Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Celebrations where you are?

Celebrations where you are?

Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Celebrations where you are?

What are you doing to celebrate New Years this year?

We'd only just arrived last year and so it was a very quiet one - had my decision to stay been based on that night - I probably would have gone home hahah - only because my Mum rang me to wish me Happy New Year at 4pm our time and she had a full blown party in swing - band the lot....so when I put the phone down I suddenly missed the UK celebrations very much.

At that point my emotions didn't tell me it was because we were new and didn't know anyone yet - we knew a few people but none of them were getting together. So we just stayed up with the kids and had a bottle of bubbly (we not the kids hahah). I missed family alot.

This year I have managed to convince some friends to have a party - so we are all round thiers this evening. Doing a potluck of food and having plenty of drink no doubt. I am looking forward to seeing in our 2nd year, 2009 was a good one - despite the ups and downs of emigrating, next year will bring challenges of new jobs, doing our house up, seeing our new pup grow up and missing our dog we bought with us from the UK, who sadly had to be put to sleep Dec 2nd. ().

So I was just being nosey and wanted to know what you were doing....I've been cooking Curried Goat/Baked Ham/Sausage Rolls and Weiner Rolls - talk about an eclectic mix!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EACH OF YOU - may it be a fantastic year, whether here, trying to get here or back in the UK.

Nats x
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Celebrations where you are?

I spent last night on Skype with my husband He is already working in Alberta so we have been apart this Christmas and New Year but our family will be reunited on May 2nd!

Happy New Year to you, hope your party went well.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:04 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

sod all going on in vancouver as usual. went to a friends place with some other friends. Good night actually
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to one of the local lakes, where they had ice sculptures, fire dancers/throwers (or something), a petting zoo etc, which was then finished off with fireworks at 8pm.
It was great for the kids, despite it being around -30.

Got home around 8.30, put the kids to bed, and fell asleep at about 10pm ourselves!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

I wondered whether there were any 1st timers to Canada out there who were alone this New Year feeling the same as I did last year - I guess I just wanted to say it gets better!

Some like to be alone, I don't - the more the merrier, so coming here not knowing many people, was a sharp contrast to the busy Christmas/New Years I was used to.

I don't want to replicate the UK here, I just missed that bit lol....thankfully I am getting to know more people and the social calendar is getting better.

Have a great New Years Day

Nats
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:01 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We went to my son's fiancee's parents. Had a fun supper, played silly games.

They found a very old quiz game with categories like TV that only the elder generation knew the answers to, much to the younglings disgust! There'd be a geography question read, then a pause and .... "is it still called that!" etc ...

Hubby did the first-footing thing, much to the Dutch-Canadians' delight, and we all sang Auld Lang Syne, but only I knew all the words as I sing the barbershop version ..... they are keen to come to us for a Burns' Supper now! I must sharpen my accordion ........
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We just set off fireworks in the field behind the house. Late, perhaps, but fun nonetheless.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farjojo71
I spent last night on Skype with my husband He is already working in Alberta so we have been apart this Christmas and New Year but our family will be reunited on May 2nd!

Happy New Year to you, hope your party went well.
Just remember Jo it will all be worth it in the end. Have a great 2010 and new life xx