Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

casual work, no work visa

Wikiposts

casual work, no work visa

Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: casual work, no work visa

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Talking of paying for Jobs, is prostitution legal in Canada, you know, you lot being very liberal and all that...

I thought it was officer ...... Honestly
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Talking of paying for Jobs, is prostitution legal in Canada, you know, you lot being very liberal and all that...
Basically, yes it is. If done the right way.

Why do you ask?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Ahhhhhhh, the sweet, sickly aroma that can only be the finest Eau de Sanctimony.

I hope nobody on replying on this thread has ever paid cash to someone, say a cleaner, or a window cleaner, or to a tradesman for a 'little job'...
What difference does paying cash, cheque or whatever have to do with anything?
I have paid cash for jobs, but not to illegal workers.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
What difference does paying cash, cheque or whatever have to do with anything?
I have paid cash for jobs, but not to illegal workers.
So you asked all those contractors who barely spoke English to show you their papers? I don't think so. Just last year I had a roofing job done for cash. The frontman was clearly Canadian born & bred, but the guy who did the work was from an undetermined East European country. Not a word of English.

I was impressed though because even though the pneumatic hammer he was supplied with by the boss didn't work, he did the job by hand, although to finish it he had to keep going well after dark.

He may have had no choice. What can you do?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So you asked all those contractors who barely spoke English to show you their papers? I don't think so. Just last year I had a roofing job done for cash. The frontman was clearly Canadian born & bred, but the guy who did the work was from an undetermined East European country. Not a word of English.

I was impressed though because even though the pneumatic hammer he was supplied with by the boss didn't work, he did the job by hand, although to finish it he had to keep going well after dark.

He may have had no choice. What can you do?
Everyone I've had work for me is a bonafide tradesman. All contractors we use have to provide WCB numbers and proof of insurance before they can begin anything. Even homeowners are responsible for WCB, if a contractor has an accident, the homeowner is on the hook as the employer.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:50 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone I've had work for me is a bonafide tradesman. All contractors we use have to provide WCB numbers and proof of insurance before they can begin anything. Even homeowners are responsible for WCB, if a contractor has an accident, the homeowner is on the hook as the employer.
As a business owner I'm sure you do check for proper paperwork, but as a private individual, do you ensure that your window-cleaner, or dog-walker, or babysitter, is properly registered, has valid TWP or residency status, and pays their taxes and WCB? Or do you just give them some cash, no questions asked, and 'see you next month'?

The cash economy, the black economy... that's the real lubrication round the gears of industry.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:16 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

As a business owner I'm sure you do check for proper paperwork, but as a private individual, do you ensure that your window-cleaner, or dog-walker, or babysitter, is properly registered, has valid TWP or residency status, and pays their taxes and WCB? Or do you just give them some cash, no questions asked, and 'see you next month'?

The cash economy, the black economy... that's the real lubrication round the gears of industry.
Or Tart!

Living in cloud cookoo land if you think everyone is a bonefide worker, cash working off the books is everywhere and in almost every line of work, unless that industry is so heavily regulated to protect the citizens. (Nursing, teachers.........
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:56 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

An employer is required, by law, to confirm that the people they hire are allowed t work in Canada and to withhold tax and CPP and EI.

The payment arrangement with self-employed people is purely a matter of negotiation.

The two are not comparable in the slightest.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:58 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
An employer is required, by law, to confirm that the people they hire are allowed t work in Canada and to withhold tax and CPP and EI.

The payment arrangement with self-employed people is purely a matter of negotiation.

The two are not comparable in the slightest.
Cash in hand work is surely just "self-employment by negotiation"...
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:06 am

Don't have babies, dogs have 30+ acres to run wild on and the windows take care of themselves or a quick hose down suffices.

As a homeowner I do the same as for business. If a contractor does not have WCB coverage, I either put them on mine homeowners (for which they have to provide information) or don't hire them. I think the only time I came across an illegal worker was someone who gave false information and as soon as we found out let him go (less than a week of hire date).

Every homeowner as well as business owner is as responsible as the other. Home owners are employers paying a contractor, if that contractor does not have insurance or WCB, the homeowner is responsible and will get the bill. An illegal worker falls off the roof, WCB will still come in and still pay the costs of the worker, but will reclaim it off of the employer, the homeowner.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:09 am

It's self employment and nothing else. One does not make deductions for self employed contractors, they are responsible for their own taxes. There is nothing that says one has to pay cheque, cash, Visa or barter. The tax liability is the same, what the contractor does is up to them. If they fail to give a receipt, it is up to the anyone as the employer whether they accept that or dob them in with the authorities. If both parties agree to a cash transaction to avoid sales tax, that makes both parties complicit.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:16 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There are enough rules about the difference between an employee and a subcontractor. Distinguishing one from the other is not difficult.

A home owner needed a new roof. A contractor estimated $10,000. "Any discount for cash?" the homeowner asked. "All cash, no paperwork, nothing? $7,500." "Done," said homeowner.

Job completed, $7,500 paid.

A week later the homeowner got a letter from a lawyer demanding payment of $10,000 as per the estimate. "But I have already paid," said the homeowner. "No you haven't," said the contractor as he slapped a lien on the house.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:44 am
Lowering the tone

It's Sunday, so the pious and righteous can have this thread today.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:19 am

It's Sunday, so the pious and righteous can have this thread today.
or those that don't know that don't know how to respond
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:52 am
Lowering the tone

or those that don't know that don't know how to respond
OK, you know I'll bite to that...

The OP - long since departed, no doubt - just wanted to know about the chances of casual working for a wee bit of cash in hand in order to string out his budget on a 4 month holiday visa. Instead, he was walloped with rule books and "how I run my own private airline".

You never know, though... perhaps, as a direct result of your responses, the OP has gone to apply for a SIN card and is guiltily feeding $20 notes through the letterbox of the Canada Revenue Agency.