Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Change to settlement Fund Requirements - Please advise

Change to settlement Fund Requirements - Please advise

Old Jul 25th 2002, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

mb_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change to settlement Fund Requirements - Please advise

I remember seeing on a website that the required settlement funds have changed. At the time we applied, it was $12,000 for 2 of us, but I remember seeing a new outline which indicated approx $22,000 for two of us. When first applying I actually thought the $12,000 was pretty low, I don't know about others here, but I'd be a tad worried about moving to another country with only $12k in my pocket - Even $22k is still rather low for 2 people to settle.

Anyhow, to get to the question, have the settlement funds requirements changed? CIC's website indicates:

Number of
Family
Members/
Funds Required
(in Canadian dollars)

1 $9,186

2 $11,482

3 $14,280

4 $17,286

5 $19,323

6 $21,360

7+ $23,397

I thought these were the old ones and they had been raised, could anyone please clarify?

Ta,

Mike...

Last edited by mb_bound; Jul 25th 2002 at 1:14 am.
Old Jul 25th 2002, 4:20 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Change to settlement Fund Requirements - Please advise

These are current settlement fund requirements. And you are absolutely correct -
those amounts are extremely low, but our politicians were hard pressed by certain
constituents and decided that votes are more important than taxpayers money needed to
support those immigrants who are not able to survive on those amounts before starting
earning living in Canada on their own.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"mb_bound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I remember seeing on a website that the required settlement funds have changed. At
    > the time we applied, it was $12,000 for 2 of us, but I remember seeing a new
    > outline which indicated approx $22,000 for two of us. When first applying I
    > actually thought the $12,000 was pretty low, I don't know about others here, but
    > I'd be a tad worried about moving to another country with only $12k in my pocket -
    > Even $22k is still rather low for 2 people to settle.
    >
    > Anyhow, to get to the question, have the settlement funds requirements changed?
    > CIC's website indicates:
    >
    > Number of Family Members/ Funds Required (in Canadian dollars)
    >
    > 1 $9,186
    >
    > 2 $11,482
    >
    > 3 $14,280
    >
    > 4 $17,286
    >
    > 5 $19,323
    >
    > 6 $21,360
    >
    > 7+ $23,397
    >
    >
    > I thought these were the old ones and they had been raised, could anyone please
    > clarify?
    >
    > Ta,
    >
    > Mike...
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 25th 2002, 5:20 pm
Kukku

Default Re: Change to settlement Fund Requirements - Please advise

Don't think its exteremly low keeping in view the assumption that its for initial
six months or so ... and its not easy for everyone to even bring that much money
with them. But if someone can afford more , most welcome.. there is no point in
saying that the standard set by Canada seems wrong !!! taxpayers are supporting the
newcommers.. right, don't forget that these newcommers one day will be supporting
the people following them as new immigratnts .. so the politicians are not wrong in
this case

"Andrew Miller" <millercitelus.net> wrote in message
news:<BiK%[email protected]> ...
    > These are current settlement fund requirements. And you are absolutely correct -
    > those amounts are extremely low, but our politicians were hard pressed by certain
    > constituents and decided that votes are more important than taxpayers money needed
    > to support those immigrants who are not able to survive on those amounts before
    > starting earning living in Canada on their own.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ../..
    >
    > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
    > millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
    > sending email)
    > ________________________________
    >
    >
    >
    > "mb_bound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I remember seeing on a website that the required settlement funds have changed.
    > > At the time we applied, it was $12,000 for 2 of us, but I remember seeing a new
    > > outline which indicated approx $22,000 for two of us. When first applying I
    > > actually thought the $12,000 was pretty low, I don't know about others here, but
    > > I'd be a tad worried about moving to another country with only $12k in my pocket
    > > - Even $22k is still rather low for 2 people to settle.
    > >
    > > Anyhow, to get to the question, have the settlement funds requirements changed?
    > > CIC's website indicates:
    > >
    > > Number of Family Members/ Funds Required (in Canadian dollars)
    > >
    > > 1 $9,186
    > >
    > > 2 $11,482
    > >
    > > 3 $14,280
    > >
    > > 4 $17,286
    > >
    > > 5 $19,323
    > >
    > > 6 $21,360
    > >
    > > 7+ $23,397
    > >
    > >
    > > I thought these were the old ones and they had been raised, could anyone please
    > > clarify?
    > >
    > > Ta,
    > >
    > > Mike...
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --