Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cellphone coverage near the border

Cellphone coverage near the border

Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cellphone coverage near the border

I was just wondering if anyone can get a decent signal from a US tower on the Canadian side of the border. People I've asked about it seem to think it's the other way around, you can get the Canadian signal in the US and I've had that experience myself.

For example if you're in Douglas can you connect to any of the towers around Blaine? Obviously you've got to have a phone where you can manually select the provider.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cellphone coverage near the border

Depends on how close to the border you are. I'm with Sprint in the US and I can get a Sprint signal in Fort Erie, ON and Niagara Falls, ON. However, I don't need to be too far away from the border before I lose the signal.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Depends on how close to the border you are. I'm with Sprint in the US and I can get a Sprint signal in Fort Erie, ON and Niagara Falls, ON. However, I don't need to be too far away from the border before I lose the signal.
I've been on the 401 west of Brockville (where there is a service centre on the eastbound lanes) and started a phone conversation once I got out of the car. I was on Rogers at the time and by the time I got into the middle of the building it had switched to AT & T...going outside switched it back to Rogers. I got dinged on the bill but got a credit greater than the charges.

On the other hand I had a call in northern New York state near Cornwall that was for about 30 minutes all on Canadian towers while being in the US the whole time.

Most of the time, when you are fully on US signals you get a text message 'welcoming' you to the US.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well I never set my phone to auto, I always manually select the provider so if the signal dies I don't get hammered for roaming.

Then the thought occurred to me there could be ways to fiddle the bill near the border, as I have a PAYG US phone that I use in the US, but would it work near the border and if so where? Also there are phone numbers that are blocked in Canada for various govt agencies in the US, and it's a hassle to cross the border just to talk to them, although I can think of other ways around that one (voip proxy).

But at Sweet Grass I never get anything but Canadian providers. The nearest tower appears to be in Shelby.

Bit of an obscure thing to worry about I realize but when you get the phone bill for roaming you start thinking about it.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing. I can be sat at home when the phone beeps, switches to roaming and I get a "Welcome to the US" text message. Other times I can be a couple of miles south of the border before the phone drops the Canadian signal.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Can you force it to a US carrier from White Rock?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Steve_

You could try. Check available networks on your phone to see if any US are available and then try to connect to them.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My phone detects the US networks while I am at home (near the border) but it will never connect to them. I always have to be 1-2km into the US before my phone will connect to a US network.

Even when waiting in line to cross the border, I can never get the phone to connect, always around the 1-2km mark into Sumas before I can.

When I had Virgin pay as you go it would not work at all in the US, once near the border the signal dropped.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:23 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bloody pain. Every time I go to the South end of the Island (Vancouver) my phone switches to AT&T (I think it is) and I would have to pay roving or roaming rates which are something like $1.50 a minute! So I have to switch it off!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:40 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's a bloody pain. Every time I go to the South end of the Island (Vancouver) my phone switches to AT&T (I think it is) and I would have to pay roving or roaming rates which are something like $1.50 a minute! So I have to switch it off!

Better than Rogers Pay as you go roaming rate in Tallin Estonia, $7.00 per minute.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Better than Rogers Pay as you go roaming rate in Tallin Estonia, $7.00 per minute.
Bloody Hell!!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ive found that since they built the new upgraded border crossings ..i loose all signals within a km or so...
not all that on topic but ...
jimmy.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

But can't you just set your phone to manual network selection and force it to stay on the Canadian carrier?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Bloody Hell!!!!!
Yeah, Rogers have insane roaming rates, that's why I got a US PAYG phone.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:01 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I have a very old phone. When I tell it to search networks the only one it finds is Rogers ATT. I will have to see what it finds when it switches to roaming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.