Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

Old May 6th 2006, 1:03 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catholic public schools vs non catholic public schools

Originally Posted by ramac
My children attend Catholic school here in Hamilton. All Catholic elementary schools in Hamilton now have a mandatory uniform rule that came into effect September 2005.
My personal opinion, I jumped up and down with joy.
Dont get me wrong, I welcome the idea of uniforms, it makes a lot of sense. What I have a problem with is that the girls uniform skirt dont cover the cheeks of there arse, even in the middle of winter. It would appear that girls get to wear a hideous above the knee skirt whether they want to on not around here, and there is no good reason for it. (other than perhaps to aid in teacher recruiting )

I realise that some kids will set out to shock within the rules available, (in my day we rebels used to wear white socks and damn the consequences ) but why the girls cant wear trousers if they want in this day and age (and climate!) is beyond my comprehension.
Old May 6th 2006, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont get me wrong, I welcome the idea of uniforms, it makes a lot of sense. What I have a problem with is that the girls uniform skirt dont cover the cheeks of there arse, even in the middle of winter. It would appear that girls get to wear a hideous above the knee skirt whether they want to on not around here, and there is no good reason for it. (other than perhaps to aid in teacher recruiting )

I realise that some kids will set out to shock within the rules available, (in my day we rebels used to wear white socks and damn the consequences ) but why the girls cant wear trousers if they want in this day and age (and climate!) is beyond my comprehension.

The difference between catholic schools with nuns and without!
Old May 6th 2006, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

It would appear that girls get to wear a hideous above the knee skirt whether they want to on not around here, and there is no good reason for it. (other than perhaps to aid in teacher recruiting )

I realise that some kids will set out to shock within the rules available, (in my day we rebels used to wear white socks and damn the consequences ) but why the girls cant wear trousers if they want in this day and age (and climate!) is beyond my comprehension.[/QUOTE]

The girls and the parents have a choice on what they wear. I am referring to Elementary school and I have only seen one or two girls wear kilts/skorts in the last week. Yes, I agree that the high school girls is another story all together :scared:
My daugher will be in High School in 1.5 years, and she will not be wearing a skirt half way up her a*#$, Its a parents responsibility to ensure that their children (and they are still kids at Grade 9) especially girls are aware of the message/vibe being thrown out there.
Yes, I know I have a big fight on my hands in the future.
Old May 6th 2006, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
The difference between catholic schools with nuns and without!

When i was a girl

We we're taught by Nun's all the way through school, Don't know how i survived to tell the tale
now my girl's have never been taught by a nun,
my youngest daughter was in the footie team run by the local priest but never been taught a lesson in school.

My Best friend went to the local convent school, i wouldn't say we're any different to any other adult for attending Catholic School, we have some different beliefs to others but no different as a person.

They used to frighten the life out of us, it's a wonder I'm not in hell already :scared:
Old May 6th 2006, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shelly1
When i was a girl

We we're taught by Nun's all the way through school, Don't know how i survived to tell the tale
now my girl's have never been taught by a nun,
my youngest daughter was in the footie team run by the local priest but never been taught a lesson in school.

My Best friend went to the local convent school, i wouldn't say we're any different to any other adult for attending Catholic School, we have some different beliefs to others but no different as a person.

They used to frighten the life out of us, it's a wonder I'm not in hell already :scared:
PMSL - I know the feeling. The nuns from the convent I went to were sure I was going to end up in hell!

Our skirts had to be be in the middle of our knee and I can remember the nuns doing random measuring to make it was.
Old May 7th 2006, 7:49 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

Originally Posted by ramac
It would appear that girls get to wear a hideous above the knee skirt whether they want to on not around here, and there is no good reason for it. (other than perhaps to aid in teacher recruiting )

The girls and the parents have a choice on what they wear. I am referring to Elementary school and I have only seen one or two girls wear kilts/skorts in the last week. Yes, I agree that the high school girls is another story all together :scared:
My daugher will be in High School in 1.5 years, and she will not be wearing a skirt half way up her a*#$, Its a parents responsibility to ensure that their children (and they are still kids at Grade 9) especially girls are aware of the message/vibe being thrown out there.
Yes, I know I have a big fight on my hands in the future. [/QUOTE]

Ha ha, Not sure what your daughter's personality is like, but it amazes me how many girls roll up their kilt as soon as they leave the house, then roll it back down again on the way home (I've seen girls doing it at the end of our road!). Just grateful I have two boys (both under 6, so lots of time to worry about high school!).
Old May 8th 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Hi

My husband is Catholic (pretty lapsed however!) so our kids would/could be eligible.

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Snowqueen
The reasons why the Catholic Schools tend to be better is probably the same as why Canada seems better than the U.K.: "More prayer always helps! " in whatever you do. If you do choose to send your children to a Catholic School consider practicing the Catholic Faith more seriously to reinforce the same positive effect. What I find in England is that in Catholic schools many children come from families where quite frankly there is no sign of any faith. The same is also true of many teachers who work there. So much so that children of parents where for example the whole family may pray together would feel like they are engaging in something "fundamentally" wierd and pointless.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by aine1804
How does this apply to Halifax, Nova Scotia. My children are in Catholic schools here in the UK and we would like to continue their Catholic education when we move but as far as I can see the only Catholic education available is through independent private schools at a cost of $6-$8 k p.a.!! Definately a no no!
Nova Scotia does not have a separate school board for Catholics. The school system is entirely secular. The only option for including religion as part of their daily education is a private school - Sacred Heart is the one to look for, which I suspect is the one which quoted you those costs.
Old May 8th 2006, 1:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
The reasons why the Catholic Schools tend to be better is probably the same as why Canada seems better than the U.K.: "More prayer always helps! " in whatever you do. If you do choose to send your children to a Catholic School consider practicing the Catholic Faith more seriously to reinforce the same positive effect. What I find in England is that in Catholic schools many children come from families where quite frankly there is no sign of any faith. The same is also true of many teachers who work there. So much so that children of parents where for example the whole family may pray together would feel like they are engaging in something "fundamentally" wierd and pointless.
I'd just like to say that I do find religious faith to be fundamentally weird and pointless.
Old May 8th 2006, 1:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Nova Scotia does not have a separate school board for Catholics. The school system is entirely secular.
I believe this is true of all Canada except Ontario. Even Newfoundland has moved on from dividing the whole world into Catholics and Presbys.
Old May 8th 2006, 1:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I believe this is true of all Canada except Ontario. Even Newfoundland has moved on from dividing the whole world into Catholics and Presbys.
Here in calgary we have a catholic school district? and we have to say yay or nay to being catholic so they can decide which schools get the education element of our property tax!!
Old May 8th 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd just like to say that I do find religious faith to be fundamentally weird and pointless.
Well you aere certainly not alone!
Old May 8th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gezza
Although my husband is 'non-active Catholic', I am a practicing Anglican, and my kids go to a Church school at present. My reason for considering Catholic schools in Canada is precisely because I do want their faith-based education to continue. I am not just trying to use religion as a convenience to get my kids into the best school!

Snowqueen
Old May 8th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink

Rolling your skirt waistband up to shock as been going on for a long time, we used to get to the end of the street and roll up our waistbands.
When the Nun's caught us with our skirts higher than the measured 18in we where whacked with the cane across the back of the legs.
we never learnt from it and as you can guess our waistbands were up and down more times than a brides nightie
Old May 9th 2006, 9:11 am
Just Joined

gules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nice

Does anyone know if there are public catholic schools in montreal? I know there are private ones. My kids are in Catholic school at the mo in Uk and will like them to continue in a Catholic environment in Montreal. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.