Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Catholic School Fees

Catholic School Fees

Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Catholic School Fees

Hi - anyone have an idea how much approx it costs to send your children to Catholic schooling as I believe that it is not public schooling in most areas ? We are pretty much looking at the Edmonton area. however we may depending on the income look at St Albert which the Catholic schools are the public schools.

Just wanted to have an idea so that we can build up the bigger picture.

Thanks

JET
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:06 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catholic School Fees

There doesn't appear to be any fees for regular schooling at any of the schools of the Edmonton Catholic School system.

http://www.ecsd.net/
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JET747
Hi - anyone have an idea how much approx it costs to send your children to Catholic schooling as I believe that it is not public schooling in most areas ? We are pretty much looking at the Edmonton area. however we may depending on the income look at St Albert which the Catholic schools are the public schools.

Thanks

JET
I'm surprised that you say there isn't any public schooling in the area you are looking at.

What is the big draw for you on the Catholic schooling?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

JET
the Catholic school board is a part of the publicly funded system. Municipal taxpayers (at least here in Ont., I assume it's similar nationwide) have to declare which out of the Catholic board or the non-demoninational public board they want the education portion of municipal taxation to support.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Separate/Catholic schooling is free. Catholics have a right to run their own boards of ed., based on the Manitoba School Act of 18something or other.

In Alberta property owners pay property tax, and a percentage goes to public (you would call it state) schooling. On your tax form you declare whether your tax money goes to Catholic (usually separate, except for St Albert) or public.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
I'm surprised that you say there isn't any public schooling in the area you are looking at.

What is the big draw for you on the Catholic schooling?

Presumably because the OP is Catholic

Kids will need baptismal certificates in order to qualify, minimum will be one parent needs to prove catholicity - bapt. cert.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:28 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
the Catholic school board is a part of the publicly funded system. Municipal taxpayers (at least here in Ont., I assume it's similar nationwide) have to declare which out of the Catholic board or the non-demoninational public board they want the education portion of municipal taxation to support.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that in BC, catholic schools are deemed 'independent schools' and are only partially funded by the government.

There is no declaring anything on my municipal taxes in Victoria, BC in terms of education.

From the link in the post below:
"When it joined Confederation, British Columbia established a public, secular system. Today, faith-based schools operate as independent schools governed by provincial jurisdiction and receive a portion of their funding from the province."

Also:
"Ontario is the only province that fully funds Catholic education while not providing any funding to other faith-based schools, a holdover from Confederation."

Again, Ontario comes out as the most assbackward province.

Last edited by hwp; Jan 15th 2009 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies.

We are Catholic and the children are in Catholic Education here. It's a choice we made based upon our faith and how the schools work differently --not a lot but some.

The point of raising the question was like someone mentioned in this thread, over here the school is only partly funded--with the parents making up the rest as it is classed as an independent or faith school.

I was under the impression from talking to an expat when I was over, who is not a Catholic, that the schools were like private ?? Obviously from what people have said here it looks like the person I was talking to don't really know or has had the wrong information ??

Either way doesn't matter---just wanted to get some truths and fees if there are any.

Many Thanks

JET
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:45 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Here's a fairly recent summary of the funding for education in the various provinces.

http://www.cbc.ca/ontariovotes2007/f...res-faith.html
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

If it is like Calgary - and to the best of my knowledge it is, then as others have said the two (catholic and public) exist side by side. Catholic isn't private. As said earlier you get sent a form asking you to indicate which system you want to support with your taxes....I said public...You say Catholic that is all.....
Good luck with everything
Lisa
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies.

We are Catholic and the children are in Catholic Education here. It's a choice we made based upon our faith and how the schools work differently --not a lot but some.

The point of raising the question was like someone mentioned in this thread, over here the school is only partly funded--with the parents making up the rest as it is classed as an independent or faith school.

I was under the impression from talking to an expat when I was over, who is not a Catholic, that the schools were like private ?? Obviously from what people have said here it looks like the person I was talking to don't really know or has had the wrong information ??

Either way doesn't matter---just wanted to get some truths and fees if there are any.

Many Thanks

JET
Since they are not private each elementary, junior high and high school has geographic boundaries. Your kids will go the school in their area.

Alberta school rank highly in Canada, and Catholic schools even higher, so there will be plenty of good catholic schools for your kids in Edmonton.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a Google map of some of the Catholic Schools in Edmonton.