Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

changes in ontario

changes in ontario

Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default changes in ontario

we have just moved from saskatchewan to ontario...do i have to change things like child benefit,child tax, also cant find how we sort out paying hst as my husband is self employed..i know in 3 months i have to swap healthcards..anything else i missed and should be sorting out now we are here..thanks..oh and merry xmas and happy new year all
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:53 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changes in ontario

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
also cant find how we sort out paying hst as my husband is self employed
If he is already GST registered there is nothing to sort out. HST is the same as GST except that the rate you charge depends on the location of the customer. For customers in ON charge 13%. Report and pay to the CRA in the same way as he used to report and pay GST. He even uses the same form. Tell the CRA of your change of address and you are good to go.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

pretty sure you'll need to swap to an Ontario driving licence as well.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

thanks..already swapped drivers licence and plates
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:30 am
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

hope you are keeping all your receipts for claiming on your tax - if you moved for a job etc, you can claim nearly everything, fantastic scheme to help people move for jobs all over Canada. Make sure you change your address with the tax office right away, do it on-line - this is very important. They will change everything for you such as child benefit claims etc. Our move from NB to Ontario went smoothly as we kept the tax office informed.

Last edited by No1_mom; Dec 28th 2010 at 11:23 am.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks..we have to keep everything for income tax as my husband is self employed..and i will change our address when we do our income tax return
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:47 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

if you read the tax page you need to immediately inform them of any change of address - even if you are not changing your bank - they can stop all payments if they find out.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...eng.html?=slnk
How to change your address

If you move, let us know your new address as soon as possible.

Reminder
If you receive a Canada Pension Plan or Old Age Security benefit, you should also change your address with Service Canada.
By Internet

You can make changes or view the address and telephone number information we have on file for you online.

If you have registered with the My Account service, you can change your address by going to My Account. If not, you have to tell us your new address by phone, or in writing.
By mail or fax

Send your request by mail or by fax to your tax centre. Be sure to include your:

* signature
* social insurance number
* new address
* date of your move

By phone

Call our Individual Income Tax Enquiries telephone service at 1-800-959-8281.
Why is it important?

When you tell us your new address in advance:

* you can avoid any disruption to benefit payments you may be receiving, such as the GST/HST credit (including those from certain related provincial payments), Universal Child Care Benefit, and Canada Child Tax Benefit payments (including those from certain related provincial or territorial programs), and Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) advance payments.
* we can mail your tax return package to the correct address next year.

Notes
Because an individual’s personal information is confidential, generally we will not provide a change of address to other government departments or Crown corporations such as Canada Post. Similarly, they do not provide such information to us. The exception is Elections Canada, but only if you gave us your authorization by answering "Yes" to both Elections Canada questions on page one of your return. If you want other departments or organizations informed, you must contact them directly.

If you use our direct deposit service and you have a new account at a financial institution, inform us of your new account.