Reload this Page >

Cat travel via Europe??

Wikiposts

Cat travel via Europe??

Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Nok Tok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cat travel via Europe??

Hi Everybody, this is my first post but i have been looking through the forum a lot over the last few weeks, a great source of info!

Anyway, i have just received my job over to work in Montreal (on a TWP) and i start in 4 weeks! This is not much time to sort everything out and in particular it causes trouble with taking our pet cat, Humphrey.

Now, i get round to my question....... the best flight option for me is to travel via Amsterdam, or Paris, then onto Montreal but i don't have a pet passport, does anybody know if i need a pet passport for a cat who is only transferring at a European airport? Flying from London is apparently not possible until after 31st March, is this right even if going in the plane's cabin at my feet?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat travel via Europe??

Don't quote me on it but I was under the impression that it had to be direct flights to take a pet as its the take off and landing that causes them the most stress.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:41 am
Just Joined

veeandsimon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

There are direct flights from Heathrow to Montreal with Air Canada. You can take your cat as excess baggage. The Winter Embargo dates (until March 31st) only apply to domestic flights. That is how I am flying my cats in March. I called Air Canada, they take your flight information, then call you back if the cat is allowed to fly - it costs £109 pounds + you have to get the air kennel, documentations, etc. If you are planning on returning to the UK, you will need a pet passport.

If you do take your cat to Paris or Amsterdam, I do think he will be able to fly in the cabin with you with KLM or Air France, but have no idea whether you need a pet passport to go there. I do however know that the cat would have to fly in the hold (not cabin) from the UK. So, if you wanted him at your feet from Paris or Amsterdam to Montreal, you would have to collect him first and then take him on the plane which might be a lot of time for the cat.

Good luck!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, great info. I did call air canada and they said flying a cat from London was never possible in the cabin, embargo time or not?!? I had the feeling i was talking to a numpty though, may try to call again........

Our cat is proving the most troublesom aspect of emmigrating so far

thanks
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nok Tok
Thanks, great info. I did call air canada and they said flying a cat from London was never possible in the cabin, embargo time or not?!? I had the feeling i was talking to a numpty though, may try to call again........

Our cat is proving the most troublesom aspect of emmigrating so far

thanks
Hi again, I should have specified that when I said I was flying my cats as excess baggage with Air Canada, I meant in the hold, which is heated and pressurised- it is not possible in the cabin because of UK restrictions. As someone else mentioned, this might be less traumatic than putting them through two take offs and landings.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by veeandsimon
Hi,

There are direct flights from Heathrow to Montreal with Air Canada. You can take your cat as excess baggage. The Winter Embargo dates (until March 31st) only apply to domestic flights. That is how I am flying my cats in March. I called Air Canada, they take your flight information, then call you back if the cat is allowed to fly - it costs £109 pounds + you have to get the air kennel, documentations, etc. If you are planning on returning to the UK, you will need a pet passport.

If you do take your cat to Paris or Amsterdam, I do think he will be able to fly in the cabin with you with KLM or Air France, but have no idea whether you need a pet passport to go there. I do however know that the cat would have to fly in the hold (not cabin) from the UK. So, if you wanted him at your feet from Paris or Amsterdam to Montreal, you would have to collect him first and then take him on the plane which might be a lot of time for the cat.

Good luck!
Hi veeandsimon,

Thanks for the advice. Think Humphrey in the hold and going direct is the best option.

If you have a quick minute can I also ask if you (or anyone else) would list the documentation needed? As far as we can make out, we need an export certificate, a fit to fly certificate and air canada expect a rabies vaccination to be done, verified in writing by the vet. Is that everything? Its just so hard to get accurate information on eactly what you need! So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if air canada allow you to sedate your pet as our vet is happy to do so?

Any tips on really good pet carriers would also be helpful!

That's all (I think) for now!

Cheers.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi veeandsimon,

air canada expect a rabies vaccination to be done, verified in writing by the vet.
Hi
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years it takes ages for the whole rabies certificate - when I last checked it was about 6 months?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Hi veeandsimon,

If you have a quick minute can I also ask if you (or anyone else) would list the documentation needed? As far as we can make out, we need an export certificate, a fit to fly certificate and air canada expect a rabies vaccination to be done, verified in writing by the vet. Is that everything? Its just so hard to get accurate information on eactly what you need! So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if air canada allow you to sedate your pet as our vet is happy to do so?

Any tips on really good pet carriers would also be helpful!

That's all (I think) for now!

Cheers.
Hi again,

I am not 100% certain about the documentation as I am also in the process of getting the paperwork available. Air Canada said the cat should be vaccinated against rabies, verified in writing by the vet along with the certificate. I have also heard you need a fit to fly from the vet 48 hours prior to departure, but the lady at Air Canada said I didn't (I will get one anyways). Not sure what the export certificate is, so if you find out, let me know!

I do know that tranquilizers and other medications are not recommended, so I wouldn't sedate it. You can buy a spray instead that is suppose to calm them. I am not sedating mine.

As for the kennel, I am using a plastic Vari Kennel that I haven't bought yet. Most agencies sell them even if you don't use their services - I called Air pets and they were really helpful with sizes. You must provide the dimensions of the carrier and the weight of your cat when you book your flight with Air Canada.

Hope that helps a little ... maybe someone will be able to provide us with more info.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

If I were you I would check with DEFRA about trying to go through Europe on you way to Canada. They will know all the rules with regards pet passports (or lack of them). They will also know about what documentation you need. In fact I would check with DEFRA which ever way you decide to go. One word of warning, please make sure your kennel is airline approved, not all of them are, although if you get one from a pet transport company I would think you would be safe. Also, airlines will NOT take a pet if it has been sedated. Too dangerous for the animal.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Thanks again for advice The export certificate is as far as I know definately needed. DEFRA gave me a number for the export department (01228 403600 option 2) and I spoke with an advisor who stated I wouldn't be able to take Humphrey out of the country without one. She agreed to send me information via e-mail which I haven't had yet. I would defiantely give them a call.

It does take a while for the rabies vaccine to be completed but my vet advised 6 to 8 weeks. They do the injection then they have to send away a blood test to basically make sure its worked. Will double check it though as 6 months would be a nightmare.

I just wish there was one place you could get all the info you need rather than having to phone the airline, the vet, DEFRA, the export service, the equivalent to DEFRA in Canada, the embassy...etc etc! And everyone tells you to ring one of the other organisations who then tell you the same thing

So this forum has been really handy.

Any other advice is of course very welcomed.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nok Tok

When I spoke to the guy I'm dealing with at the pet agents, he told me that do not listen to my vet if they say I need a certificate from DEFRA because he said I definately don't need one even though some vets argue that you do. He said he helps send hundreds of pets around the world every year and he said all you need for Canada is the customs entry form (which an agent sorts out for you if you go via Thomas Cook), a rabies certificate and a fit-to-fly certificate....according to him, nothing else is needed.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Hi Nok Tok

When I spoke to the guy I'm dealing with at the pet agents, he told me that do not listen to my vet if they say I need a certificate from DEFRA because he said I definately don't need one even though some vets argue that you do. He said he helps send hundreds of pets around the world every year and he said all you need for Canada is the customs entry form (which an agent sorts out for you if you go via Thomas Cook), a rabies certificate and a fit-to-fly certificate....according to him, nothing else is needed.
Hi farjojo71

Thanks for that. Whose the pet agent you are using? Is it expensive?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi farjojo71

Thanks for that. Whose the pet agent you are using? Is it expensive?
Its costing me £502 for 2 cats...that includes the price of the flight for them and also for the agent to forward me the entry form that I will need when I arrive in Canada to get the cats through customs. I rang around a few agents and the one I've booked with were £100+ less than the others I spoke to. The agent I'm using is Petsaway and the contact I spoke to is Dave.