Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cell phone frequency bands in Canada

Cell phone frequency bands in Canada

Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cell phone frequency bands in Canada

I came across this note on the web advising on what GSM networks cell phones work in canada-

First of all, if you have an unlocked GSM phone, make sure that it runs on the North America 850 and/or 1900 bands (unlike the 900 and 1800 bands in Europe and many other places). If you have a tri-band or quad-band phone, you are OK.

Could anyone confirm this then? A mobile from europe and other countries will NOT work in canada, is that right?

thanks

Last edited by ExcitedBrit; Apr 20th 2009 at 9:52 am.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell phone frequency bands in Canada

I have a uk mobile that works fine ( well not in the outback village where I live there is no signal for any mobile) but works fine elsewhere.

We found that for emergencies only, which is all we want a mobile for, its much much cheaper to use an old UK phone.

Mines a virgin mobile and I have topped it up for £10 online twice since I ve been here. ( in a year)

We did buy a canadian mobile stuck $50 on it thinking that will last a couple of years ... guess what it expired within 8 weeks we lost the whole $50 and get this they also wanted another $50 reconection fee before we could use it again and even put any credit on They can shove that

mobile phones are way way behind the times in this part of canada NS
what a rip off!

so we shall be sticking with virgin mobile via the uk
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:19 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I believe providing your phone is tri or quad band and it is unlocked that it will work with Canadian sim. Mine was fine last year when we were over, the charges were sky high though!

I am going to look to get a canadian sim for my current phone when we arrive, until we get sorted out
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

nikki we didnt swap sins or anything
so if you have a tri band uk phone and provider that you can top up online it could save you a fortune until canada catch up with the rest of the world on fair cost mobile phone provision

might be better for you closer to halifax but here in the outback there is only TELUS/ALIANT anyway
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:25 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
nikki we didnt swap sins or anything
so if you have a tri band uk phone and provider that you can top up online it could save you a fortune until canada catch up with the rest of the world on fair cost mobile phone provision

might be better for you closer to halifax but here in the outback there is only TELUS/ALIANT anyway
Thanks, will have a look at what O2 can offer for charges abroad etc, I know when we were there last year it cost loads, but may be able to get a different plan to make it a bit cheaper, I am on PAYG.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Thanks, will have a look at what O2 can offer for charges abroad etc, I know when we were there last year it cost loads, but may be able to get a different plan to make it a bit cheaper, I am on PAYG.
yes mines PAYG

we have used ours only a few times and so far spent around £11 in a year

ours is just in case we break down in the car although unlikely to be any phone signal on any network round here and to check up when we have a doggy baby sitter in, we like them to bark down the phone when we are out so we know they are ok

I would say if you just want something for an emergency using Uk would be fine but for anyone who cant exist without texting and phoning all day long well they are in for a shock cost wise and coverage wise
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I do know the canadian payg top-up cards have expiry dates once used(think its monthly, just as it was in the uk 10 years ago) and to be honest Im fine with that, nothing much one can do about it really! Will bring along my mobiles phones then...see if anyone of them work! Will be buying a sim card, smart card as they call it.

Originally Posted by chumley
I have a uk mobile that works fine ( well not in the outback village where I live there is no signal for any mobile) but works fine elsewhere.

We found that for emergencies only, which is all we want a mobile for, its much much cheaper to use an old UK phone.

Mines a virgin mobile and I have topped it up for £10 online twice since I ve been here. ( in a year)

We did buy a canadian mobile stuck $50 on it thinking that will last a couple of years ... guess what it expired within 8 weeks we lost the whole $50 and get this they also wanted another $50 reconection fee before we could use it again and even put any credit on They can shove that

mobile phones are way way behind the times in this part of canada NS
what a rip off!

so we shall be sticking with virgin mobile via the uk
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I use a cdn sim when I go home for visits, WHAT A RIP OFF. Pay for incoming as well as out going, and credit is gone if you do not use it within 30 days, so we only top up a small amt at a time, cos I am not giving Rogers my hard earned $. in Ontario Rogers is the only mobile comp that has sim cards, if you want anything different your trapped into buying the phone as well. You pay dearly for cdn sim...yes you pay for it..and activation fee..(another bloody rip off and about 50 bucks) then you got to top up..if you want $20 top up be prepared to pay $20 PLUS tax on top of that, if you buy a $20 top up you only get about 18 bucks top up...can't forget that bloody tax. (sorry but UK has it right adding tax in)

When I go home I use an old UK mobile, people still wonder where I got the "fancy cell phone"
Canada and US needs to get the lead out and get with the rest of the world.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:58 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
I do know the canadian payg top-up cards have expiry dates once used(think its monthly, just as it was in the uk 10 years ago) and to be honest Im fine with that, nothing much one can do about it really! Will bring along my mobiles phones then...see if anyone of them work! Will be buying a sim card, smart card as they call it.
If unlocked your phone should work on rogers pay and go.

Customer service is horrible though.

If you intend to be around a couple of years you're probably better off biting the bullet and getting a new phone. Rogers pay and go will set you back min $22.50 a month. I'd get an iphone for about $60 a month or a bbStorm for $52ish a month - frankly. Unless money is a big issue, then get Rogers for a few months until settled and then move elsewhere.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im going for fido... will have to see how it goes!
Originally Posted by Canada2006
If unlocked your phone should work on rogers pay and go.

Customer service is horrible though.

If you intend to be around a couple of years you're probably better off biting the bullet and getting a new phone. Rogers pay and go will set you back min $22.50 a month. I'd get an iphone for about $60 a month or a bbStorm for $52ish a month - frankly. Unless money is a big issue, then get Rogers for a few months until settled and then move elsewhere.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:04 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Im going for fido... will have to see how it goes!
Fido is Roger's cheap brand.

Don't believe that they do pay and go.

However, their iPhone plan is $5 cheaper a month.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

check this out and let me know about it

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/PrepaidPlans

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Fido is Roger's cheap brand.

Don't believe that they do pay and go.

However, their iPhone plan is $5 cheaper a month.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:54 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Frequency bands in Canada are listed in the wiki, compare this to the specifications of your phone (google will do) and you're away.

Fido, as you've found, does do PAYG but they're far from the cheapest - you will be able to use a SIM however so if you're keeping your unlocked UK phone they're a better bet than Rogers. Do not expect technical assistance from their phone reps though.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:12 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I came across this note on the web advising on what GSM networks cell phones work in canada-

First of all, if you have an unlocked GSM phone, make sure that it runs on the North America 850 and/or 1900 bands (unlike the 900 and 1800 bands in Europe and many other places). If you have a tri-band or quad-band phone, you are OK.

Could anyone confirm this then? A mobile from europe and other countries will NOT work in canada, is that right?

thanks
If your phone is tri-band you'll be fine (most are), plus unlocking it means you can just buy a new sim card.

Best to get it unlocked before going to Canada. If you're out of contract your phone company have to give you the unlock codes and instuctions, and can not charge you.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

kiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nice

When i've been over to canada on trips from the UK neither of my mobiles (one is O2 and the other is Orange) worked there and they are both tri-band and worked for my everywhere else including south america. So in the end I bought a cheap PAYG cell phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.