Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Changing Schools from UK to Canada

Changing Schools from UK to Canada

Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

X9DJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Schools from UK to Canada

Can anyone help? We came to Canada 3 weeks ago and the school my daughter has started at has requested final grades from her school in the uk so that she can get some credits for the work she has done this year (she's 15 and a grade 10). They said that they have done this for other UK students. It needs to official results and not just on a school report. I have spoken to her school and they have said that they are unable to transfer grades. Has anyone had to do this for their children?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:43 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Changing Schools from UK to Canada

Hiya cant help as my kids are younger - BUT i'd change the title slighty to add something about grades transfer, as when looking through thread titles it just looks like your looking for info on schools so people might be inclined to pass over - if you put grade transfers help in the titles others who have been through that may spot it and take a look

Just a suggestion hope you dont mind
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by X9DJJ
Can anyone help? We came to Canada 3 weeks ago and the school my daughter has started at has requested final grades from her school in the uk so that she can get some credits for the work she has done this year (she's 15 and a grade 10). They said that they have done this for other UK students. It needs to official results and not just on a school report. I have spoken to her school and they have said that they are unable to transfer grades. Has anyone had to do this for their children?
Maybe they mean they cannot transfer them directly to the Canadain school. You are certainly entitled to get them, under the data protection act.

Gryph
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

What the school in Canada is asking for is GCSE results. If your daughter has taken any exams early (like Citizenship for example), when the results come through from the examination board (August), you can give the certificate to the school here in Canada for credit transfer. As she is in grade 10 (this August or Grade 11 in August this year, please clarify) they will be looking for credits as Canadian school children start their exam studies in grade 10 with the end of each semester having exams in the subjects they are taking. These exams give them credits for graduation in grade 12. The child must gain 24 credits in order to pass graduation.

It sounds complicated, but the school here in Canada will be worried that she would not have gained any credits from grade 10 only leaving her two years in which to gain the 24 credits (a difficult task). If she has no GCSE grades, just tell the school that she had not taken any credited exams before you left the UK as they are not taken until grade 11. If you daughter is starting grade 11 this August, you could always ask them to put her down a year so that she will gain the full 3 years to complete her credit work. If she has already completed some of the work in the UK (which she would have) it will be easy for her to gain lots of credits in grade 10. Remember they stay at school here until they are 18, as they complete graduation then (it compares to completing GCSE’s and A-Levels (A1 & A2) in the UK).

Hope that helps
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:02 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

My Daughter joined in the second half of grade 9, she was awarded points after she had finished the second semester, advanced class therefore gaining her 8 points needed that year. 4 points awared due to her marks in the second half of the year.

I do find the systerm is better for my child, she has 4 subjects to learn at a time and then is tested at the end of that semester, she has just finished the English test today and was told she passed with a 89% for that year. This year coming she is doing co op gaining her 4 marks needed at the local ZOO for the first semester...... life is sweet.....
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I clarified this very point with the principal of Bowness High School - they will accept SAT results, end of year reports with exam % totals or the teacher's appraisal of what level the child has reached - but it must be for EACH subject studied.

So in the case of a 15 year old who has only done one year of the GCSE course (as will be the exact same case with my daughter) I have to ask each of her subject teachers to write a note explaining what she has studied and what level/grade/result she attained (depending on how the school marks/appraises) to date.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by X9DJJ
What province are you living in?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:37 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
A previous post suggests Saskatchewan (and, more specifically, Saskatoon).
x
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:14 am
Just Joined

X9DJJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dthomas
Saskatoon
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Have a poke about this site: this is all official Department of Education bumf.

http://www.learning.gov.sk.ca/