Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chances are of making a decent life...?????

Chances are of making a decent life...?????

Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:34 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances are of making a decent life...?????

Tangram

Choose from the following:

1. I have a direct line to the secret head of the Canadian Immigration service
2. I'm part of the Scottish mafia and have incriminating photographs of important government officials
3. I'm a fantasist, living in a Walter Mitty world of my own deluded imagination

or

..and I quote: " ..Our PPR will be sent away this weekend to CHC...". Passport requests are the stage we are now at. We've been in this process for three years almost.

madmac

Originally Posted by Tangram
Can you say how u expect to be there mid year as you are only just submitting your application ?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:29 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
no-one can replace the relatives, friends and culture you leave behind, this might be the most difficult aspect.
On the other hand relatives and culture may be the best thing to leave behind

Rich.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:44 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
On the other hand relatives and culture may be the best thing to leave behind
Ooh yes. The Incentive, I call it .

(Relatives-wise.)

(P.S. Is £30,000 really not enough, then? What if you won't be buying a car initially?)
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Personally i would have though that 30k was a reasonable float. As for a car, if id di buy one it would certainly be something very cheap and generally regarded as reliable (VW)

Saying that, i could just buy an Audi TT with the 30k and hope that impresess employers into giving me a job !!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:09 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

(I remember thinking how cheap cars were out there, but of course the insurance is AWFUL.)

£30,000 sounds pretty good to me too, although I wouldn't want to take much less than that. It would be interesting to hear what people who are already there think?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartm
if id di buy one it would certainly be something very cheap and generally regarded as reliable (VW)
Are they regarded as reliable here? They're made in Mexico not Wolfsburg iirc.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:53 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

But they make a great piñata!!

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are they regarded as reliable here? They're made in Mexico not Wolfsburg iirc.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartm
something very cheap and generally regarded as reliable (VW)
Ah, unfortunately VWs here are neither of those things.

Just doing the insurance thing today as it happens. 2 Cars, 2 drivers, long flawless records of canadian and UK history, cheap country location. $1450 for fully comp with $1M liability and $500 deductables I know I shouldnt grumble as thats cheap by newcommer standards, but it still pisses me off.

£30k is way more than I had when I arrived. You just have to cut your cloth according to your budget. Full EI here is only about $900 every two weeks, so think of it as 36 months to find a job that pays the bills, or else about 18 months income on a good salary after tax and deductions?

Obviously some has to go on furnishings and security deposits. If you really need a car (whick lets face it, is almost certain here) maybe lease a 2004 or something....reliable transport with minimal initial outlay, and it buys a couple of years to get established enough to make the payments on buying one next time.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 5th 2006 at 4:36 am.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Full EI here is only about $900 every two weeks...
Sorry if I sound thick, but what does EI stand for?

Cheers

Chris
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:19 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr
Sorry if I sound thick, but what does EI stand for?
Employment Insurance.

It used to be called Unemployment Insurance, so you'll still see some people referring to it as UI.

You didn't ask, but for those who don't know, another salary deduction is CPP, which stands for Canada Pension Plan.