Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Changing name on a passport

Changing name on a passport

Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:06 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing name on a passport

I am having a little dumb moment.

When we were married back in 2010 (yup it was that long ago already) we decided that we'd apply for spousal sponsorship (after all it only takes roughly 6 months outland right ) and as it would be so quick, I' d then deal with changing my name on my passport and subsequent pr card after the event.

Now after the application having been in for around 2 years, and me thinking "it's gonna be any minute now, no seriously ............now" for ppr, and it hasn't been - I'm now thinking would it throw a real spanner in the works to tell CIC, hold off for a mo, i'll send off my passport - get the name changed, and then ppr and my card when its all said and done will be in my new married name (with me so far?!!!!)

So this evening i'm checking out the UK (for people abroad) website, and it seems that although I need to send it to somewhere in the states, it would cost $211 (or something) for a renewal.

Well my passport doesn't expire til 2017 so in another 4 year i'd have to pay the same again to get a 'new' one.

I've emialed Ottawa to see if it would be a real pain for their processing their end (i've given up hopes of anything happening fast with these guys so whats another month tacked on to the whole process gonna hurt?????) so I suppose my question is

would you leave things as they are (ie imminent ppr but in maiden name) and change everything when it's all done and dusted (pr card and passport) or bite the bullet and finally change the passport now so that everything can be issued in my married name.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:49 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing name on a passport

I would keep it in my existing name and change it when the passport expires.... Based on absolutely nothing, other than the fact that the extra dosh could buy you a weekend treat with your beloved, and it doesn't 'mean' anything for a woman to change her name through marriage. I 'still' get letters in my maiden name, and I changed my passport more than ten years ago and wrote to banks etc, but it evidently takes them a while to catch on! What an amount of time your spousal sponsorship is taking....are you trying to set a BE record?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I would keep it in my existing name and change it when the passport expires.... Based on absolutely nothing, other than the fact that the extra dosh could buy you a weekend treat with your beloved, and it doesn't 'mean' anything for a woman to change her name through marriage. I 'still' get letters in my maiden name, and I changed my passport more than ten years ago and wrote to banks etc, but it evidently takes them a while to catch on! What an amount of time your spousal sponsorship is taking....are you trying to set a BE record?
Oh yeah - I like things done the hard way me

I suppose I could leave it til I need a new passport, but it's just the silly things like if we book a holiday together i'd like it to be in th names of Mr and Mrs X rather than Mr X and Ms Y.

And seeing as Mr MMC is an old fashioned guy - he'd like his wifes name and his to be the same too

I do see your point though Millie and it is one i'll consider after speaking with HID
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:56 am
Sawdust making harpy

just had another thought, if I leave it til I need a new passport then theres the whole rigmarole with citizenship / names etc. which will come before my new pp is required!