Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheshire is closed!

Cheshire is closed!

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:05 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cheshire is closed!

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
I live in Chester and a normal drive towork takes me 10 minutes , today it took 55 minutes, by 1pm all the snow had gone!!
Mad or what
Aawww.............I miss Chester. Spent many a nice day there over the years.! (Don't miss the crowds when shopping though, or the parking charges !!!)
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:12 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

A couple of flakes in the UK and its "Arctic Chaos!"

At Christmas, our local council (who ironcially train most of the other councils in winter road management) only sent gritters out after the roads became impassable, gritted them again when it rained and are now nowhere to be seen...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
I live in Chester and a normal drive towork takes me 10 minutes , today it took 55 minutes, by 1pm all the snow had gone!!
Mad or what

Quite a few schools closed today in Cheshire. If we get anymore overnight I bet Tony Bliar will have to appoint a minister for snow and convene a special cabinet meeting to discuss the crisis!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:21 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gray C
Quite a few schools closed today in Cheshire. If we get anymore overnight I bet Tony Bliar will have to appoint a minister for snow and convene a special cabinet meeting to discuss the crisis!
I take it thats a DELIBERATE spelling mistake ( Mr Blair )
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R2D2
I take it thats a DELIBERATE spelling mistake ( Mr Blair )
No mistake
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Addy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant future

It does seem unreal that the county with the only rock salt mine in the UK, has ground to a halt , took a friend of ours 3 1/2 hours to get from Crewe to Wrexham this morning, must be all of 25 miles!!

But to be fair, we don't gear ourselves up for snow in Cheshire cos we don't get it that often, i think this is only the second time in the last seven years that we've had this sort of snowfall, and looking out of the window now at midnight, find that it has all disappeared.

It's different in Canada, you'd expect snow fall of significant quantities and expect it to last weeks, if not months, so you folks prepare yourselves for it.

What the point of buying snowploughs only to roll them once every few years?

I like the British weather, atleast we don't get our roofs blown off by hurricanes and dumped 20 miles away!!!!!

Moderation in everything, thats what i'd call our weather.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:41 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addy
It's different in Canada, you'd expect snow fall of significant quantities and expect it to last weeks, if not months, so you folks prepare yourselves for it.

What the point of buying snowploughs only to roll them once every few years?
Yep, facts. During inclement weather the UK should issue a total driving ban esp for old ladies, people who wear hats in cars, novices, Vauxhall Nova drivers etc. Keep the loons off the road. Even in the worst conditions, people still travel 100 miles to visit Aunt Nora for a cuppa tea and a hob nob then complain when they get stranded, run off the road and have to claim on insurance.

Rich.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:51 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addy

err.... you haven't been to Calgary then?

The first day we had snow here, last week, about 5 cm, there were 160 reported traffic accidents in the city, and the the next day on the radio some guy was complaining about the cost of clearing all the snow!

I really thought they'd be better at it!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheshire is at a standstill because of a bit of snow. Chaos on the roads. Naturally, I suppose the same would happen in Canada with an inch of snow underfoot.
Car all frozen and the garden is all white with frost. I guess Cheshire will be open today. Maybe the crisis is over for today at least
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R2D2
Ahhhh bless...................Good old Cheshire. My home county too. Heres what has just been dumped on us in Sherwood Park, Alberta.

Its beautiful light fluffy snow............not the icy stuff you get back home .....yet !!
Very pretty...but unimaginable to me now - and I haven't the clothes for that sort of weather now.
It is 34 C here ...and it's gone 7 in the evening !

My parents are near Congleton....will someone pop in to see if they want any shopping done please ?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:55 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Very pretty...but unimaginable to me now - and I haven't the clothes for that sort of weather now.
It is 34 C here ...and it's gone 7 in the evening !

My parents are near Congleton....will someone pop in to see if they want any shopping done please ?
You must be in Victoria, Australia then and not Victoria, British Columbia
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

As a contrast to the snow issue. Is it true that they are already considering a hosepipe ban in Kent?

Sarah
Powell River, BC
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:52 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Yep, facts. During inclement weather the UK should issue a total driving ban esp for old ladies, people who wear hats in cars, novices, Vauxhall Nova drivers etc. Keep the loons off the road. Even in the worst conditions, people still travel 100 miles to visit Aunt Nora for a cuppa tea and a hob nob then complain when they get stranded, run off the road and have to claim on insurance.

Rich.
This may surprise you but a large number of Canadians are also capable of driving like cretins in bad weather. You'd think they'd know better. We went down to Ottawa last Saturday. It's a short trip - about 15 minutes - on a major, well maintained highway. The weather was bad. Blowing snow, almost a blizzard. People were still driving at 120km. Except for the half dozen cars we passed that were no longer going anywhere soon.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Addy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SarahBC
As a contrast to the snow issue. Is it true that they are already considering a hosepipe ban in Kent?

Sarah
Powell River, BC

Hosepipe bans, forced water meter installations.

Just as well they all drink Shandy down south, so a water shortage shouldn't affect them
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Car all frozen and the garden is all white with frost. I guess Cheshire will be open today. Maybe the crisis is over for today at least

It is snowing again here. Not much yet, but watch this space.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.