Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cell phone in British Columbia

Cell phone in British Columbia

Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Zanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cell phone in British Columbia

Hi there - can anyone give me some help/advice on cell phones in Canada?

Our daughter will be living out in Fernie for three months, whilst we remain in the UK and we would like to keep in touch.

She currently has a standard UK phone (Nokia/Cellnet), but I dont think this will work.

What kind of options do we have? and what is the reception like in Fernie?

Grateful for any replies........... thanks, Zanna
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never tried a cell phone in the mountains but even in Saskatchewan if you are down in a valley they don't work very well. What about where she is staying? It might work better if they had a land line there and she could use that.

Maybe someone else will answer who has actually tried a cell in the mountains.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:44 am
Just Joined

xilr8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cell phone in British Columbia

Originally posted by Zanna
Hi there - can anyone give me some help/advice on cell phones in Canada?

Our daughter will be living out in Fernie for three months, whilst we remain in the UK and we would like to keep in touch.

She currently has a standard UK phone (Nokia/Cellnet), but I dont think this will work.

What kind of options do we have? and what is the reception like in Fernie?

Grateful for any replies........... thanks, Zanna
For your mobile to work in Canada, it has to be triband.. i.e. Nokia 7210 / 7250 etc. Older mobiles (dual band) will not work.. and some new ones are only dualband.. let me know the model and I'll tell you if it will work!

Also, if she is going to make calls home to England, make sure she has international option enabled (she'll have to call O2 to enable it), it costs £2.99 per month, but will save you 75% (approx) off calls... I forgot to do this and my mobile bill for my last trip to Canada was £300!

Reception was pretty good around Vancouver..
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Zanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hi thanks for the advice.

We dont think our daughter will have access to a landline, but will certainly get the international option enabled on her mobile account, she has an almost new phone, but I am not sure what model.

: )
Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

Why pay international mobile phone rates when your daughter can buy a $10 or $20 prepaid phone card and use it from a landline or a call box and pay 2,5c a minute to phone the UK?