in chestermere
hope we have made right decision. we are hopeing
home will be ready in july/august . nine months later
than they told us. anyone any veiws on chestermere?
thanks
keith

Chestermere is a beautiful little town, but is growing very fast. The location just east of Calgary and nice commuter distance is driving the house prices up(and in Calgary and area they are already get high) so just be aware of your budget before you decide where you live
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:01 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Keith,

I don't know if you even have kids, or what their ages might be, but I'd think that you wouldn't have to worry until they were teenagers.

We didn't feel it'd work for our teenagers anyway, but I'm sure it'd be a gorgeous place for younger kids to grow, ..... and anyway, you can always sell up if and when you need to move, and probably make a huge profit as well!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Hi all
Thanks everyone
Have 2 boys age 10 a 12 they have settled ok
had no problems with middle school so far.
yes the area his growing fast. another school his on
the plans for rainbow falls area. the town need to be
looking to get a swimming pool a library etc
yes i could sell today a make a lot of profit
has i said earlier we looked at airdrie a cockrane a
we chose chestermere 0H likes it.
its not been easy for her with me still in uk .
good luck
keith