Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cheapest way to get 104 yr old onto skype?

cheapest way to get 104 yr old onto skype?

Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default cheapest way to get 104 yr old onto skype?

Our departure is finally getting close, so my thoughts are turning to the details, one of which is how we can get my OH's 104 yr old grandad on to skype!
This isn't as daft as it sounds - he still lives on his own, and is still very mentally sharp. I suggested the idea to him when we saw him at Xmas and he seemed quite keen. However, obviously this is not an easy thing to sort out. I'm hoping one of his neighbours has wi-fi that he can use on the rare occasions he uses it, but the main issue is the technology. My OH's aunt goes to see him regularly, and despite being over 70 herself is quite tech savvy, so she could be on hand to set things up.

I was thinking the best option might be a tablet. Something as cheap as possible, as it's going to be used for nothing but Skype. Does anyone have any experience of sorting this type of thing out with friends/family, particularly older relatives?? I'd really love to make it work - grandad emigrated to Canada himself in 1928, but although his brothers stayed out there he had to come back to look after family affairs at home. (He can still remember all this vividly, he's told some great stories!) So anyway I'd *love*to get him closer to the emigration process than just letters and photos.... I'd love to be able to show him where we live etc.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:06 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheapest way to get 104 yr old onto skype?

A netbook might be a cheaper option and most have a camera built in.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:41 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The simple way, but not cheapest, would be to use Blackberry Playbooks. The Playbooks has a PIN code and if you input one into the other, then the thing will call up the second book, as long as you have wifi. Both have front facing cameras for video to video calls.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

How about just a smartphone?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:26 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

How about a kindle fire? £129, light, portable and easy to set up
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I would just get a Skype Phone. These things look and feel just like a regular phone, but connect to Skype via wireless internet.

A concept that will be much more familiar to an 104yo than a tablet or Kindle.

Just Google for 'skype phone'. Skype has a few for sale through their website.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

We got my 80 year old Mother in Law a Skype Phone for Christmas. We had a family member set it up for her and she uses that just fine, and she's a complete technophobe!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the suggestions everyone

the blackberry playbook looks interesting, but it's a bit of an outlay to buy 2!

the netbook sounds possible, I hadn't thought about that.... good point about the camera being built in.

A smartphone isn't really feasible - the screen is small and the buttons would be too fiddly, plus it would be quite expensive to buy a decent one on pay as you go - net connection could be pricey.

Kindle fire... didn't consider that either! The screen's a wee bit small, but it's quite a good price.

The skype phone... if it's just like a regular phone then it's not really what I'm after. I don't mind setting up a skype account to get cheap UK calls and use that, it was really the idea of being able to show him, in real time, where we live and what it's like. So something video rather than phone-based!

I did a bit of googling and there seem to be a lot of very cheap android tablets out there, but I guess you probably get what you pay for?
http://www.game.co.uk/en/busbi-7-mob...ue1=4294963444

http://www.game.co.uk/en/dgm-t-909-t...ue1=4294963444

I guess I'm going to have to take the plunge and talk to some sales people!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:15 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Having used a playbook for the last six months to talk to my son in the UK i have found it to be easy peesy lemon squeezy. We just press call and we chat while he cooks tea or is watching TV, my OH even watched that im a has bean get me outa here jungle garbage via her Playbook pointing at the UK TV...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-P.../dp/B004UL34EY
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
it was really the idea of being able to show him, in real time, where we live and what it's like. So something video rather than phone-based!
This won't happen without somebody else 'driving' the device, unless the 104yo in question has Einstein-like abilities.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
This won't happen without somebody else 'driving' the device, unless the 104yo in question has Einstein-like abilities.
hehe no he definitely wouldn't be operating it on his own! My OH's aunt is fairly tech-savvy and spends a lot of time with her dad (OH's grandad) so she'd be the one setting it up
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

alfiee is an unknown quantity at this point

I help out with a computer course at the local library and find that some older people just don't have the feeling in their finger tips to use touch screen effectively. They can ofcourse use the pen but I think a netbook would be better for this and so simple to do
Old Dec 31st 2012, 3:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

How is his hearing? Does he use the phone much anyway?
Old Jan 1st 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

You do not need 'Wi-Fi' do gain access to your skype account, 3G will do!

For example, I have a Nokia E51, to which I added the s60 Symbian version of Skype. My service provider does not block the access to Skype, (some other providers do)...

I top up my PAYG credit at 20quid a month and for this I get not only the 20quid credit, but also unlimited data for the next 30 days.
If I want to call someone in another country via Skype, I just launch Skype on my E51, log in, select contact, call...voila!!!, via a 3G connection...(or wi-fi if there's one around).

If I wish to use Skype via my computer, then that's fine too because I have the computer synced to the phone via bluetooth...therefore the free data I get with he 20quid top-up is usable not only for the Skype installed on my computer but also to browse the web via the computer...which is exactly what I'm doing at this moment. Thus I have eliminated the extra 25quid per month I was paying for PAYG internet access via my usb dongle.

And the Nokia E51 isn't even a smartphone!!, go on, laugh at me you iphone muppets!, this won't work with your 'alleged' smartphone because it will allow your provider to know you're breaking the T&Cs

Last edited by Gazman; Jan 1st 2013 at 5:29 pm. Reason: bit more...