Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Charvers, Chavs, Neds, Scum!

Charvers, Chavs, Neds, Scum!

Old May 16th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charvers, Chavs, Neds, Scum!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
..... the first being such an issue that I am still stunned that the UK doesn't have curfews for under 18s! (as we are discussing in the USA thread)
Because law abiding people have a right to go about their business unmolested by prejudice from the baying morons that clamour for politicians to "do something"? Could that have something to do with it?

Actually, no. It's the much-abused Human Rights Act that has restrained the little Hitlers in the UK from bullying people who can get married, drive a car, but somehow are not deemed responsible enough to be out after a Government-decreed bed time.

K.
Old May 16th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

This is pretty vast - and somewhat vaccuous in places.
D'you know what? From an early age children today are being bombarded with the MTV quick fix, the Playstation couch potato lifestyle, the lack of adequate parental supervision but the biggest, single problem of all, IMHO, the ability to read from an early age. Yes, that's right - simple education.

Without reading there is a lack of understanding; without understanding there is frustration which quickly leads to boredom and then lack of enthusiasm followed by lack of achievement. Don't even get me started on that thread because the amount of spoon :scared: -feeding the kids get at schools these days is frightening.

Also, so many parents have such busy lives that they are spending less and less time with their kids preferring to let them entertain themselves ad infinitum. Kids with TVs, DVDs, Playstations, microwaves, fridges(!) etc in their rooms? What the hell is that about? TV dinners and out all hours God knows where? It's not just a UK thing, of course, more of a generational thing which ultimately leads to the same lack of commitment and enthusiasm in their relationships as they get older - and then turn into their parents before them. And so the generations develop. It's not wonder the divorce rate is so high when the smallest issue results in a bag-packing with all the responsibilties of parenthood left firmly at the door. OK so it's a bit of tarnishing brush I'm using here, but you hopefully get my drift?

Kids don't respect anyone or anything only when they see little or none of it in their own daily lives, families and circumstances. Do something to their environment and it's a start. If you knew the number of kids I teach who see their own parents smoking dope indoors, or allowing them to stay up all night watching all manner of unsuitable material, it's no wonder the west is in such a mess.

I know, I know, I know a lot of this is vague generalisation, but it is so close to reality, it's frightening.

Come on then. Shout me down.

Sid
Old May 16th 2006, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Rockchick is an unknown quantity at this point

From an early age children today are being bombarded with the MTV quick fix, the Playstation couch potato lifestyle, the lack of adequate parental supervision but the biggest, single problem of all, IMHO, the ability to read from an early age. Yes, that's right - simple education.

Also, so many parents have such busy lives that they are spending less and less time with their kids preferring to let them entertain themselves ad infinitum. Kids with TVs, DVDs, Playstations, microwaves, fridges(!) etc in their rooms? What the hell is that about? TV dinners and out all hours God knows where?

Kids don't respect anyone or anything only when they see little or none of it in their own daily lives, families and circumstances.

There are so many points on this thread that make total sense, I was afraid that I was on my own in thinking that the majority of kids have no respect for anyone or anything. My children (8 and 6) are only allowed to play in the back garden (which is very small) and yet I see children as young as 3 or 4 playing in the streets and wandering up to the park (which is just behind our house) on their own. Do parents just not care any more?

I've seen teenagers be mean to the younger kids and chase them away from their own park as if they have a God given right to be there, I'm afraid to even make eye contact with them sometimes because you just don't know how they will react to you, and the scooters and mini motorbikes drive me nuts! The kids that drive them have no sense, they drive them on the pavements and shoot out of junctions without even looking. If you dare say anything to them or their parents you generally get a mouthfull of abuse.

Whatever happened to families sitting around the dinner table together, playing board games and reading together? My kids have TV's and DVD players in their bedrooms but they are strictly limited on the amount of time they are allowed to watch them. They both love the XBOX but even when they play that it generally turns into a family thing. It doesn't take a lot of effort to entertain your kids if you really want to spend time with them.

Claire
Old May 16th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Also the Chavs here in Mtl drive Honda Civics, which always makes me laugh, knowing that these are generally "old granny" cars in the UK.
OR what about the Chrysler NEon with Racing Car spoiler, 4 exhausts and flames down the side, maybe even worse than a chaved up Vauxhall Nova in the UK

Jonathan
Old May 16th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Knew I wasn't alone on this. Everyone knows what is wrong, but just doesn't know how to tackle the issue. It's because there are so many underlying issues here and that's the problem. Good parenting is about teaching good social skills and respecting boundaries. No boundaries, no respect.

You're right about the dinner table thing, too. Far too many TV dinners going on in my opinion. Nothing wrong with TV at all, but in moderation. Look at the obesity rates among British kids now! What happened to proper, outdoor fun instead of hanging around with nothing to do except look mean 'n' moody. Not all kids who do this are actually looking for trouble, but parents, councils, communities (there's a word you don't hear much anymore) need to give kids DIRECTION! Sadly, too few role models around, too.

Oh well ...
Sid
Old May 16th 2006, 12:50 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many points on this thread that make total sense, I was afraid that I was on my own in thinking that the majority of kids have no respect for anyone or anything. My children (8 and 6) are only allowed to play in the back garden (which is very small) and yet I see children as young as 3 or 4 playing in the streets and wandering up to the park (which is just behind our house) on their own. Do parents just not care any more?
Claire[/QUOTE]

I think you hit on a very valid point, that a lot of the problems with the kids/chavs, call them what you like, that are down to parenting or lack of it, not just in this country but where ever you live, too many parents seem to want their kids off their hands as young as possible. HWP raised a good point, about no one being an angel (God if i think of some of the things we done when we were younger !)but the difference is we had respect for our parents (well most of us did!) and if i got caught out by a neighbour up to no-good, i knew that my father would be told and heaven help me when i got home! As some of the OP have said you can move to escape the chavs but they do catch up with you sooner or later, i live in what is considered a 'nice' area but over the last 18mths or so the problems are creeping in, i really think it is society in general, all you can do is keep your family unit tight and bring up your kids with a good attitude and respect.
Old May 16th 2006, 2:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
Because law abiding people have a right to go about their business unmolested by prejudice from the baying morons that clamour for politicians to "do something"? Could that have something to do with it?

Actually, no. It's the much-abused Human Rights Act that has restrained the little Hitlers in the UK from bullying people who can get married, drive a car, but somehow are not deemed responsible enough to be out after a Government-decreed bed time.
IIRC you still need your parents' permission to marry if you are under 18 -- is that still the case? You can't drink alcohol at pubs either unless you are 18.

I'm all for a universal age for gaining these rights and responsibilities, but what business does a 15-year-old have out on the streets late at night?
Old May 16th 2006, 2:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You can't drink alcohol at pubs either unless you are 18.
Yeah, right
Old May 16th 2006, 4:13 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

My kids do not have Playstation. I threw it out after months of dreadful behaviour from the boys after playing it. The younger kids are not allowed to play away from the back garden. The elder boy has to check in every hour and tell me where he is on the sub division and with whom, in general terms. They are not allowed to go into other people's houses without checking with me first. My sixteen year old is an A Honours student, doesn't do drugs, has the odd beer with me occasionally and is a good kid. They all say please and thank you. They are respectful to a degree of most adults. We sit around the table most nights for a meal. We even go to church on occasion..haven't been struck down by a bolt of lightning yet so I keep pushing it. However...my twelve year old would give any other little s*** a run for his money and the six year old is like any other six year old. When he has been playing with certain kids at school... :scared: his manners fly out the window. Everything you do at home has to be reinforced over and over otherwise it is often undone at when they are out with other kids or at school. Other parents are also the worst culprits - I had one call me at home last Friday asking why my twelve year was not allowed to go with them for a camping trip. They thought I was being "picky" because I don't know them. Actually I knew more about them they could ever imagine, but politely told them to mind their own business and stated that he was my son, it was my decision and he would not be going with them. Kids are bloody hard work, but all you can do is your best in the full knowledge that it will be not good enough for some and OTT for others.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for a universal age for gaining these rights and responsibilities, but what business does a 15-year-old have out on the streets late at night?
Coming back from a trip to London to see an exhibition? Or maybe walking back from badminton club after a league game? Or maybe coming home after seeing a movie? Or maybe coming back after appearing in a stage play?

There are thousands of legitimate things that 15-year olds can be doing late at night. It's none of your business, or my business, or the police's business or the Government's business to tell a 15-year old he can't do these things.

If you recall, in 2005 a 15-year-old won his case (under the Human Rights Act) against the police for imposing curfew orders that would have prevented him going to band practice. The judge agrees with me and disagrees with you (and David Blunkett).

K.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

ernest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wearsider
This is the main reason that I am leaving England. Is it the same for you?
Most hated and scariest term used in the UK(WHAT YOU LOOKING AT) the wrong reply can be disastrous!
Old May 16th 2006, 5:40 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Originally Posted by dingbat
My kids do not have Playstation. I threw it out after months of dreadful behaviour from the boys after playing it.
Could you tell me where you threw it... I was just about to go out and buy one for myself!
Old May 16th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
If you recall, in 2005 a 15-year-old won his case (under the Human Rights Act) against the police for imposing curfew orders that would have prevented him going to band practice. The judge agrees with me and disagrees with you (and David Blunkett).

K.
Don't actually recall this but surely if the 15 year old in question was under curfew he must have done something to deserve it. People don't get a curfew for nothing.

The curfew would have been a punishment aswel as a preventative measure. I suppose then that it is ok for someones prison sentence to be overturned due to it interfering with their social activities.
Old May 16th 2006, 6:22 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Don't actually recall this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4699095.stm
Old May 16th 2006, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Don't actually recall this but surely if the 15 year old in question was under curfew he must have done something to deserve it. People don't get a curfew for nothing.

The curfew would have been a punishment aswel as a preventative measure. I suppose then that it is ok for someones prison sentence to be overturned due to it interfering with their social activities.
He wasn't under curfew - the police thought they had a right to remove him when they didn't - that's what caused the problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.