Reload this Page >

Cheering the "girls" on!

Cheering the "girls" on!

Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cheering the "girls" on!

Originally Posted by Hangman
There is no limit to the number of players that can be in the penalty box at any one time. However there is a limit on the minimum number of players that can be on the ice. Normally there are six players per team on the ice the goal keeper and five skaters. The minimum number of players on the ice is four, the goal keeper and three skaters.

So if there are three or more in the penalty box the start of the timing of the penalties for the third man and later men into the box is delayed until one or more of the other penalties has expired. It can get a little confusing.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I do understand (I think) and this could have partially been the reason we lost yesterday!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:22 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
Thanks Steve. I do understand (I think) and this could have partially been the reason we lost yesterday!

Penalties can be an interesting view of the game. Sounds strange but it's true.

If the Goalie takes a penalty then the coach has to pick one of the skaters who was on the ice at the time the penalty was called to serve the goalies penalty. So of the five skaters on the ice at that time he will usually choose who he thinks he will need the least in order to kill the penalty.

If there is a bench minor called for say too many men on the ice, then the coach gets to pick any player he wants (from his own team of course) to serve that penalty time. Usually the weakest player on the team in the coach's mind. In major junior hockey it is usually one of the sixteen year olds who get very little ice time anyway. So it tells the player quite clearly where he ranks in the pecking order.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Penalties can be an interesting view of the game. Sounds strange but it's true.

If the Goalie takes a penalty then the coach has to pick one of the skaters who was on the ice at the time the penalty was called to serve the goalies penalty. So of the five skaters on the ice at that time he will usually choose who he thinks he will need the least in order to kill the penalty.

If there is a bench minor called for say too many men on the ice, then the coach gets to pick any player he wants (from his own team of course) to serve that penalty time. Usually the weakest player on the team in the coach's mind. In major junior hockey it is usually one of the sixteen year olds who get very little ice time anyway. So it tells the player quite clearly where he ranks in the pecking order.

Jeez..no wonder Im not a full-time hockey fan!

Let's hope the boys do better against finland today!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:28 am

Jeez..no wonder Im not a full-time hockey fan!

Let's hope the boys do better against finland today!
2-0 Finland in the first period.

Team Canada playing like sh*te.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

2-0 Finland in the first period.

Team Canada playing like sh*te.
I know - I really think the men need a few tips from the girls - they're our only hope for gold in hockey!

Karma sent for your help!

Last edited by willmore; Feb 19th 2006 at 7:41 am.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well the boys blew it again!

Dont forget to watch the girls play for gold against sweden tomorrow at 11:30amPT.

It will be a really good game!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:05 am

Well the boys blew it again!
More proof of the of the equity in the mens game.

Thanks for the Karma by the way. I tried to return the favour but it said I have to spread it around more before I can give you any more.

I kinda thought I was spreading it pretty thick as it was, but I guess they meant the Karma.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

More proof of the of the equity in the mens game.

Thanks for the Karma by the way. I tried to return the favour but it said I have to spread it around more before I can give you any more.

I kinda thought I was spreading it pretty thick as it was, but I guess they meant the Karma.
I dont understand what you mean about equity - the number of penalties compared to the girls?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:21 am

I dont understand what you mean about equity - the number of penalties compared to the girls?
I mean on paper the teams are far more equal.

The penalties could well be an indicator of this, if the team is equal or better than you then you are forced to take more penalties in an attempt to stop or slow them down.

It is also an indicator of the fact that the women by and large play by the same rules all the time, whereas the men usually play by NHL rules (or lack of same) and now have to play by international rules which are much less forgiving and therefor have to adjust which it seem they are having difficulty doing. This is really no excuse, as most of the players for the other teams in the mens competition also play in the NHL and they seem to have adapted quite nicely.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I mean on paper the teams are far more equal.

The penalties could well be an indicator of this, if the team is equal or better than you then you are forced to take more penalties in an attempt to stop or slow them down.

It is also an indicator of the fact that the women by and large play by the same rules all the time, whereas the men usually play by NHL rules (or lack of same) and now have to play by international rules which are much less forgiving and therefor have to adjust which it seem they are having difficulty doing. This is really no excuse, as most of the players for the other teams in the mens competition also play in the NHL and they seem to have adapted quite nicely.
Thanks for taking the time to explain - you've answered alot of my questions!