Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cellphone, Internet, cable bundle deals

Cellphone, Internet, cable bundle deals

Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cellphone, Internet, cable bundle deals

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought there was supposed to be a $15 package.....
Ah, my mistake. It was $25 but that was non inclusive of equipment so a receiver is going to add to that. I suspect one receiver is free but only with the non skinny packages.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:47 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah, my mistake. It was $25 but that was non inclusive of equipment so a receiver is going to add to that. I suspect one receiver is free but only with the non skinny packages.
Yep you suspect correctly.

No equipment with the $25 Shaw "Limited TV Plan" aka skinny package.

That's going to cost you an extra $5 per month if you rent. It'll cost you $4 per month over 36 months if you choose buy over a period of time and $138 if you choose one time payment. This is for a receiver only, no ability to record.

You want to record? That'll cost $15 a month to rent, $10 a month over 36 months or $348 outright purchase.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Markicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how long on average it takes to get a new broadband connection installed in a rental property in the Calgary area?

I'm planning to set up a home office and I'm only taking 2 weeks off work for the move. I know over here it can take 2 - 3 weeks depending on availability so I am hoping it's a little bit faster in AB!

Also and this may be a long shot but... has anyone had experience with getting a static IP set up from the ISP?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markicof
Does anyone know how long on average it takes to get a new broadband connection installed in a rental property in the Calgary area?

I'm planning to set up a home office and I'm only taking 2 weeks off work for the move. I know over here it can take 2 - 3 weeks depending on availability so I am hoping it's a little bit faster in AB!

Also and this may be a long shot but... has anyone had experience with getting a static IP set up from the ISP?
Depends, are you getting dry-loop or do you already have an active phone line, or are you getting cable internet
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:08 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markicof

I just recently upgraded to the new 150mbps internet with Shaw here in Calgary. This required a new modem. I was given the choice pick-up and install myself or have a Shaw tech come out and do the install at no charge to me. Being lazy I chose the latter and it was done in about six days.

I just checked online and you can get a static IP address with Shaw but you have to have a business account with them. They won't do a static IP with just a regular home account.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Ok, I committed to cell phones today, I got two iPhone 6s for free, I have 5gb data, free calls in and out throughout Canada. $195 per month for 2 years, pricey but I am a new immigrant and I need to get communicated up.

I shall check the Internet /tv options above tomorrow. Cheers.

By the way had a Samuel Adams beer from the Celtic in shawnessy tonight, out of date cloudy, they have a fridge of it, had great pleasure telling them it was 4 month out of date. They replaced it with wife beater!
HOW MUCH??

you defiantly didn't get the iphones for free at that price. I get all that albeit only 2 gb of data for $50 with Fido.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

6 days also.