Reload this Page >

Changing Surname in Quebec

Changing Surname in Quebec

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Abby27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Surname in Quebec

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I got married in Sept. to my lovely hubby over in Montreal.

We were slightly gutted at the time to find out that in Quebec the bride keeps her maiden name!! :scared: I was wondering if its possible to change my surname to my husbands as I'm very traditional and would prefer this.

I know I could change it over here in the UK but I don't intend to be sticking around here much longer

Many thanks!!

Have a lovely Crimbo Time

Abby
Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

goblu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Surname in Quebec

Originally posted by Abby27
Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I got married in Sept. to my lovely hubby over in Montreal.

We were slightly gutted at the time to find out that in Quebec the bride keeps her maiden name!! :scared: I was wondering if its possible to change my surname to my husbands as I'm very traditional and would prefer this.

I know I could change it over here in the UK but I don't intend to be sticking around here much longer

Many thanks!!

Abby
They have some very odd laws in Quebec Very Odd. I could never understand how they get away with it.
The only suggestion I have is this. Go across the border to Ontario and get re married. You should be o.k.then.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Changing Surname in Quebec

Originally posted by Abby27
Hello there,

Many thanks!!

Abby

If you are still in the UK all you need to do is change your name by Deed Poll and get this certified by a Solicitor or Bank. My partner changed his surname for family reasons and it took him a couple of days to do. Although, the only thing that may take a couple of weeks would be changing your passport, driving licence. However, if you were married here in the UK then i suppose you have done that already?

Also, does the rule actually apply to immigrants!?
Old Dec 27th 2003, 4:27 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the lovely Canadian red tape. I had the opposite problem, in that I refused to change my name to my (now ex) husband's and BC had a really hard time with that a few years ago. They threatened me with all sorts but I just refused and in the end they gave in and I got my Care Card, Drivers License etc in my maiden name. It came up again when I got my citizenship in 2002 as my IMM 1000 was in my husband's name for some reason. They made one phone call, then read the file and issued all the doc's in my maiden name. You are in the UK - that Law applies, not Canadian, so change everything now. When you get back to Quebec they will insist you pay loads of $$ for a legal name change. Refuse - you were legally known as Mrs. X when you entered the province and they have to honour that if all your primary photo ID (your passport) shows your married name.

This is red tape gone bonkers, and they get terribly upset when you stand your ground but you can. Start as you mean to go on!
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:08 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the laws in quebec are in place to protect their culture in as much as a french canadian woman with a cutural french surname who married someone from outside quebec would lose her french surname and thus the laws in place to prevent this.

Quebec seems to suffer from thinking that it is somehow better than the rest of canada. In my 19 years in canada I often wished the push to seperate from canada actually happened to give quebec a taste of reality that it indeed does need ottawa and canada.

The worst law to my mind in quebec is the one that forces businesses to displaying signs in french and god forbid you try and put them in english unless it meets strict font size limits.
Its all part of quebecs effort to keep its french identity yet its not what the majority wants.

Hey.... people in quebec want to leave so badly the population is dwindling to the point where as an incentive for women to stay and have kids, the government will actually pay you to have babies !!!!!
Old Dec 29th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's completely understandable for a couple to want to share the same marital name, after all it's quite the norm. But I have to say that having married my Canadian wife in Quebec I really quite like the fact that she has kept her own name and so does she!

We currenly live in the UK and it causes the odd misunderstanding now and again but for those women who don't want to give up their maiden name I certainly think they shouldn't have to.

Perhaps what should really happen in Quebec and everywhere else is upon getting married everyone should get to choose what they would like to do.