Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

character reference problem

character reference problem

Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

jamesrobert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default character reference problem

Okay, I am due to send off all of my forms for the bunac visa, however, I just got word today that my most recent employer (zavvi) have closed the store I worked for. My character reference is from the manager of that store. The letter has both the work number and his mobile phone number. Will the CIC still accept this? If they need to contact him they can still get a hold of him via his mobile, so should that be okay?

Also, my manager typed up the reference letter on the computer at work and signed it and dated it etc etc. There is no letter heading of the company however, since the company don't have their own paper with the company logo and whathaveyou. Will this be acceptable? I read that the reference letter may need to have the company logo or is this irrelevant and as long as there are contact details it will be fine?

Thank you for any advice or help you can offer,
James.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:03 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: character reference problem

Hey. I wouldn't stress too much over it, give them as much detail as you can ie: contact numbers etc.

When I applied for my Bunac visa I didn't want my work to know, and my previous work had a policy of not doing references at all. I got one of my old work mates to do me a personal reference, and I explained the situation in a covering letter to Bunac.

They accepted it with no questions and never contacted the referee. I'm sure they've seen it all before! So yea, provide what you can and explain the position in your covering letter. You'll be grand, good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

jamesrobert is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, okay excellent. So you would suggest maybe sending an extra letter explaining the situation and giving his mobile telephone number? The letter is date about twelve days ago, so I had absolutely no idea this would happen. What would you suggest that the covering letter say?

Thank you!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:09 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Well there's no standard way of doing these things, but I would say to just keep it simple.

When you are sending off the Bunac package, just make up a covering letter saying the usual stuff.....enclosed is my paperwork as requested bla bla, give a short outline of what has happened to your employer and say that they can contact the manager on whatever number should they wish to do so.

I'm sure they will appreciate the difficult position, if they want anything more from you they will ask. I have had a really good experience with dealing with Bunac so far, so don't worry too much about it.